WotC release 5e Conversion guide for previous editions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

WotC release 5e Conversion guide for previous editions

Post by jimjams »

I just found this on my facebook feed take a look and see what you guys think. I'd be interested on how good this guide is.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature ... tober-2015
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: WotC release 5e Conversion guide for previous editions

Post by alhoon »

It's frankly... bad. The advice is solid since it focuses on what changed between X edition and D&D next. The numbers are ... out of place and the mechanics non-existent.
To convert a monster, you better do it yourself.
To convert a character, the advice is ... don't stick to the class but to the spirit of the character and use feats to round up the character.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

They made a similar document for 2e to 3e conversion. It had similar problems. The bottom line is that while the d&d systems look similar and use the same terms, they are too distinct from each other for a straightforward step by step conversion. But putting out something, even if inherently flawed will appeal to a certain segment of players, so they did their best attempt.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Actually, if they have refrained from putting wrong numbers there and just used the advice, it would work very well.
It mostly says "Monsters in AD&D dealt less damage and had less hp. So, increase damage and hp, check which abilities or characteristics made the monster special and recalculate XP according to the DMG or by comparison with existing monsters"

And then it starts giving rules that frankly don't mess well with D&D next's ruleset.

As in, proficiency levels are not calculated; it's considered 2 if you convert a brown dragon wyrm. Same with AC. Armor worn doesn't matter much in the creation.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
vachtor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by vachtor »

If you're looking for decent conversion guides, I've been following these that were posted on Reddit a while ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2 ... des_found/
Have fun,

V