All good things... now with PICTURES!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

All good things... now with PICTURES!

Post by Jimsolo »

Sadly, after over fifty games, it appears my long-running campaign is coming to an end. I'm losing a player, and have little prospect of attracting a new one (no one I've spoken to is willing to jump into the deep end of a game that's been going so long).

Fortunately, my player is willing to let me run one last adventure.

Also fortunately, I've been planning for this for a while. The teenage daughter of the party leader has been corresponding with Strahd for some time. (Why? You ask. Godefroy is trying to get rid of the girl--he has, through his own letters, convinced Strahd that the girl is the newest reincarnation of Tatyana. The girl is an adopted Falkovnian orphan and the PC's heir apparent. Since the PC was revealed to be a Mournesworth, and thus a possible continuation of the noble rule in Mordent, Godefroy needs to have the girl removed.) She does not believe that Strahd is a vampire. She is instead infatuated with the illusion of the baroque noble that Strahd has presented and Godefroy has helped perpetuate.

A group of Barovian soldiers were sent by Strahd as a repayment for a good turn the party did him some time ago. (The wizard of the party at the time had a powerful magic item sent to the Darklord.) Thus far, they have proven themselves to be rather innocuous and done nothing to arouse the party's suspicions.

HERE'S THE PLAN:
When the PCs arrive home from their latest adventure, wounded and low on resources, the Barovian soldiers spring into action, kidnapping Tasha. They return to Barovia by unknown means. Fortunately, their old friends in the Carnivale come through to help them. After a brief trip with the kindly carnies (giving just enough time to have each PC suffer the Twisting) they will arrive at Castle Ravenloft in time to take their shot at the best bad guy of them all.

I want to throw the transport via Carnival in there because the Twisting provides a way to reveal a little of the backstory to each of the PCs, or to kind of hold up a mirror and show them exactly the kind of person their character really is at the end of the game.

What do you guys think? Good way to end things? I like the idea because I don't have to pull any punches--if they can't overcome Strahd, I'm not going to feel guilty about killing them all. Any advice on running Castle Ravenloft itself? The Twisting? Ending a game?
Last edited by Jimsolo on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: All good things...

Post by Zilfer »

Alright so not to discourage you I figured i'd throw up a post, I'm sure more people have read this and just haven't had the time to write a decent post.

First off, great job on 50 sessions!!!!! OMG! Wish I could play or was in it. :P

Second off, your the best judge for your group but make sure they are OK with a tragic ending, or a mostly everyone dies ending. I just finished a pathfinder campaign recently and I did like a prologue of what happened, you might think about doing that because sometimes you can do more with writing than you can with story telling. (depends on the person I think xD)

The player's character that is 'kidnapped' are they going to have a chance to resist? Further.... what are they going to be doing in the meantime while they need to be 'rescued'. Would hate to have a player just wait around the table, maybe an NPC?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote:The player's character that is 'kidnapped' are they going to have a chance to resist? Further.... what are they going to be doing in the meantime while they need to be 'rescued'. Would hate to have a player just wait around the table, maybe an NPC?
Her PC parent is the Mournesworth, but the kid is an NPC already and a potential threat to Godefroy (that's how I read it at least). It sucks to stop a game with such a long run, but it is nice to get some finality to it. It is like a great tv show. Everyone is either really happy, unhappy, or on the fence. The best thing is to make them feel like something they did mattered or their sacrifice may not feel worth it. Saving the kid (as she is not likely Tatyana's incarnation), having one PC slip away to tell the tale and retire (maybe make an appearance in a future campaign in person or by legend), or have them retired to the Carnival and have the full Twisting take them in.

As far as the Twisting goes, don't make it seem like a curse or that Isolde is anything other than a benefactor. I ran my group through a few of those adventures and they were threatened by the way she dealt with 'trouble makers', but actually felt safer with her otherwise (one PC in particular was heavily pushing for her positive actions). I think it is great to showcase the oddities of a player in the Twisting; it may reveal something even the player may not have noticed ("What do you mean my skin is becoming more bark-like and my hair is turning green? What does that have to with me never entering cities?").

Regardless, Kudos to you for keeping the game that was originally known as the "Weekend in Hell" going for so long! I am sure there will be ups and downs, but the group should appreciate the finality and the fact that it didn't just 'end' without any concluding events.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Dark Angel wrote:
Zilfer wrote:The player's character that is 'kidnapped' are they going to have a chance to resist? Further.... what are they going to be doing in the meantime while they need to be 'rescued'. Would hate to have a player just wait around the table, maybe an NPC?
Her PC parent is the Mournesworth, but the kid is an NPC already and a potential threat to Godefroy (that's how I read it at least). It sucks to stop a game with such a long run, but it is nice to get some finality to it. It is like a great tv show. Everyone is either really happy, unhappy, or on the fence. The best thing is to make them feel like something they did mattered or their sacrifice may not feel worth it. Saving the kid (as she is not likely Tatyana's incarnation), having one PC slip away to tell the tale and retire (maybe make an appearance in a future campaign in person or by legend), or have them retired to the Carnival and have the full Twisting take them in.

As far as the Twisting goes, don't make it seem like a curse or that Isolde is anything other than a benefactor. I ran my group through a few of those adventures and they were threatened by the way she dealt with 'trouble makers', but actually felt safer with her otherwise (one PC in particular was heavily pushing for her positive actions). I think it is great to showcase the oddities of a player in the Twisting; it may reveal something even the player may not have noticed ("What do you mean my skin is becoming more bark-like and my hair is turning green? What does that have to with me never entering cities?").

Regardless, Kudos to you for keeping the game that was originally known as the "Weekend in Hell" going for so long! I am sure there will be ups and downs, but the group should appreciate the finality and the fact that it didn't just 'end' without any concluding events.

Ah I didn't catch that I thought the Daughter was a PC my bad!

Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Don't feel bad, your comment made me doubt how I read it (and still could be wrong). I have had players be related in my game before.

DM (me): What is your player's name?
Player 1: Zigmund
DM: How about you?
Player 2: Call me... Ishmael...
DM: What is your last name? [Directed to the father (player 1) and son (player 2)]
Player 2: Well...? [to player 1]
Player 1: Heh... heh...heh... Butternut!
Player 2 hangs his head instantly regretting his decision.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Definitely sounds like a cool finale. I couldn't quite understand: is this a solo campaign? Can you not continue with the other players and write this one out after his finale?

I'm not sure about the Twisting here... seems like it might become a distraction, but you know your players best. I would be careful to present it in a way that doesn't spur them on a futile side-quest for a cure.

Another loose end you might want to tie up is Godefroy's follow-up, assuming the heroes prevail over Strahd. this doesn't eliminate Godefroy's interest in disposing of Tasha. Not sure how to do that without a followup adventure, though. Not much you can do about it from Barovia (unless she just settles there, out of his direct reach.)

As for how to handle attacking Castle Ravenloft... you do know there's an adventure that walks you through that one, right? In 3 different editions, no less. ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

In regards to Tasha--she's my DM PC. (I found a loooong time ago that the benefits far outweight the disadvantages. And this group argued so frequently that I needed a voice in-game to move things along when arguments started bogging the evening down.) The group has enough followers that they should be fine without her for the last adventure. They will be able to recover her within Castle Ravenloft (where Strahd is holding her prisoner, having realized the truth).

Three of the party's former enemies have conspired to alert Strahd to the truth, which is that the female PC is Tatyana's ACTUAL current reincarnation. ((More on this later.)

If Tasha survives (and her adopted father survive), she will publicly abdicate any claim to Joram's titles. Joram's wife is currently with child, which will leave Godefroy satisfied that he has a backup plan should anything happen to the twins.

As far as the Twisting goes, three of the PCs were rescued from an insane asylum where the doctor was rewriting peoples' memories, and have always questioned their own pasts. The Twisting effects for them are going to reflect either their embrace or rejection of the identities the doctor gave them. I predict one PC, who does not know he used to be a mass murderer, possibly protesting the 'unfairness' of the Twisting. If he does, Isolde will tell him that he indeed has been dealt with unfairly, but offer to give him 'what he truly deserves.' If he doesn't take the threat for what it is, she will alter his Twisting to reflect his former identity. (And restore his--mercifully obliterated--memories.) They are only travelling with the carnival for a very short time, and a former PC is with them now, so the retired PC will tell anyone who is too distraught that the Twisting will fade in a month or so.

When it comes to Ravenloft (the castle) I'm using my own version (basically I6 with the stats upgraded to 3rd ed, and using the Dragon Magazine stats for Strahd). I just figured people here had probably run the module (probably lots of users here, and lots of times!) and I was just looking to see if anyone had any tips or tricks to keep in mind. The coven of witches is going to be replaced with the trio of former party enemies I mentioned above.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Jimsolo wrote:In regards to Tasha--she's my DM PC. (I found a loooong time ago that the benefits far outweight the disadvantages. And this group argued so frequently that I needed a voice in-game to move things along when arguments started bogging the evening down.) The group has enough followers that they should be fine without her for the last adventure. They will be able to recover her within Castle Ravenloft (where Strahd is holding her prisoner, having realized the truth).
I do the same thing! I get a bit sick and tired of watching them flounder and they tend to be a bit under powered so I give them someone to put among their ranks who they don't ever fully trust (some players more than others). In fact my current PC/NPC is named Ian Donnel McElroy from Tempest (I DM, how much clearer can it be?) who takes tracking, survival, and Tempestani supernatural knowledge to help the group big time.
Jimsolo wrote:When it comes to Ravenloft (the castle) I'm using my own version (basically I6 with the stats upgraded to 3rd ed, and using the Dragon Magazine stats for Strahd). I just figured people here had probably run the module (probably lots of users here, and lots of times!) and I was just looking to see if anyone had any tips or tricks to keep in mind. The coven of witches is going to be replaced with the trio of former party enemies I mentioned above.
I know this has been suggested in other threads, but don't underestimate the I, Strahd background. The ghost of Alec Gywilum (sp?), Sergei, and the fact that Strahd has the most interesting house guests (past ones being a red dragon, Jander, Azalin, Soth, etc.). Put in an agent or prospective darklord/DL minion for variety, especially if they kill/destroy/rescue said person/thing (a further feather in their 'well we did something good in the end' cap).
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah I tend to not be afraid of using a DM PC either, however they don't always stay with the group but I've seen some mighty aversion to anything closely resembling a DM PC in games. I think it's a warning for new DM's that might not be able to separate themselves from how the PC would act or give said PC awesome items or awesome scenes that undermine the current PC's.

Anyways I wouldn't want to run into strahd's castle with both him and azalin in it! YIKES!

Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I ran the first part of Castle Ravenloft last friday. (As a side note, two of the PCs have decided that they would like to go back to the Carnival and 'deal with' Isolde for their Twistings, while a the other two have accepted their fates a little more sanguinely.) Much earlier in the campaign, a party member sold a Mirror of Opposition to Strahd, through an intermediary. I included it in the dining room area, to great effect.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Jimsolo wrote:I ran the first part of Castle Ravenloft last friday. (As a side note, two of the PCs have decided that they would like to go back to the Carnival and 'deal with' Isolde for their Twistings, while a the other two have accepted their fates a little more sanguinely.) Much earlier in the campaign, a party member sold a Mirror of Opposition to Strahd, through an intermediary. I included it in the dining room area, to great effect.
That sounds interesting on their surprise i'm sure. They meet strahd and survive the encounter? XD

vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

Will you continue with a new game after this or are you going to wait a bit? If continuing will all of the events from this previous game have weight in the new one?

Also bravo! 50 sessions is awesome. I feel as though you must have unlocked a trophy for that!
my bones among the rocks and roots
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

vipera aspis wrote:Will you continue with a new game after this or are you going to wait a bit? If continuing will all of the events from this previous game have weight in the new one?

Also bravo! 50 sessions is awesome. I feel as though you must have unlocked a trophy for that!
I'm not going to run for a bit. I'm trying to talk a friend into running a game. (Any friend...I haven't played in a campaign in close to six years!)

I'll run Ravenloft again eventually, but I have more respect for this setting than any other, so I'm not going to come back to it until I'm sure I have the time, energy, and focus to do a Ravenloft game justice. The next game I run will probably be Werewolf: the Apocalypse (I have a campaign I've been trying to run for the better part of a decade) but Ravenloft will come up again.

Whenever it does however, it will absolutely continue chronologically from this game. My absolute favorite part of tabletop RPGs is being able to interact with the game world, even changing things from established canon. A friend of mine periodically runs Marvel games, (and has for almost twenty years) and the minor changes from Marvel canon caused by the actions of the PCs are what make his campaign so fantastic. (One guy bought a few US senators over a decade ago and got them to PASS the Mutant Registration Act rather than voting it down, one of my old characters is a member of the Warriors Three/Four, and other such tidbits.)

I do have an ongoing plot that has run through all of my D&D games, involving the mysteries of a long-dead plane spanning civilization of magic users (the lost civilization of Chenestes). I even managed to work it in to Ravenloft. (Which was difficult, since the Demiplane of Dread almost certainly didn't exist when the Chenestine culture fell apart.)

But for now, I'm just enjoying the peace and quiet that comes from watching some old Voyager episodes on Netflix and NOT having a pile of game notes needing to be written nagging on the back of my mind. :D
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

During my long-running campaign, one of my players asked if there was a way to earn xp. I always encourage my players to do things above and beyond for the game, so he offered to paint minis for the whole group, since he does so professionally. In any event, I thought I'd post them up here, along with a brief synopsis of how everything ended up going down.

All of my figs posing on our lovely Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles-
So, side note: if you invested in the Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles Kickstarter, then you'll be happy to know that two full sets will enable you to make any room in Castle Ravenloft. (They never wound up in a room we couldn't make, at any rate.)

The Group--Formed in 761, the initial group (referred to in my notes as the Wayward Sons, a name several NPCs called them behind their backs) was formed by a group of Outlanders who arrived together. Banding together for mutual protection, they attempted to settle down in Lamordia, only to find themselves unearthing dark conspiracies at every turn. Eventually one such plot would follow them back to their home town, turning the townsfolk against them, their most beloved friend Gretchen into an undead bent on their destruction, and forcing them to flee to Dementlieu.

There, they uncovered a foul murder plot. When traced back to its source, they were forced to kill the adopted son of Armand Pineau (now the Bastion of the faith) and once again flee.

The party thought that in the town of Carinford-Halldon they would find peace, two of them even accepting governing positions. Alas, it was at this point that internal differences would drive the party apart, sending two of their number away lest the internal rift come to unavoidable violence.

The two departing party members were picked up by Dr. Franz Grossman, an alienist who believed that all Outlanders were merely poor deluded souls who had been lost within the Mists for so long that their sanity had warped. (A condition he called 'delusions of origin.') Forming an alliance with several of their fellow inmates, the Wayward Sons emerged from the asylum stronger and more unified, and with the friendship of Laurie Weathermay-Foxgrove to boot!

Returning to Mordentshire, the group began a quest to establish permanent roots. The leader of the group finally learned the truth about his birthright, and accepted governance of Weathertan, the former home of the Holsworth family. Each of the Wayward Sons found a place within Weathertan to call their own. One final threat would arise, however, that would threaten this little family, an alliance of the loose ends left in the party's wake, brought together by the manipulative hand of an insidious specter.

Coming together in camaraderie, the Wayward Sons ventured at last into Castle Ravenloft to retrieve their kidnapped daughter, and although she was rescued and the plot against them at last uncovered, half of their number would never leave the castle alive.

The Heroes
Alastor Pruitt - The paladin of Lathander joined the party during the escape from Dr. Grossman's asylum. He wound up marrying his fellow escaped inmate, a Sunite Holy Liberator. To his own horror, Alastor eventually discovered the hideous truth: he had never been an Outlander at all; Dr. Grossman had been correct in his diagnosis. In Castle Ravenloft, Alastor and his wife reforged the Sunsword, defeated the devil Strahd in open combat, and gave their lives to hold off the assault of the undead Gretchen so that the rest of the group could escape. At the last, Alastor was pulled away by the deceased paladin Mirror, rescued in death from the Demiplane of Dread by the power of his unwavering faith.

Barlo - A one legged sailor from Mordent, he was the head lieutenant in Tasha's thieves guild. An unrepentant alcoholic, he had no desire but to sit behind a bar, trading interesting stories for booze and slowly drinking himself to death. When the Sons mustered to rescue the kidnapped Tasha, Barlo could do no less for the girl who had given him a second chance. He perished beneath the fangs of Gretchen. The group had no time to recover his body, so it is almost certain he has risen again, a footsoldier for Gretchen, if not for Strahd himself!

Frankie Drakeson - Part of the original group, Frankie's career was marred by sadness. He lost his sister, a pure and fragile soul, only to have her brought back again by Dr. Mordenheim's corrupt science, forever traumatized by her ordeal. Later, however, Frankie would find a loving wife and family. Eventually he became mayor of Carinford-Halldon. Although Joram and the group tolerated Frankie's lycanthropy, his marriage to Nathan Timothy's granddaughter would bring an unhealthy level of corruption to the town, eventually causing the split within the group. Nevertheless, Frankie would never forget his friends, later mounting a rescue on the asylum.

