Preparing to run Ravenloft 5e D&D for October

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ocule
Conspirator
Conspirator

Preparing to run Ravenloft 5e D&D for October

Post by Ocule »

So I decided im going to do a short campaign in october in the dread domains so was looking for some advice. My group are ravenloft virgins so i am looking for a good introduction to the setting and im leaning to either i6 Castle Ravenloft for Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. The latter would probably last me the whole month and i saw the 5th edition conversion definitely might be using that. Is i6 better or is it popular more out of nostalgia than actual gameplay. I am thinking if i run with expedition to tone down the frequency of magic items to accommodate 5th, most of the monsters will probably be out in the monster manual.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Preparing to run Ravenloft 5e D&D for October

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

My advice is to run a campaign away from the stereotypes.

Run "Web of Illusion," so your players can get away from the initial idea that Ravenloft=Strahd.
Ocule
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ocule »

Really? Even for people who have never played in ravenloft?
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

I started my Ravenloft campaign maaaaaany years ago with a very nice and Ravenlofty adventure named "Last Dance", not sure where it can be retrieved from nowadays...
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Last Dance is only available in Dungeon Magazine # 64. It was once released free online, I believe, at the Kargatane, but no longer.

Expedition and I6 are both pretty much the same adventure, but Expedition fleshes it out into a mini-campaign. As an intro to Ravenloft, I would go with something short and sweet. I6 if you're set on Strahd, but Night of the Walking Dead or The Created, or something from one of the Children of the Night Anthologies would be my choice.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Actually, I think night of the walking dead is the best intro to Ravenloft.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:Actually, I think night of the walking dead is the best intro to Ravenloft.
I agree; it is easier for lower level players to get an idea of the setting (and learn not to screw around with forces beyond their understanding) and I agree with Dion where Strahd (and even Barovia) do not have to be front and center for every new player. I know its like running around Gotham City as a group of criminals, but Batman doesn't have to take care of every single baddie in the city. Maybe moving them into Mordent afterwards for some ghostly investigations would set a better trend than heading into the dark pits of Castle Ravenloft? Meet up with some lovely ladies (the twins of course) and that can begin a mission that will eventually bring them to Barovia with sufficiently earned levels to make them really appreciate the struggles and atmosphere they have been putting up with the whole time.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

My group of Ravenloft virgins had a quick, initial jaunt into a small realm that was a Ravenloft version of a land from their homeworld, and then quickly needed up in Lamordia, where I put them through "Wrath of Adam." They recently wrapped that one up - which was great, by the way- and now I am about to run them through "Night of the Walking Dead."

I very much don't want the new players to think like I did for years, that Ravenloft was only defined by Strahd and Barovia. I missed out on playing in a rich and varied world for years.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

How did the 5e rules worked with Ravenloft? Did you use any of Jester's suggestions?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Quinntonia wrote:My group of Ravenloft virgins had a quick, initial jaunt into a small realm that was a Ravenloft version of a land from their homeworld, and then quickly needed up in Lamordia, where I put them through "Wrath of Adam." They recently wrapped that one up - which was great, by the way- and now I am about to run them through "Night of the Walking Dead."

I very much don't want the new players to think like I did for years, that Ravenloft was only defined by Strahd and Barovia. I missed out on playing in a rich and varied world for years.
Another nice introduction adventure is the Created, but if you already did Adam's Wrath that may not be a good choice. I know my players got annoyed when their personal physicality was a thing they had to worry about maintaining. It's location does have a nice charm that fits with Lamordia even if it is a Gothic Italian setting. I enjoy the fact that it can take a higher level party and neutralize that advantage, forcing them to use their wits and surroundings to survive.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Ocule
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ocule »

Thanks for the suggestions, i was considering a lower level game thinking that putting stradh front and center also means a higher level game. I dont want them to feel super badass especially since tier 1 is the best time to scare the pants off of them. I am reading Jesters 5e guide WIP right now i have a few ideas myself. I was considering limiting the number of allowed magic users in the party, because most parties right now seem to be crammed full of full casters and hybrids.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:Actually, I think night of the walking dead is the best intro to Ravenloft.
I'd second this. It's low level and features some classic tropes in a non-standard yet familair land.

But I'm also fond of running Castle Ravenloft one-shots.
Ocule
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ocule »

My only concern with the created is that it puts them into puppet bodies not letting them play the characters they created. And castle ravenloft for a one shot looks like it needs to be pretty high level stradh is like cr 17 in 5th edition. Night of the living dead looked dark and gritty letting them suffer low level ravenloft
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Ocule wrote:My only concern with the created is that it puts them into puppet bodies not letting them play the characters they created. And castle ravenloft for a one shot looks like it needs to be pretty high level stradh is like cr 17 in 5th edition. Night of the living dead looked dark and gritty letting them suffer low level ravenloft

Another good low level adventure might be Neither Man Nor Beast, as it has chances for lots of interesting role playing situations and is designed for low level characters who are just getting into Ravenloft...
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ocule wrote:My only concern with the created is that it puts them into puppet bodies not letting them play the characters they created. And castle ravenloft for a one shot looks like it needs to be pretty high level stradh is like cr 17 in 5th edition. Night of the living dead looked dark and gritty letting them suffer low level ravenloft

We could make a lower level Strahd. Also, IIRC the vampire caster (Strahd) is CR 15.
If you want to make him lower-CR, you could change the dreadful and overpowered vampire-charm to "save after the end of each turn" with a DC of 14 so that you HAVE a chance to pass it if you're not a cleric, scale down vampire regeneration to 10 instead of 20 and he's already CR 12-13 or something.
My DMGuild work!