Quick Survey for DMs (any edition)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Quick Survey for DMs (any edition)

Post by jimjams »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I think he's referring to the idea that the Castle Ravenloft in the demiplane is a copy of the one back in the Prime Material Plane (which we see still exists in Prime Material Barovia, in Roots of Evil).
Yes correct, sorry I should have been more clear. The Ravenloft Castle i'd stay well away from. But the Prime material Castle is totally usable.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

jimjams wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I think he's referring to the idea that the Castle Ravenloft in the demiplane is a copy of the one back in the Prime Material Plane (which we see still exists in Prime Material Barovia, in Roots of Evil).
Yes correct, sorry I should have been more clear. The Ravenloft Castle i'd stay well away from. But the Prime material Castle is totally usable.
You sure about that? Monsters aside, it has one of the less practical layouts for any residents that may be there (unless Strahd has done MAJOR reconstruction on it since 351 BC). My players tend to fall into the 'I see it, I want it' mentality without any concern with who or what lives inside. They did it in the Prime World campaigns, they do it in the Demiplane of Dread. But the Demiplane usually has a few tricks for unsuspecting players.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

Dark Angel wrote:You sure about that? Monsters aside, it has one of the less practical layouts for any residents that may be there (unless Strahd has done MAJOR reconstruction on it since 351 BC). My players tend to fall into the 'I see it, I want it' mentality without any concern with who or what lives inside. They did it in the Prime World campaigns, they do it in the Demiplane of Dread. But the Demiplane usually has a few tricks for unsuspecting players.
Yuuuuup. Where's the plumbing? Water is 1000 ft below or a few miles walking. It's doable, especially with divine magic, but Castle Ravenloft has always been a symbolic seat of power, not a trade center or even a defensive masterpiece (Although Strahd's army just repelled the PC's daytime assault with a local levy).
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

[/quote]You sure about that? Monsters aside, it has one of the less practical layouts for any residents that may be there (unless Strahd has done MAJOR reconstruction on it since 351 BC). My players tend to fall into the 'I see it, I want it' mentality without any concern with who or what lives inside. They did it in the Prime World campaigns, they do it in the Demiplane of Dread. But the Demiplane usually has a few tricks for unsuspecting players.[/quote]

It was either I6 or House of Strahd that I read a quote about the Castle being "Semi-Alive". I love the idea that Castle RAvenloft is Somewhat "sentient" as it makes it more than just a "Find the Vampire, Kill the Vampire" sort of adventure. Imagine how much fun you could have with your players if they learn before they even get to meet Strahd that the Castle is trying to kill them, or even just protect Strahd.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

jimjams wrote:It was either I6 or House of Strahd that I read a quote about the Castle being "Semi-Alive". I love the idea that Castle RAvenloft is Somewhat "sentient" as it makes it more than just a "Find the Vampire, Kill the Vampire" sort of adventure. Imagine how much fun you could have with your players if they learn before they even get to meet Strahd that the Castle is trying to kill them, or even just protect Strahd.
You are not wrong. In House of Strahd, there is a portion of the central stairwell that terminates at a physical heart that controls something (weapons I think) that have been assaulting the PCs their whole way up the tower stairs. The whole keep being alive? No. A part of it? Yes. Plenty of other things ready to kill, not including Strahd himself? Hell yeah. Could it be expanded in concept with other portions being more akin to parts of a body? Especially since HoS was so long ago, changes could be made for some other plan or purpose that the player's could be interrupting.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

In a dark Robin Hood-esque Falkovnian campaign my players did have a safe home base. They discovered a ruined castle, and due to misty hijinks relived the fall of the castle and fought alongside the defenders. When they returned to reality they found that they, and anyone under their protection, could stay in the ruins unmolested. Anyone else risked the wrath of the defenders ghosts.

It wasn't fool-proof, of course, anyone the group needed around but they had a lot of tension with often suffered "accidents" of varying lethality. Nor were the ghosts powerful enough to stop an entire force of Talons rolling through the holes in the outer walls and trying to slaughter everyone inside.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
SpringHeeledJack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by SpringHeeledJack »

I always use a base of some sort be it an inn, ruined tower or something they have bought. In my last campaign (Forgotten Realms) it was an old alchemy shop a player inherited.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Most the PC's roam from Inn to Inn a lot of the time in my campaigns, however my deepest in character game that is a 1 on 1 campaign has a 'home' which I'd consider his 'base'. He was given a horse ranch (no not on a hill) by a Mysterious Benefactor in Mordent that signs his letters with only a single letter. The Letter G. (I'm sure that's enough for most people to guess but my player has no clue who it is)

So I guess for me it depends on the campaign.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf