Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by alhoon »

Well, there are several as far as I've seen. The Amber Temple is the most obvious IMO.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
dead
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by dead »

Resonant Curse wrote:Nowhere has it ever been said that he is one of the most powerful in the multiverse. He was very strong for Greyhawk, moderate power for Forgotten Realms, the planes, etc. Some of the Circle of Eight were as low as 12th level if I remember correctly. Mordenkainen is (in)famous, that does not necessarily equate to actual power. He had a lot of connections and allies, not to mention a personal army to back up his ne in Greyhawk.
Mordenkainen is a 27th level mage in the 3E Epic Level Handbook. This would be around 591 CY on Oerth.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

dead wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:Nowhere has it ever been said that he is one of the most powerful in the multiverse. He was very strong for Greyhawk, moderate power for Forgotten Realms, the planes, etc. Some of the Circle of Eight were as low as 12th level if I remember correctly. Mordenkainen is (in)famous, that does not necessarily equate to actual power. He had a lot of connections and allies, not to mention a personal army to back up his ne in Greyhawk.
Mordenkainen is a 27th level mage in the 3E Epic Level Handbook. This would be around 591 CY on Oerth.

Apparently he power leveled since 2nd edition.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Since Gygax made epic levels to continue leveling his character... I would say he was always an insanely powerful, world-bending powerful, wizard.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Got my taroka deck this afternoon :twisted:

Cool object, cool drawings, but ...it is small! The images on the cards are barely bigger than CoS's appendix.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What?
You just saved me from a lot of money...
My DMGuild work!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Got my taroka deck this afternoon :twisted:

Cool object, cool drawings, but ...it is small! The images on the cards are barely bigger than CoS's appendix.

Joël
It's a shame that they're so small. I guess it's a good thing I ordered mine for a little over $7 on eBay.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

I'll probably bite the bullet and pick up the tarokka deck tomorrow at my FLGS. Can you give the cards measurements? A smaller deck might suit my needs.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dreamakuma wrote:I'll probably bite the bullet and pick up the tarokka deck tomorrow at my FLGS. Can you give the cards measurements? A smaller deck might suit my needs.
8,8 cm x 6,3 cm, or 3,5 in x 2,5 inch
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:WotC's Mike Mearls just posted that Curse of Strahd is currently #6 on Publishers Weekly's hardcover fiction list. That's a damn impressive accomplishment -- and it shows that there's a hunger for non-FR material.

Here's the link: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/niel ... ction.html
I was on a mini-vacation last week visiting family, and they live in a bigger city center than me. I couldn't find a single copy of the Curse of Strahd anywhere in the town of roughly 40,000 people. So I went to the next closest town of over 100,000 people, and had no luck. Sold out, everywhere.

Oddly, I found two copies for sale in a town we passed through on the way home, of only 3,700 people. But by then I had already ordered it at a good discount from Amazon and got it in two days.

So if any of that is anything to go by, it's selling well enough.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

The book doesn't make any mention of the Dilisnya family or Leo's betrayal, does it?
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Nope. From what I can see, the connections to the larger setting have not been explicitly included. (Although there seems to be more than enough wiggle room to include them if you want).
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

It does say that the Watchers have Leo's bones.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

It also drops the name somewhere... I can't remember where.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

The Watcher's have Leo's bones in one of the rooms inside Vallaki, so that he could not be ressed as a punishment for betraying Strahd. (I'd really like to make Leo an ally against Strahd in this campaign just need to figure out how to convey the information, that it might be a good idea to resurrect him....) Though my players just got to Vallaki and have not quiet gotten to the politics.... They were amused by Blinsky's shop however.... :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf