campaign help

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

campaign help

Post by Nukdai »

So I'm starting a Pathfinder rules campaign that is pretty much Ravenloft history 101 that covers Domain lore for each Realm. Was thinking of having the party working for the Weathermay-Foxglove twins or maybe another NPC contact. Any suggestions there would be great. Was also thinking of brining in some other world classes in corresponding Domains such as Kirath in Sithicus. Or other campaign classes or races in "linked" areas. Any suggestions?
Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms
And the moon is full and bright
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: campaign help

Post by Skyrock »

If you go for a guided world tour, the twins may be as good quest-givers as they can get if you don't want to homebrew your own.

If your PF game cares about Challenge Ratings and somesuch, best keep them first around the "easy" western domains like Mordent, Dementlieu or Richemulot and save the heavy-hitting stuff for later.

Do you plan for some overarching campaign, or will it essentially be Weathermay mission of the week?
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

Kinda adventure of the week. My wife fell in love with the Ravenloft setting and wants to expand her knowledge of it through actual playing and not just reading. Most of the sessions will be her character and maybe a helpful NPC every now and then. We also are in a weekly game I'm DMing set in the Realms that has an actual campaign set up, her character is a native scholar who has a fair bit of in game knowledge of Ravenloft and it's basic workings.
Vorcoth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorcoth »

You could be a little more insidious and have their "benefactor" be S from the gazeteers, or even a member of the Kargat, instead of the twins.

Would be a fun twist at some point to reveal that the benefactor was just using the players for some nefarious purpose.
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

Muhaha!!!! I love it. Think I'm definitely going to allow world specific classes such as Krynn's kirith in Sithicus. Just don't know what else might fit
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

One of my favorite "world tour" style NPCs you could use would be Professor Arcanus. Wandering the Core, being a big ole were-gorilla, it'll be fun. I've always wanted to change up the Chilling Tales adventures and use Professor Arcanus instead of Van Richten as the helpful NPC in them all.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

When you say "history," do you mean the darklord's backgrounds? or the major events of the setting (Grand Conjunction, Requiem, Mallocchio, etc.)? Most of the major events happened in published adventures, so you can just run those...

What sort of character does she want to play? The PC's backgrounds always make for the best hooks...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:When you say "history," do you mean the darklord's backgrounds? or the major events of the setting (Grand Conjunction, Requiem, Mallocchio, etc.)? Most of the major events happened in published adventures, so you can just run those...

What sort of character does she want to play? The PC's backgrounds always make for the best hooks...

I had the same sort of question.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

She's a cleric from Sri Rajah. History lesson is on individual domains only not on the Darklords themselves
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

Main part of campaign is kind of a cultural lesson of each domain.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hmm... I'm not an expert in Sri Raji, or Indian culture. Do their priests have heirarchies? Is she on a mission given to her by the temple elders, perhaps? to find certain info about the foreign lands and report back?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

I think she picked it to challenge me! I know a little bit about Indian culture. The whole society is caste based with priests at the top. Churches are also hierarchy based. Main issue is how and why to travel
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Maybe she's on a mission, to recover a relic stolen from her temple? The first clues lead to the Core, and she can chase the thief wherever the trail leads, learning about local history on the way. Or maybe it's a revenge quest. Instead of a thief, a murderer who assassinated the high priest. finding out whodunit and why could be the mission.

Either way, having a personal BBEG to chase can be a great hook to bring her wherever you'd like to go next.

(ooh! maybe he's stealing important relics/artifacts from each domain for some nefarious reason. Learning about those relics would naturally include learning about the local history.)
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

Absolute genius! A plan is forming!