Ability Score Protection?

Discussing all roleplaying games
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ability Score Protection?

Post by Mortavius »

Has anyone out there found anything that protects against the ability draining powers of many undead creatures? My group encountered some angry Wraiths last session, and we couldn't find anything to protect against the Constitution drains. We found things to restore it, but nothing to prevent it. The Death Ward spell only protects against energy drain and negative levels.
Wiltrix
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Wiltrix »

Yeah, there was a similar problem that our gaming group had with a sixteen hit dice wraith; that is one nasty dungeon magazine adventure. I beleive that anything that gives you damage reduction, like the spell stone skin could protect the character from ability drain. If the opponent attacking the character does not penetrate the damage reduction then there would be no ability drain. This is similar to how a sneak attack has no effect if the initial damage does not penetrate the damage reduction.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

The only thing I could think of is that if you could somehow apply a Contingency spell to lesser restoration or the like to occur when you got hit by such a draining effect.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Soulfire Armor (p. 112 from Book of Exalted Deeds): wearer is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, and energy drain.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I'd say to simply make them temporary drains. The wraiths stays dangerous but not permanently crippling. Or simply give a save to the drain with a reasonable DC. That should do it.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!