New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to the Forum? introduce yourself here!

Post by Dark Angel »

This scares the hell out of me...

I have been visiting this site for years and spent quite a bit of time this summer delving into any and all posts that have captured my attention (which is to say quite a bit). I have been a long time AD&D 2nd edition player and DM, but specialize in Ravenloft when I do so. I still play the 2nd edition, but have taken third (particularly the Gazetteers and Van Richten Guides as resources). I have been streamlining my campaign setting (was getting jealous of those high and mighty Oerth and Faerun types) by setting the languages, deities, domains, cultural levels, full holiday calendar, setting weapons and combat styles down, and a self made full color poster map of the core (all of the domains are on the map as Core nations, islands in either sea, underdark style Shadow Rift which I call the Shadow Realm, and the only one not physically attached, the Nightmare Lands).

All that said, I am a huge admirer of this site and its contributors. Fantastic ideas and the primary source that motivated me to change my world to what it is now. All it takes is a single spark, an idea to change worlds!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Welcome, Dark Angel. Sounds like you're a truly dedicated fan of Ravenloft! Don't be scared, you should fit in just fine! (I think we've got an iron maiden just your size in fact. Recently vacated)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Dedicated is a word, I just began a campaign for Greyhawk that will bring the players into the Demiplane. I have never been so bored with a basic campaign (which is sad because now I have dragons, giants, and way more magic to play with). But Ravenloft is my twisted, evil baby and I love it. Compelling characters, involved story lines, and adventures with way more substance. What could be better?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Welcome, Dark Angel. Sounds like you're a truly dedicated fan of Ravenloft! Don't be scared, you should fit in just fine! (I think we've got an iron maiden just your size in fact. Recently vacated)
Dru is finished with it already? Man .......
Satyrwyld
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Satyrwyld »

Welcome Dark Angel. I you should be interested in extending your GMness online, you let me know :wink:
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Yes welcome! :)

Just mind the pet rats. They tend to nibble...

After the third toe I just came to think of it as a sign of affection!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

My biggest crutch is I never made it beyond 2nd edition [audible gasps] as 3rd never appealed to others in the group except for one guy who is really annoying. I am better with content and such and have been keeping up with (or trying to) the information. Will do what I can, thanks for the welcoming everyone!
hasek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by hasek »

I started playing Ravenloft back in the 2e days and stopped when 3e came out because I was too "cool" for DnD. After a long break we started playing Pathfinder and it is my turn to DM and I am going to set it in Ravenloft. This site seems to be the resource on the web. Thanks.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Welcome to the board.

We have signat rings to represent your new pledge to our fraternity..... just never try and take it off.

:azalin:
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

hasek wrote:I started playing Ravenloft back in the 2e days and stopped when 3e came out because I was too "cool" for DnD. After a long break we started playing Pathfinder and it is my turn to DM and I am going to set it in Ravenloft.
Welcome, hasek! good to have you here!
This site seems to be the resource on the web.
We do try. Thanks for noticing. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Posivated
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Posivated »

Hello everyone! Found the site as I was looking into Ravenloft info for my new campaign I'll be running soon. So far I think the site is one of the most dedicated fan sites to anything I have ever experienced. I look forward to talking to you all and getting involved when I can, thanks for the great resource.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Posivated wrote:Hello everyone! Found the site as I was looking into Ravenloft info for my new campaign I'll be running soon. So far I think the site is one of the most dedicated fan sites to anything I have ever experienced. I look forward to talking to you all and getting involved when I can, thanks for the great resource.

Welcome, as I am relatively new to the site for membership, but have been mining it for information for years, this is definitely the place to ask questions, voice opinions, and propose the insane things that fuel the campaigns we run.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Posivated wrote:Hello everyone! Found the site as I was looking into Ravenloft info for my new campaign I'll be running soon. So far I think the site is one of the most dedicated fan sites to anything I have ever experienced. I look forward to talking to you all and getting involved when I can, thanks for the great resource.
Hi Posivated, and welcome! Glad to have you here. But unfortunately, I'm gonna have to ask you to change your avatar. The avatars in the "fos_avatars" gallery are reserved for the Fraternity of Shadows ourselves. In particular, you've taken mine. ;)

I've taken the liberty of switching you over to the same Strahd pic from the "Avatars" gallery without the oroborous on it. (It's the one I used before being inducted into the FoS.) You can pick from any in the "Avatars" gallery if you don't like that one.
Posivated
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Posivated »

Alrighty, I don't suppose there is a way to have custom avatars? Didn't see any options for it on the profile.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Posivated wrote:Alrighty, I don't suppose there is a way to have custom avatars? Didn't see any options for it on the profile.
Yes, sure, we can do that. Send it to me or Ron and we'll see what we can do.

We try to keep avatars in the general gothic theme (except ail, but that's another story :) )

When accepted, it is added to the avatar choices.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)