Joram Mournesworth - A Templar of Al-Akbar as well as a Weapon Master of the falchion, Joram enjoyed a long and checkered career. Drawn in by the Mists with the original group, he would come to take charge of the at times chaotic party. After liberating the opium-slave Tasha, he adopted the young girl, attempting to prevent her from becoming the sociopath he could see developing.

Although he was often discouraged with his failures, such as the loss of Gretchen or his inability to prevent the Timothy family from corrupting Frankie, Joram's successes were far more spectacular. He selflessly shared his soul with the mermaid Kiyoko, saving her life. He eventually accepted the truth: that he was in fact a scion of the Mournesworth family. In the absence of concrete knowledge of where the ancestral Mournesworth manor lay, Laurie Weathermay-Foxgrove, having inherited her father's title, charged Joram with taking governance of Weathertan, the former home of the Holsworths. When Tasha was later kidnapped by agents of Strahd, Joram led the rescue attempt. Selfless to the end, he volunteered to give his life fighting Gretchen so that the group could escape. Only Kiyoko's plea that he retreat, for the sake of their unborn child, allowed him to let Alastor take his place.

Juliette - Formerly known as Anippe, after a tragic accident, the reincarnated wife of Victor chose a new name. Although her career would be plagued by a slowly eroding sanity, Juliette would remain insistent in the supremacy of illusion over more destructive forms of magic. Following the foray into Castle Ravenloft, she took possession of a mystical cottage within Weathertan, providing mystical counsel to those with the wisdom to ask for it.

She even took on an apprentice, a headstrong boy named Stewen, who seemed more interested in crushing his enemies with a maul than with magic. Alas, his apprenticeship came to an end at the hands of Strahd's new coven, and it is likely the boy now serves the Darklord in death.

Kiyoko - The mermaid Kiyoko gambled her immortality on the certainty that the mortal she had fallen in love with, Thomas Camulen, would return her love and share with her his soul. When he denied her, willing to allow her to dissolve into sea-foam rather than admit his unfaithfulness to his human betrothed, the despondent Kiyoko was rescued by the sacrifice of Joram, who passed up the romantic overtures of Lady Weathermay-Foxgrove in order to marry Kiyoko.

Permanently mute as a result of her bargain with the sea hag, Kiyoko was nevertheless a potent druid, whose magic saved Joram and his friends time and again. When Joram told her that she should stay behind during the raid on Castle Ravenloft, to protect her unborn child, Kiyoko communicated that Tasha was her child as well as his, and that she too would be coming to Barovia.

Tasha - Rescued from a group of Falkovnian opium slaves, Tasha witnessed countless horrors, including an orgy of destruction that the group would come to call the Ludendorf Beach Cove Massacre. With the guidance of Joram, Tasha would eventually come to leave behind the nihilism and violence that had become her whole world. Although she would never discard the unicorn-hide armor she delighted in wearing in his presence, Tasha would even come to befriend and love the paladin Alastor. After founding the Barnacles Thieves' Guild, Tasha began to spread her influence up and down the western coast in the form of smuggling traffic. Much of her income was used to support armed rebellions in Falkovnia.

When Joram took office in Weathertan, Godefroy finally took action against Tasha, fearing that she might one day inherit rulership of the country should both Laurie and Joram perish. Through a series of manipulative letters, he brought together an alliance of the group's former foes, providing them enough information to convince Strahd that Tasha was the latest reincarnation of Tatyana. After kidnapping the girl through intermediaries, Strahd learned the truth the moment he laid eyes on her. His divinations revealed that one of the Wayward Sons would be bringing to him the blade of the hated Sunsword, however, so he shut the girl up within Castle Ravenloft in order to use her as bait to draw in the party, a choice that would prove very unfortunate for the Darklord.

Victor - Although he cannot remember a great many specifics about his time before the asylum, Victor clings to the relationship with his wife Juliette as the only real thing he has. Despite the fact that he appeared in the asylum mere days after the brutal serial killer known as the Puppeteer vanished from Port-a-Lucine, as well as his uncanny (and unexplainable) knowledge of flensing techniques, and his penchant for waking up concealed beneath some unsuspecting lady's bed, Victor maintains that he is what he believes himself to be: a horse rancher from Nova Vaasa, nothing more. The notion that Dr. Grossman might have used psychogenic drugs and illusory magic to rehabilitate a mass murderer through brainwashing is just silly...

