3.5 Bard errata?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

3.5 Bard errata?

Post by Ender »

So I'm reading through the Bard and I got to the Weaknesses section, which reads as follows:
Weaknesses: A bard's cure spells (such as cure light wounds, cure moderate wounds, mass cure light wounds and so on.) have a chance of failure due to the whims of the Dark Powers. At 2nd level (when a bard becomes eligible for casting 1st level spells), the base chance of failure is 50%. This percentage drops by 5% every two levels thereafter, so that by the time a bard reaches 12th level, she can cast cure spells with no chance of failure.
That math... isn't right. I don't see anything about it listed in the errata compiled here, but if it's 5% every other level after 2nd level, it wouldn't be free until 22nd level, but if it's 5% every level, then they do become free at 12th level. I can't seem to find any mention of this discrepancy on the internet, so if I'm just horribly misreading something or missing something obvious, please let me know.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 3.5 Bard errata?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Congrats, it seems you're the first person to spot that issue. (Perhaps because you may be the first to use that rule. ;) )

IF you use the rule, I'd go with 5%/level to match up with the text about 12th level.

But I would just skip it...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Me too. The rules seems ... weird. Why would a bard that has so preciously few spells in his repertoire choose one of the two or three spells of that level he would ever have, to be one that has a chance of failure?

On what book is that rule?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

alhoon wrote:Me too. The rules seems ... weird. Why would a bard that has so preciously few spells in his repertoire choose one of the two or three spells of that level he would ever have, to be one that has a chance of failure?

On what book is that rule?
Exactly. Moreover, since the Bard has such a small reprtoire of spells, he can actually master all of them quicker than any other characters out there. Just skip that rule.
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:On what book is that rule?
I assume it's the RL Player's Handbook (3.5). One of the few additions made in there from the 3.0 RL Campaign Setting was the addition of optional weaknesses for all the classes. Like most of the other changes in that book, they weren't well thought out. I skimmed them once and never looked back.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."