Important changes to canon Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Important changes to canon Ravenloft

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Esteemed members of the Fraternity,
Miladies,

As you all know, we are extremely pleased that Ravenloft's first adventure, 1983's I-6: Ravenloft, got a reboot for 5th edition, in the luscious book, Curse of Strahd. This great new adventure revisits the seminal one, and adds many new layers of intrigue, new places, new adventure hooks, new NPCs, etc.

As a reboot designed to be played independent from the Ravenloft, the setting, it also proposes incorporates elements of the setting, with a few changes.

In fact, we are so pleased by this new adventure that we declare all Curse of Strahd changes to be Ravenloft canon here on our boards and website!

What follows is an incomplete list of these new Ravenloft canon changes. We are working on a complete list, soon to be released.

(if you plan to play this adventure - stop here as the following list contains spoilers!)

- Strahd did built the castle Ravenloft after a war of conquest (and didn't take it as a war prize from the Tergs, as in I, Strahd). This has a minor impact on the Ravenloft calendar.

- the famous enemy of the supernatural Van Richten now lives in Barovia (and not in Mordent).

- Sir Klutz Tripalotsky (Ravenloft's crypt # 33) is retrofitted to be the historical founder of the Knight of Shadows.

- Secret lore from a soon to be released Curse of Strahd companion adventure: the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins are in fact hags in disguise, whose current plot is looking for a third hag to form a coven to defeat Strahd!

- Ireena Kolyana is in fact blonde, but she secretly dyes her hair.

- Everything outside Barovia does not exist. In your books, discussions, and online campaigns here on our message boards, please change any outside location to "Barovia."

We declare that for us this is all canon from now on, and we fully expect that all discussions on our boards will take these changes into account. Please mark these changes in your Ravenloft books, and use them in your current campaign.

Later this April, a complete errata to implement these facts in previous 2nd and 3rd edition Ravenloft books will be made available. You'll be able to correct the Ravenloft books you own manually or with Post-it notes. We hope it won't be a fool's job to implement all these changes in your books, but we are convinced that these changes are for the best for the future interest of the setting.

We need your feedback! Do you think the changes are positives? Please react in this thread!

Again, those in the know, no spoilers for now!

Sincerely,

Joël, for everybody at the Souragne Fraternity of Shadows: David, Joël, Leyshon, Nathan, Ron, Sharon, and Stephen

"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Important changes to canon Ravenloft

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Now, that's interesting.

Anxious to see the rest!

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

That all works for me!
Joël of the FoS wrote: - Secret lore from a soon to be released Curse of Strahd companion adventure: the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins are in fact hags in disguise, whose current plot is looking for a third hag to form a coven to defeat Strahd!
I knew it!
Joël of the FoS wrote: - Ireena Kolyana is in fact blonde, but she secretly dyes her hair.
That explains a lot!
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Chaderick
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chaderick »

Finally. This is the Ravenloft that I've been wanting to play since 1983.

You guys keep making the setting better!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Too be fair, it was all that other crap that was beginning to turn me off from the setting. Now we can be serious and hone Barovia into the setting we have been needing for decades.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Sincerely,

Joël, for everybody at the Souragne Fraternity of Shadows: David, Joël, Leyshon, Nathan, Ron, Sharon, and Stephen
You mean Barovia FoS, yes? :azalin:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

thekristhomas wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote: Sincerely,

You mean Barovia FoS, yes? :azalin:
Indeed :roll:
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

But they took away everything that was great! No mention of Risibilos, hahaha! That's not funny at all, hahaha!

rabblerrabblerabblerabblerabble
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

You will have to excuse Joel, he is missing his beloved Sorragne right now. He'll get over it though. I am more gutted over losing Vorostokov, my homeland is no more! I also know on good authority that there are some lovely changes on the way and when Malocchio returns he has gained something truly wonderful at his disposal, but he will now be based in the South West of Barovia :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Excelent fish of April, lol.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Thanks for playing along everyone, Happy April!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Pfff... I kind of figured by the first reply.