5e character paths

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Aslan
Conspirator
Conspirator

5e character paths

Post by Aslan »

With my upcoming campaign, one of my players has inquired about playing a dirge. Now, with 3/3.5 there was the multiple dirge Prestige Classes someone could opt into, but I'm curious if anyone has developed any character options to account for this like the Bardic colleges that are listed in the PHB. Any thoughts or ideas on this?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: 5e character paths

Post by alhoon »

What is the dirge? And WotC recently published an Unearth Arcana article about how to make 2nd edition kits to paths, that included a couple of bardic colleges. You could use them, and the ones in the book, as reference to make what you wish for bards.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/kits-old

And remember the underlying message of D&D next: It's not broken if you all have good time with it.
Sure it may be a tad over-powered or under-powered. It's not that terrible and you'll fix it as the game progresses.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by The Pickled Punk »

The dirgist was a Prestige Class for bards in Van Richten's Arsenal. For 5E I would make it a new College, perhaps called the College of Sorrows, or the College of Mourning. Take a look at the four existing Colleges (2 in the PHB and 2 from Unearthed Arcana) and then look at the Dirgist's abilities from VRA. Bards gain College features at levels 3, 6 and 14, usually gaining two features at third.

I have to look at the Dirgist more carefully to give more suggestions.
The Kosher Pickled Punk of the Carnival
Aslan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Aslan »

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping that someone had already looked at working something up, but if they are really serious about it I'll start working on adapting it and share it here for review.