Audio & Lighting

Discussing all things Ravenloft
leatherstarfish
Conspirator
Conspirator

Audio & Lighting

Post by leatherstarfish »

Has anybody used lighting or audio in their Ravenloft sessions? If so, what did you do and how successful was it? Thanks in advance.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Audio & Lighting

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Personally, lighting, no. Music, definitely.

Here's our compilation thread on the subject:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=5&t=7995
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Both. I always try to kill overhead lights for Ravenloft, and have it just barely bright enough that no one complains.

Music, too. I think instrumental works best unless you have a specific song queued up for a specific event. I've used Alice Cooper's 'This House Is Haunted' to great effect.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I did a Ravenloft game during a funeral viewing (TRUE STORY), which I think trumps audio and lighting.

(Yes, we were invited to game; and yes, the bereaved were happy we were gaming there.)
leatherstarfish
Conspirator
Conspirator

I was thinking of grabbing some audio from tabletop audio. In planning for Night of the Walking Dead, I was thinking the swamp and storm ones on a loop might be good. I was also thinking that anything beyond dimming the lights might be excessive.

I am trying to add additional aspects to keep the PCs on their toes. They are all experienced and I am trying to give them something different. Something they have not seen before.
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

NOx Arcana has some great audio for gaming. Once used our kerosine lamps to game it worked great but my father in law has bad eye sight so was kinda difficult for him. Wasn't planned we lost power for a couple hours during a wind storm
Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms
And the moon is full and bright
leatherstarfish
Conspirator
Conspirator

Sounds like a perfect setting for Ravenloft.
thepoorman
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by thepoorman »

My wife suggested we use candlelight as much as possible when our current campaign started. We have a big beautiful dark wood table with a lazy Susan in the middle that we put a half-dozen candles on. The candlesticks are these nice brass-looking things that we came in to possession of when a friend moved away and vanished from the face of the Earth. We keep the overhead lighting just low enough that we can see the rest of the room so nobody steps on a dog or cat but there are enough candles to read books by if necessary.

I've always used music for all my RPGs, and for this session I'm using various tracks from the soundtracks to "The Witch" (which is a perfect horror movie), "Mama", "The Woman in Black", and a few tracks from Midnight Syndicate's various works. My Ravenloft theme song has always been "Moonlight Sonata", the slower and deeper the better.