A Ravenloft Podcast?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A Ravenloft Podcast?

Post by Zilfer »

Still would love to see this it is however whether people have time and will to put in the effort for it. I have recently started listening to more podcasts as of recently for me driving places. Since I like writing, I've been listening to a podcast called "writing excuses" Won't post link but you can google if interested. Reason I bring it up is they have small little topics that they talk about for 15 minutes (A small advertisement thrown in for a good book to read) and they keep it relatively short. So I think it could easily be done I just don't know if everyone has the time/effort to do it. xD Would love hearing from Gonzoron, and Joel since they have very long running campaigns and how they go about planning sessions, introducing character archs from players backgrounds, balance encounters for systems they aren't running/modules from old 2e. Even some of their flipping around of the plot ideas/modules to fit it to the story they want to tell.

Then you might be able to throw in little blurb sections, like Adventure hook of the week? Or Month or something like that like Zettajin's topic pumps out ideas. xD I'm not sure how much Ravenloft has for a following I know quiet a bit here on this site but i wonder how many more fans are NOT at this site?

(Just my 2 finger bones) :twisted:
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I would like to see - but I would not helm it - a casual gamer podcast, where long-time members of the scene are interviewed. Like, especially with the scarcity of official, and the general decline of D&D as a brand, what I am much more interested in listening to how people individually developed their gaming worlds - organically, through their own games, rather than by the kind of "controlled evolution" that company releases bring. :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Sorry to disappoint Zilfer, but I don't foresee myself having time to participate in a podcast anytime soon.

That's just me, though. If any of the other Umbra want to, that would be great, of if anyone else puts one together, I can find a way to host it on our site. But that's about all the involvement I can commit.

(I know I'm having a hard enough time scheduling the next session of my campaign, but even when I finally get everyone together, I can guarantee vachtor's idea of recording a session won't fly with group. They were wary enough the few times I recorded them to transcribe into my journal. It's a great idea for the right group, but that group is not mine.)

I'd love to listen to a Ravenloft podcast. (We've linked to some good ones in the past) It's just not the right time in my life for me to be involved in making one.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I've done some 'casting on the now defunct Power Source Podcast and I'm an occasional guest on the D&D Round Table (check it out BTW). So I'm not averse to talking Ravenloft and being recorded. But I'm certainly not host material, nor do I have the time to edit a lengthy podcast.
Le Noir Faineant

What about, say, trying a Google Hangout, or a regular chat meetup?

Like, I have paddded into podcasting as well, and with no-budget, small enterprises like our own, the most important thing is to really get along, and to work constructively. And you can't really tell that from written communication only, lamentably.

To be completely clear, I'd be willing to produce such a podcast, and take care everything that would be needed to do - BUT it would have to make sense: Meaning, "let's do a podcast!" is the internet equivalent of two guys sitting at the counter and deciding: "Let's open a bar!"

Everybody thinks he can do it, and only seldomly do people realize that there is actual work involved. Now, I am not saying that to come over as confrontational, but maybe we would be more successful on the long run, if we started smaller.

Like, what about doing a Google Hangout, or a chat event around Easter? That would at least give an impression how many really have the time to interact in real-time. This is no small thing to consider, for starters, because our community is scattered all around the globe. :)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Oh boy that's true! ^ I'm at the end of the time spectrum. Not the very end mind you but the closest I can get while still in America(US). xD No small feat at all.

Gynsburghe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gynsburghe »

I've been getting more and more into podcasts over the last year, I'd love to hear folks who are knowledgeable about Ravenloft banter on. I do listen to a few RPG related ones. Makes great listening at work as I mindlessly chop things :)

Gynsburghe
Le Noir Faineant

So, who would be up for a Google Hangout, for starters?

On Easter Weekend, maybe?
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

I would love to try and be a part of anything like this, assuming it fits in the wife's schedule for that weekend.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Might want to pick a topic to address so it's not just all over the place.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:Might want to pick a topic to address so it's not just all over the place.
While I might not be able to participate, I can think of tons of topics. Keeping in mind that podcasts really seem to shine when you can tell stories...

1. What first drew you to Ravenloft?
2. What was your most Ravenloft-ish moment in a game?
3. What was the least Ravenloft-ish thing you successfully used in Ravenloft?
4. What's an inspiration you took from an unlikely source?
5. How did your first adventure in Ravenloft go?
6. What would you do if you were put in charge of restarting the line?
7. What's a Ravenloft moment that worked great straight from the books?
8. What's a Ravenloft moment where you heavily modified what was in the books and it worked out well?
9. What's a time that things didn't work out so well (for the game, not for the PCs) in Ravenloft?
10. You've got 4 hours on Halloween with complete Ravenloft noobs. What do you run?

I started listing several of the form: "Favorite ___ and why?" Figured they should be their own section. If you do a series of podcasts, maybe this could be a regular feature. Pick one and do a sort-of quickfire around the table Q&A to open or close out each podcast
1. darklord
2. domain
3. non-darklord NPC
4. Ravenloft Product
5. non-Ravenloft RPG Product
6. Ravenloft novel
7. Ravenloft module
8. small detail from a Ravenloft product
9. PC
10. magic item/artifact
11. society
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^Not a bad start to questions though I will admit I don't have answers so some of those questions... xD

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:^Not a bad start to questions though I will admit I don't have answers so some of those questions... xD
With enough people participating, not everyone needs to jump in on every question.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Zilfer wrote:^Not a bad start to questions though I will admit I don't have answers so some of those questions... xD
With enough people participating, not everyone needs to jump in on every question.
Exactly what I was thinking. (Also differing opinions are good)

Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

I love this idea, please post up deets.

Also, my buddy and I in RL are putting together some resources to start a podcast as well focused on RPGs, and starting with our Ravenloft experiences.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.