Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by Brandi »

That picture's... a bit big.

Anyway, it looks like the new Tarokka is about the size of a Magic card, which makes it pretty much standard playing card size (like the old Forbidden Lore Tarokka).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:It also drops the name somewhere... I can't remember where.
Dilisnya is one of the common Barovian names listed for generating local character names.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

The way I'm looking at Curse of Strahd is that it's like the "Ultimate" version of Ravenloft, like Marvel's Ultimate run a while ago. It takes what we know and love about Ravenloft and puts a fresh new spin on it, updating and revising somethings. Ravenloft 616, if you will, still exists, but this is just an alternate take on a classic. Personally, I think we should embrace it and maybe do "Ultimate" revamps of other Darklords and domains. Could be kind of fun.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

A wave of errata and precisions just came out : http://dndadventurersleague.org/curse-o ... amendment/
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:The way I'm looking at Curse of Strahd is that it's like the "Ultimate" version of Ravenloft, like Marvel's Ultimate run a while ago. It takes what we know and love about Ravenloft and puts a fresh new spin on it, updating and revising somethings. Ravenloft 616, if you will, still exists, but this is just an alternate take on a classic. Personally, I think we should embrace it and maybe do "Ultimate" revamps of other Darklords and domains. Could be kind of fun.
I kinda agree with you, except I see Cos as an expansion of the original concept that is self contained. The advantage of that being it's clearly expanded from I6, Allowing that module to still be used as it was originally intended and CoS being closer to a campaign. Being self contained allows noobies who know little to nothing of the last 25 years of the ravenloft setting a fresh start without needing to research back stories and such to grasp the material. Luckily, a DM with a fair bit of knowledge could easily adjust CoS to fit with the ravenloft campaign setting.

I'd like to see more Darklords and work the other lands in, but perhaps have more unanswered questions. I hated having those great unknowns unveiled after being a fan for so long.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

In all honesty, our beloved setting is considered the mutation by the original author Mr Hickman. If it didn't have so darn much traction it would be easier to ignore. It seems to me that I6 and now CoS is more castlevania than the mature Gothic setting we read, ran (and then wrote) for the last 26 years. Given the helm again as a consultant, Hickman corrected the course of his creation to line up with the way he's seen it for nearly 40 years. It might only be jarring because we haven't been at his gaming table. Ultimate I6 is an interesting take on the whole thing, I just fear that sine WE are considered to be the aberration tonthe original concept that there's no real reason to expect more of what we know. In fact, the one thing we fought against in the 90s was the argument that our setting was more complex than simply D & D goes to Transylvania. In its original form, and in this newest iteration... It's exactly that. So do we run Castlevania? Or will we make our own adjustments to run a more Gothic game? From the looks of it, the latter will take more work.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Nothing wrong with a bit of work. :D Way I look at, these things all take a bit of work anyways.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:In all honesty, our beloved setting is considered the mutation by the original author Mr Hickman. If it didn't have so darn much traction it would be easier to ignore. It seems to me that I6 and now CoS is more castlevania than the mature Gothic setting we read, ran (and then wrote) for the last 26 years. Given the helm again as a consultant, Hickman corrected the course of his creation to line up with the way he's seen it for nearly 40 years. It might only be jarring because we haven't been at his gaming table. Ultimate I6 is an interesting take on the whole thing, I just fear that sine WE are considered to be the aberration tonthe original concept that there's no real reason to expect more of what we know. In fact, the one thing we fought against in the 90s was the argument that our setting was more complex than simply D & D goes to Transylvania. In its original form, and in this newest iteration... It's exactly that. So do we run Castlevania? Or will we make our own adjustments to run a more Gothic game? From the looks of it, the latter will take more work.

I have to say that WotC are selling 3e Ravenloft material and will probably have the whole thing up for sale. So... while this may be "D&D goes Ravenloft!" the material to make awesome campaigns is still there. Sure, there are no updates that further the story-line. However the story-line is long enough. And with DMGuild and our FoS we can still see awesome things and take ideas to further our campaigns.
There have been QtR issues that are as good or even better as official, published material. And I'm not talking Champions of Darkness, but the good stuff.

Curse of Strahd is a very fine adventure. Not 100% compatible with the setting. But I can take bits and pieces out of it and run them elsewhere. As I've said before, my campaign on a different world was heading towards a big infernal temple that people used to obtain knowledge. Well, now I have one ready.
That creepy mill with the hags? You can put it everywhere. Borca, Invidia, Barovia, Richemulot, Darkon, Tepest, Mordent, Nova Vaasa... Well, in "our" Ravenloft they would be problematic with the 3 reality wrinkles but you could change the hags.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

My take from 5E is that we as gamers do our own homework, much like 1E, Basic, and some of 2E (the Great Push of Forgotten Realms aside). And with the DMS Guild we are now given the oppurtunity to hand in our homework for peer review.

Old material is still available obviously for a multitude of reasons, but key is the available resources to help us create and share our OWN tales and (mis)adventures.

Not pushing a Ravenloft setting, or others for that matter, is them not pissing on the past, which enables all generations to participate in the Experiment. Its an olive branch so to speak. Now wether or not they continue to do so is a future that is beyond my two cents. But as is, I like this approach. In the least, this slowed pace that allows individual platforms, be it private or public, to be built and stood upon.

It's saving them money by keeping production costs of setting (re)design down, and also, conveniently, empowers the Table/community.

I say no more changes other than what's neccessary to introduce new players to old players. And once we shake hands after introductions it's game on. 5E is our offered common ground.

The 3E boys got Ravenloft fleshed out for imagination overload (2E was enough for myself personally but I tip my hat all the same), so leave Ravenloft alone!

My shadows need no more light...

;)
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

New mini coming, last one is named "Zarovich" : http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... rmenagerie

And another one is Ezmeralda, from CoS.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

I like the Gale force nine one here: http://www.gf9-dnd.com/miniatures/tabid ... fault.aspx

I'll be picking up monster menagerie packs later this month. My terrible luck means I'm most likely going to have to flatly order a strahd somewhere.
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

New character background options were released for Curse of Strahd Adventurer's League season. Most relate to the Phlan-side of things, but some can easily be applied to Barovian adventures:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote:New mini coming, last one is named "Zarovich" : http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... rmenagerie

And another one is Ezmeralda, from CoS.
From the gallery here:
http://wizkids.com/dd-icons-of-the-real ... menagerie/

it looks like there will be invisible variants of both Strahd and Ezmerelda, and a Strahd Zombie, as well as a bunch of Ravenloft-ish monsters, in the set.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
From the gallery here:
http://wizkids.com/dd-icons-of-the-real ... menagerie/

it looks like there will be invisible variants of both Strahd and Ezmerelda, and a Strahd Zombie, as well as a bunch of Ravenloft-ish monsters, in the set.
Makes sense. I think all the 5E adventures save for hoard of the dragon queen have had a miniatures set in some relation by wizkids.

Since I'm getting the GF9 Strahd on his nightmare, I'll snag the unicorn in monster menagerie. Clip off the horn and a quick paint job and there's a nightmare.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I just makes me sad that (due time constraints) I'm not able to play either CoS or OotA adventures, but just take out pieces of them for my campaign.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!