Any MLP:FiM fans here?

Books, movies, television and everything else
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Any MLP:FiM fans here?

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Title says it all. It's an internet phenomenon--anyone here caught the bug?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Any MLP:FiM fans here?

Post by jamesfirecat »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:Title says it all. It's an internet phenomenon--anyone here caught the bug?

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

yes and no. My kids watch it avidly. They've seen every episode multiple times, which means I've watched most of them via osmosis (I can't be in the same room as a television and not absorb what's on, no matter what else I might be doing. It's my darklord curse.) As kids' shows go, it's pretty good. Well made. Definitely above par, and I'm happy with them watching it. But I don't get the Brony thing, or the huge internet following at all. I couldn't see myself choosing to watch it on my own. (No offense meant to those who do.) But I can definitely hold my own in a discussion of the show, or a pony-naming contest.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:yes and no. My kids watch it avidly. They've seen every episode multiple times, which means I've watched most of them via osmosis (I can't be in the same room as a television and not absorb what's on, no matter what else I might be doing. It's my darklord curse.) As kids' shows go, it's pretty good. Well made. Definitely above par, and I'm happy with them watching it. But I don't get the Brony thing, or the huge internet following at all. I couldn't see myself choosing to watch it on my own. (No offense meant to those who do.) But I can definitely hold my own in a discussion of the show, or a pony-naming contest.
Much of the appeal of the show /the culture that has sprung up from it in my eyes (I speak as a member of said brony community) lays in the gap between how good the show should be if you describe only its component details (magical brightly colored horses learn lessons about friendship) and how good it actually is (strong characters, good animation, songs that range from decent to freaking amazing ("Winter Wrap, Winter Wrap up!" "Art of the Dress" "You've got an Opportunity in this very community!" "Babs Seed, Babs Seed, what we gonna do..." and lately "We're Apples to the Core" every so often an amazing guest actors (Weird Al, and John De Lancie basically playing the fantasy equivalent of Q) a writing staff that is willing to roll with the crazy stuff its fandom cares to embrace ("I'd like to be a tree....." one season later cut to Fluttershy disguising herself as a tree) in short, why do I like this show, for the same reasons I tend to like any show, it's good.

Also it becomes vastly more amusing if you're a Warhammer 40K fan as you can then cast everything that goes on in the show in terms of that genre and it gulf between the nature of the two universes become down right gut bustingly hilarious.

(And then Goddess Empress Celestia told Twilight Sparkle that she was one of the two missing Primarchs, and that's why Twilight grew wings)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'm in the same boat as Gonzoron. My son enjoys the show (as dies my wife) so I've seen most episodes.
It's not bad. Simple but cute with a wry sense of humour. For a cartoon designed to sell toys it's quite enjoyable. Honest.

Hasbro has a couple shows like that. Rescue Bots is also enjoyable.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I should note that back in the day (sigh, I'm so old) my wife and I were big fans of the Powerpuff Girls, and since MLP comes from the same lineage (MLP's creator is married to PPG's creator, and she worked on PPG as well, not to mention that both shows feature the voicework of the amazing Tara Strong.), I do appreciate it on that front. There are times (like that big battle against the changelings at the royal wedding) where I smile and think, "wow, that's so PPG."
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."