Ravenloft is coming to 5th edition... possibly.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Alanik Ray
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Ravenloft is coming to 5th edition... possibly.

Post by Alanik Ray »

Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Ravenloft is coming to 5th edition... possibly.

Post by Skyrock »

Happening-e time-e!

Could it finally happen again, after a lackluster 3.x and a teasing yet never fulfilled 4e season?
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Skyrock wrote:Happening-e time-e!

Could it finally happen again, after a lackluster 3.x and a teasing yet never fulfilled 4e season?
Only in your Darkest Dreams will you see that land.... Ravenloft. They promised to take us again one day.... but they never did. Well we are alone there now, waiting for the mist..... In our special place. ~ Edited Silent Hill 2 Intro.

If it ever comes to be it will be good. :) Until then... *A heavy mist rolls in*

We'll be waiting....
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Woo-hoo! That would be great news! The only thing that would make me anywhere near as hype would be Dark Sun 5E.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A season-long Ravenloft adventure, or at least gothic-influenced adventure, is welcome. We already have good madness rules in Out of the Abyss. Yes, I think it's quite possible to get an adventure based on Ravenloft or influenced by it in the next season. We had dragons, elementals, fiends & drow. Now it's undead time.

But I don't expect a campaign return any time soon. There is literally just ONE source book (and mediocre at that) about FR. First we will see other campaign books I guess.

In any case, D&D next is very conforming to old editions so Ravenloft can probably be played in 5e with just a little hiccup. Since no campaign book has come forth and the WotC silent nudge is "you want material on X setting? Buy the old books as PDFs" I don't think they will break the trend and publish a niche setting yet.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2014/12/dun ... dule-2018/

Nope, I was wrong.
Sorry guys. Next adventure will probably be... giants. And Shakespearean influenced.

So... I guess that Hill Giant chief, the Fire Giant King and that Frost giant Jarl will be the focus of some intense scrutiny and detail since it's Shakespeare-influenced. Going by guesswork I think that with the giant society revolving around the central figure, the Chief\Jarl\King we will get a lot more details on giants and their society.
I believe the Hill giants will become nomadic (chiefs, steadings), the fire giants decadent and structured (Kings, courts etc) and the Frost Giants will be wild and Viking-y.

I'm really interested to see how on earth they will manage THIS time to start a ragtag band of 1st lvl goblin fodder to giant-hunting levels (5th at the minimum).
Well, if they managed that with Elemental evil (the bulk of the temple should have had like 8th+ lvl prereq) they will manage it this time too.
But seriously, a 3 frost giant encounter is deadly for 4 characters of less than 15th lvl according to the rules. Not true according to what I've seen in my table, but not far from the truth.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

While I'm excited to see 5E's take on Ravenloft (if that is actually what this turns out to be), I'm also apprehensive and somewhat disappointed. What references they've made to Ravenloft in the PHB, DMG, and MM so far have been fun, but have also shown a certain lack of comprehension of the setting. This isn't solely for Revenloft, either. I'm as much a fan of Eberron as I am Ravenloft and am forced to shake my head when they mention something about Eberron that is either incorrect or a clear change to something. Many, if not most, of those working on this adventure are likely a few steps removed from those who were influential in making Ravenloft what we love. I'm afraid that we'll get this adventure, which will be good... but won't feel like Ravenloft to us. We already know that the setting is remaining in the Shadowfell, thanks to the "Domains of Dread" section in the DMG. We know Talon isn't involved, nor is Mangrum. I don't know. I just feel like it's going to upset me more than anything.

But perhaps I'm being too cynical.
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

alhoon wrote:http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2014/12/dun ... dule-2018/

Nope, I was wrong.
Sorry guys. Next adventure will probably be... giants. And Shakespearean influenced.
I'm not sure how accurate this schedule is considering that it's over a year old, and I don't remember an Alice in Wonderland themed adventure set coming out at GenCon this year.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Knowing how D&D 5E has been going for the past year or so, chances are it might be something on the lines of "Barovia has been hiding somewhere in the Sword Coast all along."
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

hidajiremi wrote:
alhoon wrote:http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2014/12/dun ... dule-2018/

Nope, I was wrong.
I'm not sure how accurate this schedule is considering that it's over a year old, and I don't remember an Alice in Wonderland themed adventure set coming out at GenCon this year.

Just FYI, Perkins has been saying over and over that the Out of the Abyss was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

hidajiremi wrote: I'm not sure how accurate this schedule is considering that it's over a year old, and I don't remember an Alice in Wonderland themed adventure set coming out at GenCon this year.
Emmm... http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... oftheabyss
Quinntonia wrote: Just FYI, Perkins has been saying over and over that the Out of the Abyss was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.
Feels like it too... except that Alice is being chased by huge demons.
I mean, seriously, you have a LN orog geologist with 18 int that chats up with the PCs in random encounter. You can't go more Alice in Wonderland than that.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:
hidajiremi wrote: I'm not sure how accurate this schedule is considering that it's over a year old, and I don't remember an Alice in Wonderland themed adventure set coming out at GenCon this year.
Emmm... http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... oftheabyss
Quinntonia wrote: Just FYI, Perkins has been saying over and over that the Out of the Abyss was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.
Feels like it too... except that Alice is being chased by huge demons.
I mean, seriously, you have a LN orog geologist with 18 int that chats up with the PCs in random encounter. You can't go more Alice in Wonderland than that.
Unless you have a tea party. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

From their portraits, you can envision them with a monocle sipping tea.
My DMGuild work!
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

O_O
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Out of the Abyss is rather Alice in Wonderland as you're thrust into an alien world and spend so much of the adventure having small encounters with curious and odd characters and a pervasive feeling of madness.

The chance of a Ravenloft storyline is certainly not impossible, but people are likely reading too much into the comments. But it does fit. There are lots of other options; giants are another safe bet (although this was recently done at the end of 4th Edition already, so giants feel... done).
We've seen a lot of teasers that haven't seen print. Like mongrelmen or teasing the more alien creatures like the froghemoth. Which could be Barrier Peaks.