CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Post by Ender »

Oh, yeah, I don't necessarily expect to see it in print. I was referring to Chris' interview:
Chris Perkins wrote:In Curse of Strahd, we don't explore any other domains of dread. However, at least one character in the story hails from the land of Darkon, so we know the other domains are out there somewhere.
But yeah, I'm not banking on having that directly backed up by the adventure.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

alhoon wrote:I guess they would be about Death-House in size and I would recommend putting them to groups of 4-5.
Thank you, I appreciate the information.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:
alhoon wrote:I guess they would be about Death-House in size and I would recommend putting them to groups of 4-5.
Thank you, I appreciate the information.
It's speculation, not information!
Ender wrote:Oh, yeah, I don't necessarily expect to see it in print. I was referring to Chris' interview:
Chris Perkins wrote:In Curse of Strahd, we don't explore any other domains of dread. However, at least one character in the story hails from the land of Darkon, so we know the other domains are out there somewhere.
Oh, well if you're not going by "what it'll be on print" then the sky is the limit... :) They could insinuate everything if one's willing to do the extra mile.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Then I'll hope that the speculation is correct. If not though, I do have some ideas on how to keep them once printed off.

I don't understand why they didn't release the first module yesterday so that DMs would have a chance to read up on it before the release of Curse of Strahd. Also, does anyone happen to know what day the tarokka deck will be released?
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

alhoon wrote:
Ender wrote:Oh, yeah, I don't necessarily expect to see it in print. I was referring to Chris' interview:
Oh, well if you're not going by "what it'll be on print" then the sky is the limit... :) They could insinuate everything if one's willing to do the extra mile.
Okay, okay, let me clarify some more: "I don't necessarily expect to see it in print" means that I don't expect to see a write-up of any other domains. Van Richten may be mentioned as being "from Darkon" with absolutely nothing else to indicate whether that's a country, world, village, etc.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yes, we don't disagree. I just haven't figured initially that you didn't expect to see a clear mention of the canon as we knew it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Most of the Adventurers League modules are meant to be 4 hours long. Others are 2 hours. You can see the lengths in the individual descriptions on the D&D AL site:
http://dndadventurersleague.org/curse-o ... dventures/

For a 4-hour adventure, we write approximately 10,000 words.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

For a 4-hour adventure, you write ten thou... :shock:

I sooo... wished WotC would start publishing adventures that were 4-6 sessions long instead of either 1 session or 30+ sessions adventures. Some middle ground is required.
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

IIRC, Murder in Balder's Gate was like that: a relatively contained, multi-session mystery/political thriller.

Overall, though, you can look at any of the AL seasons and cherry-pick a half-dozen modules from that storyline to create a 4- to 6-session tale for your campaign. The AL modules have tips on adjusting the scale for higher- or lower-strength parties.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:I sooo... wished WotC would start publishing adventures that were 4-6 sessions long instead of either 1 session or 30+ sessions adventures. Some middle ground is required.
There are reasons.
Short modules like that would be 32 to 64-pages and likely softcover. Thin spines that vanish on store shelves and aren't easy to identify. Even things as small as Pathfinder APs are difficult to really see from the spine and they're 96-pages IIRC.
Larger hardcover books are easier to see and thus easier to sell.

Longer campaigns keep people coming. Like the Tale of 1001 Nights, when you plan a D&D adventure and it doesn't end, you keep coming back. That incentivizes players to turn the one-shot game into a campaign.

You can also play smaller sections of an AP. It's not that hard to strip out a chunk of Princes of the Apocalypse or Out of the Abyss and make it into a mini-campaign, changing a few names and adding an ending.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ken of Ghastria wrote:Most of the Adventurers League modules are meant to be 4 hours long. Others are 2 hours. You can see the lengths in the individual descriptions on the D&D AL site:
http://dndadventurersleague.org/curse-o ... dventures/

For a 4-hour adventure, we write approximately 10,000 words.
I appreciate the information, thank you.
-Mordentish proverb
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
alhoon wrote:I sooo... wished WotC would start publishing adventures that were 4-6 sessions long instead of either 1 session or 30+ sessions adventures. Some middle ground is required.
There are reasons.
Short modules like that would be 32 to 64-pages and likely softcover. Thin spines that vanish on store shelves and aren't easy to identify. Even things as small as Pathfinder APs are difficult to really see from the spine and they're 96-pages IIRC.
Larger hardcover books are easier to see and thus easier to sell.

Longer campaigns keep people coming. Like the Tale of 1001 Nights, when you plan a D&D adventure and it doesn't end, you keep coming back. That incentivizes players to turn the one-shot game into a campaign.

You can also play smaller sections of an AP. It's not that hard to strip out a chunk of Princes of the Apocalypse or Out of the Abyss and make it into a mini-campaign, changing a few names and adding an ending.

Well, I don't know about those APs.
What I know is that I mean... electronic versions. Not dead tree versions, that are expensive, hard to find in Greece and come with a 3+ week delay.
a 32 page adventure in PDF is not hard to find.
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Map bundle for CoS : http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p6785461 ... #h603e2569

Krezk is very small !
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
mason
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by mason »

Yeah, the bundle is a great deal (with the 20% Gm day code) but I'm trying to figure out why the castle ravenloft maps don't seem to be up there.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ahem... that's 30$ from what I see. The adventure ALONG with the maps costs about as much. I don't think it's that great deal.
My DMGuild work!