Quoth the Raven and themes.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Quoth the Raven and themes.

Post by Kadarin »

Jimsolo wrote:It's a simple one, but I'd like to suggest 'love' as a theme. While I'm sure other people would go a different direction with it, I always love exploring the idea of villains in love. (If you want something more specific, then 'Match Made in Hell' is my secondary suggestion.) So many problems, plots, and stories all boil down to someone loving somebody they shouldn't. So many heroes have lost love or love endangered as their primary motivation. It's such a fertile topic, I just can't use it enough in my own games.
I’d like to put my opinion in as well, if the Powers are listening...
Something like “Dark Love” sounds good to me. I’m already having some ideas for that…
k.
Morn came and went – and came, and brought no day
– George Gordon, Darkness
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
I don't think a bunch of 2nd edition stats and monsters are going to go over well.
Not true! QTR accepts all editions! We would welcome anything you have, and as you can see, there is no shortage of volunteers willing to help with conversions. So bring on the NWPs and saves vs death magic, and dual classing and kits, and of course, THAC0. :) heck, unless someone submits some dnd-next stuff, we're all using outdated systems.
You JUST made me think to submit an article on how to put ancient dead in D&D next.
And liches of course, since the D&D next lich is pathetically weak.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kadarin »

alhoon wrote:You JUST made me think to submit an article on how to put ancient dead in D&D next.
I’m sorry, this is totally off-topic and will get me flamed to no end... but when, exactly, did we forget how to count?
Let’s see:
D&D1
D&D2
AD&D1
AD&D2
D&D3 (up to this, I had counted to 5)
D&D3andahalf (I’m sorry????)
D&D4
D&D5 (no, I do not know if such a thing ever did even exist)
D&Dnext

“next” would be 5 or 6, wouldn’t it?
Do we have to make ourselves laughing stock?
k.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Honestly, this thread is the first time I've heard 'D&D Next' as an actual product name. IF that's a for-real product name, then I think the fact that we haven't forgotten how to count is exactly the point. :D By leaving the number out, you subtly tell the potential buyer that this isn't just some new version, like software or a textbook, which would probably be just as good with the last version (and at a quarter of the cost!); no, this is something NEW and DYNAMIC and DIFFERENT. It's...Next!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

As a theme, why limit ourselves to one emotion? Why not "emotions" in general? Name any single emotion and there's a place for it in Gothic horror. I've even found some old ideas on Wellsprings of Good (the counterpart to Sinkholes of Evil). The friend I mentioned in another thread decided she wanted to play instead of direct, so to speak, so I've been made the DM and am digging out old stuff to run them through given they like to play nearly every other day (gods help me). Among everything were old ideas I forgot I'd written up long before, like the Wellsprings.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Jimsolo wrote:Honestly, this thread is the first time I've heard 'D&D Next' as an actual product name. IF that's a for-real product name, then I think the fact that we haven't forgotten how to count is exactly the point. :D By leaving the number out, you subtly tell the potential buyer that this isn't just some new version, like software or a textbook, which would probably be just as good with the last version (and at a quarter of the cost!); no, this is something NEW and DYNAMIC and DIFFERENT. It's...Next!
D&D Next was the placeholder name before they announced the "real" name. Which, based on the leaked listings for the PHB from Barnes & Noble, is just "Dungeons & Dragons", no edition or subtitle.
Which is more than a little silly as we already have two versions called "Dungeons & Dragons" (which we call Original and Basic to differentiate between each other and the brand as a whole).
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Kadarin wrote:
alhoon wrote:You JUST made me think to submit an article on how to put ancient dead in D&D next.
I’m sorry, this is totally off-topic and will get me flamed to no end... but when, exactly, did we forget how to count?
Let’s see:
D&D1
D&D2
AD&D1
AD&D2
D&D3 (up to this, I had counted to 5)
D&D3andahalf (I’m sorry????)
D&D4
D&D5 (no, I do not know if such a thing ever did even exist)
D&Dnext

“next” would be 5 or 6, wouldn’t it?
Do we have to make ourselves laughing stock?
k.
I think part of the different names is to differentiate between completely different editions and just adjustments made within the same edition. 3.0 & 3.5 for example, use the same basic rule set, and 3.5 just makes a large number of adjustments to that set. Whereas 2.x and 4.0 use completely different rule sets.
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

how about dark comedy as a theme?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Kadarin wrote: D&D5 (no, I do not know if such a thing ever did even exist)
D&Dnext
Nope, as far as I know, D&D5 never existed.
After 4th edition it's D&D Next or you may call it D&D 5th. Not two editions.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

How about a theme that goes to the heart of the change of hands that hold Ravenloft's license?
Since Disney got Hasbro, we could warm them up with a nice netbook...
VIEW CONTENT:
My DMGuild work!
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I like the dark comedy suggestion but I think if we go that route then perhaps we should go for performance. We could go for performance and emotions maybe. They are in someways very connected and I was even thinking about them for entries for emotions and the like.

P.S. I don't know if Alhoon's image is appearing for anyone else but I don't see it in the spoiler! Maybe Disney and Hasbro are just that powerful! :shock:
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

A G Thing wrote:I like the dark comedy suggestion but I think if we go that route then perhaps we should go for performance. We could go for performance and emotions maybe. They are in someways very connected and I was even thinking about them for entries for emotions and the like.

P.S. I don't know if Alhoon's image is appearing for anyone else but I don't see it in the spoiler! Maybe Disney and Hasbro are just that powerful! :shock:
I can already see the inevitable Sceana tie-in...

I saw the image. Not sure if my craptop has less issues with the pic than yours or I wield a power greater than Disney. Yeah, I almost doubt both of those claims straight off.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I see the pic now too. Guess it was fixed by the dark powers.

But I agree that Sceana would have to make an appearance if performance and emotion where the theme this year. I already have an idea or two attached to that wonderful domain that I have to write up for it should it be picked.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

A G Thing wrote:I already have an idea or two attached to that wonderful domain that I have to write up for it should it be picked.
Wonderful domain? I think of it as the one place that will turn my players off from the cultured areas of the Core entirely. I am also saving it for a combo of here is an older adventure with the PCs playing parts and then dropping them into another place entirely.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kadarin »

Hmm, not that I want to, well, critisize or something, but why do I see everything on the page - as long as I'm not logged in - in pink?
Has it something to do with the nest QtR? I'd understand it if it were love. Or comedy.
At least, it would fit in both cases.
k.