What module would you run as a 15th+ level adventure in 5e

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

What module would you run as a 15th+ level adventure in 5e

Post by jimjams »

I have been thinking about running one of the Ravenloft adventures once my players finish the Grand Conjunction series of adventures. What are people's suggestion?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: What module would you run as a 15th+ level adventure in

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Hmm, that's kinda tough as Ravenloft skews towards low to mid level. If you're going with only Ravenloft stuff, your choices will be limited to Thoughts of Darkness and Die Vecna Die! Both of these will probably require some work as they are rough in many places.
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Hmm, that's kinda tough as Ravenloft skews towards low to mid level. If you're going with only Ravenloft stuff, your choices will be limited to Thoughts of Darkness and Die Vecna Die! Both of these will probably require some work as they are rough in many places.
Sorry, I should clarify. It can be any adventure from the Ravenloft world but you convert it into a 15+ level 5e adventure.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

You'd have to ramp up the CRs quite a bit, but I could see the Evil Eye working as a followup to the GC. (also, it's just a great adventure in general).

You could also try to run the Grim Harvest trilogy (It's not well loved as-is, but several people have taken the basic plot and souped it up.)

I generally pick my adventures for plot first, and then adjust the level as I see fit. (Since I'm usually using 2e adventures in PF, I have to convert anyway, so it's not hard to convert to a higher level)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

I would like to run the two Shadow rift adventures and have a VERY nasty surprise for the PC's. I also liked the look of the non ravenloft adventures series Eye of Pain.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, if it's a question of whether it could be converted to a high level (with a lot plot extension/editing and power ups to the villains), then the various Children of the Night books (as well as the Kargtane netbook Children of the Night: Demons netbook) might be good for source mining NPCs/scenarios/adventure seeds to expand upon or to weld into other adventures.

In Children of the Night: the Created

-there is on adventure that involves a sort of super beholder flesh golem.

-In another adventure, the coming of Azenwrath could herald an end of days scenario (but he would probably need a drastic increase in abilities and a few dead treant or other paper related companions to be a threat to 15th level characters.) In Gaz I, Azenwrath is listed as coming from Forlorn, so if you wanted to incorporate information from the Castles Forlorn boxed set into a sequel adventure, that might work.

Children of the Night: Ghosts

-has one adventure involving a mad mage's scheme to confront the Nightmare Court using dream energy stolen by a bastellus. This could easily be extended into a squadron of bastelli and lead into some of the stuff using the Nightmare Court from the Nightmare Lands boxed set.

-If you use Azenwrath as a lead in to Castles Forlorn, this book has an adventure involving a castle whose stones are literally haunted.

-Ezekiel Preston is a powerful and tenacious enough ghost that he could somewhat conceivably menace a 15th level party, but his origins are way too mundane given his power level. His adventure also assumes he possesses one of the characters' objects.

-Finally, there are one or two side-trek adventures that involve mostly investigation if you're party isn't too keen on solving everything through magic. In these adventures, it's not the ghosts or the villains that are the problem, it's just finding out what happened. Probably of little importance to such high level characters, but having a little bit of slice of life on what it means to be a big fish in a small pond might be a nice change of pace.

Children of the Night: Vampires
-has an adventure featuring Jander Sunstar taking on a lot of vampyres. Of course, you would need to give them character classes to challenge a 15th level party.

-one scenario where Strahd schemes against Lyssa for conspiring against him in Thoughts of Darkness.

Children of the Night: Demons netbook

-of the adventures here, the one involving Marasmos seems like the most epic and potentially demiplane-shattering one. If he succeeded in his plans, he could threaten all of mortal existence. Increase his power level and give him some minions with high character levels and you're probably good to go.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

jimjams wrote:I would like to run the two Shadow rift adventures and have a VERY nasty surprise for the PC's. I also liked the look of the non ravenloft adventures series Eye of Pain.
Shadow Rift could epic enough in scale to generally fit the tone. Servants of Darkness strikes me as starting out a little low-key for such high level characters, so you may want to include a little hint of what potential significance the adventure might have. (without giving away the plot, of course!)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Book of Crypts is one of the earliest ones, but it has several serviceable adventures. There are (as always) flaws.

The Dark Minstrel (3rd-6th level, Baron Evensong / Claveria - now Liffe): Could be ramped up easily as it is a 'puzzle' encounter and could have several hostile party guests of an appropriate level.

Corrupted Innocents (5th-7th level, Borca): I converted the 'main' villain into a hag prior to her 'conversion' (it fits better and it was before hags really took off in Ravenloft). I upgraded the treants too and tried to make it as evil foresty as possible.

The Rite of Terror (5th-8th level): Another mid level one that could be bumped up fairly easily with the end villain and his subordinates. The issue I had was a town of 10th level fighters with less personality than 0-level guards. Making it a bit more fleshed out and 'real' would greatly add to the adventure.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

That is, indeed, a challenge. You could run some adventures by increasing the numbers and CR of enemies, but it would turn them to ever-grinds. In practice a dozen CR 2 skeletons could replace 2 CR 1/4 skeletons etc. But... ever-grind. And it doesn't make much sense since such a force would be unstoppable.
Or...

you could make your own adventures. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
jimjams wrote:I would like to run the two Shadow rift adventures and have a VERY nasty surprise for the PC's. I also liked the look of the non ravenloft adventures series Eye of Pain.
Shadow Rift could epic enough in scale to generally fit the tone. Servants of Darkness strikes me as starting out a little low-key for such high level characters, so you may want to include a little hint of what potential significance the adventure might have. (without giving away the plot, of course!)
Cthulhu (CR 25+)
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

jimjams wrote: Cthulhu (CR 25+)
He's a pushover, "The Twilight" is CR 40
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Although it is set in the Forgotten Realms setting, there is a Dungeon magazine adventure Man Forever (issue 137) that is at level 15 (in 3.5). It involves everything that's awesome about Ravenloft (torch wielding mobs, misdirection and intrigue, horrid manipulation, investigation, a gothic back drop, etc.)

The basic precept is that
VIEW CONTENT:
in an effort to get its revenge upon a former adventurer turned baron, an evil cult led by a hag covey gaslight an entire community in order to break the will of their lord before ultimately killing him. There are a few (subtle) Batman references and some fantastic elements (dire werebat ettins) if that bothers you, but otherwise it would seem to work really well.
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

jamesfirecat wrote:
jimjams wrote: Cthulhu (CR 25+)
He's a pushover, "The Twilight" is CR 40
The CR's for some of the monsters in some of the Ravenloft modules defies belief. I want my PC's to get a taste of Cthulhu's power before facing off against him in the culmination of my Epic campaign where he'll be around CR 30 (5e)