Previously-downloadable GC adventures from Wizards?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Previously-downloadable GC adventures from Wizards?

Post by HuManBing »

Many years ago, Wizards hosted the Grand Conjunction adventures on their website for free download. I downloaded them once and then more or less forgot about them because I have all the print versions in my library anyway.

Now, I have an e-reader and I like the idea of reading the old adventures on commutes.

I went back to the Wizards site. Sadly, many years (and multiple editions) later, those adventures are nowhere to be found on their site.

I've been poking around my computer's darkest corners (usually under directories named "2004 hard drive crash recovery" and other memorials) and I stumbled across a directory that has what appears to be "From the Shadows". It has all the artwork scanned, and the main text of the adventure is in an HTML file and also in a single .txt file as well.

Nearby is a directory with similar stuff for "Roots of Evil".

My question is: does anybody still have these downloaded files on their hard drives, and can they confirm that these are the formats used in the downloads?

My e-reader probably won't read HTML or .txt (or it would be very boring if it did). I'm wondering if PDF is a viable way to go in order to bring my favorite adventures along with me.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Previously-downloadable GC adventures from Wizards?

Post by Catman Jim »

I found a copy of the DND Download page on the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100620045 ... /downloads

The format for both Zipped files is as you have described.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Previously-downloadable GC adventures from Wizards?

Post by HuManBing »

Okay, then that must have been it. Non delineated text, and print-unfriendly rtf were probably what we had to work with in the days before pdf. In the days of Web 1.0...

I may get around to converting them to pdf at some point.