Tragedy struck Victor in Castle Ravenloft. Following Joram's example, Victor had adopted a young boy named Zael. Alas, the child was struck down within the castle walls, reanimated by Strahd as a vampire, forcing the party to kill one of their own in the final confrontation!

After the events of Castle Ravenloft, the group returned to Weathertan, where they would live out a relatively normal life. Juliette and Victor would eventually establish a lucrative horse trading business, after Victor created, with Kiyoko's help, a more hardy breed of horse which found itself especially in demand in Lamordia. Now cognizant of the threat against her, Tasha publicly abdicated all claim to rulership of Joram's estate, thus removing any threat to Godefroy's wishes. Joram and Kiyoko would have several more children, noble-blooded backup plans should the aging Darklord be unable to manipulate either of the twins into bearing children of their own.

The Villains
Anippe - The horrible result of a resurrection gone wrong, Anippe was Juliette's evil twin, formed from the Mists in to the likeness of her the original. After slaying Juliette (forcing the group to Reincarnate the hero into her current form) and stealing her spellbook, Anippe fled. Separated from Victor, the truth eventually became known: Anippe and her husband were not who they appeared to be! A poor peasant who had found love and family only to have it torn away by vile magical experimentation, the real Anippe was a Hazlan terrorist, who had become intent on committing genocide against Mulan and Rashemi alike. After her capture, she had been given by Hazlik to Dr. Grossman in trade for magical knowledge. The good doctor brainwashed both her and Victor into believing that they were married, sharing a delusion that their co-dependent relationship would enforce should either of them start to overcome their conditioning.

Anippe joined Strahd's new coven at Godefroy's behest, believing that she could kill Victor and thus eventually restore Juliette's memory of their past, hopefully bringing her 'sister' around to once again murdering the people she believed had wronged her. Although her illusory magic worked wonders when the coven battled the Wayward Sons, Joram finally had enough of being haunted by the mistakes of his past, and executed her.

Sasha Drakesdottir - The naive and delightful sister of Frankie, Sasha was killed in a fit of rage by a villain the Sons confronted in Lamordia. Remembering the miracles that Dr. Mordenheim had worked for him earlier in his career (the doctor had cured his mummy rot with a set of transplanted lungs), Frankie brought his sister's body to Mordenheim, who successfully cloned the girl, although he attempted to transplant his wife's brain into Sasha's new body. The group managed to wrest her away from the doctor, but her amnesia about events before awaking in Mordenheim's vats, as well as the trauma of her 'birth,' led her to flee the Sons into a life of prostitution in Port-a-Lucine. Eventually, she would bind herself mystically with several of the realms of the Core, and after taking control of a group of mystic whores in Port-a-Lucine, she would return to attempt to destroy the party she blamed for all of her woes. As the leader of Strahd's new coven (along with Gretchen and Anippe), she was defeated, although at the last she teleported away, no doubt to plan a more elaborate revenge.

The Darklord Strahd - Wooed by a gift of a Mirror of Opposition given to him early in the party's career, Strahd was positively disposed towards the Wayward Sons. After he learned the truth of Godefroy's deception, he even allowed Tasha to live, offering to allow the entire party to go if they only gave him the Sunsword. He reasoned that allowing the group (especially Tasha and Joram) to live would be a major inconvenience to Godefroy, especially after he arranged for them to 'stumble across' items within his castle that would make them resistant to ghostly possession.

Although Alastor defeated Strahd in an epic battle on the terrace overlooking the misty gorge beneath Castle Ravenloft, the party did not have the time to pursue the monster to his coffin, leaving the vampire to rise the following evening, forced to content himself with the three Wayward Sons he had converted and the two that he had killed.

Lovely miniatures all, and I was extremely grateful to have them. Only the figure I used for Barlo is my own, all the remaining minis were painted by James, who portrayed Victor.

And with that, it is with no small amounts of both regret and relief that my campaign finally reaches...
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: All good things... now with PICTURES!

Post by Dark Angel »

Sorry to hear its over, but that is a damn fine looking send off!