Thoughts on removing morality from my campaigns

Discussing all things Ravenloft
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Thoughts on removing morality from my campaigns

Post by HuManBing »

Time to tie up a few loose ends in this thread. Jimsolo asks what the purpose of this thread is, and two of his options come closest to the mark:
Jimsolo wrote:Are you just wanting feedback on this theoretical idea? [...] Have you already decided to do it, and are merely trying to get help predicting any possible hiccups in implementation?
Most feedback in this thread seem to fall into the themes I've mentioned above, which is:

a) Good and Evil exist objectively in human behavior so posters feel that they would include it in the game, and/or
b) regardless of the truth or falsehood of point A., Good and Evil are portrayed to exist in Gothic horror and so posters feel they are inseparable from it, and/or
c) regardless of the truth or falsehood of point B., Good and Evil are portrayed to exist in Ravenloft and so others feel they is inseparable from it.

I respectfully disagree with each point above, and I have explained my reasoning in a prior post. I'm aware that I hold a minority opinion, and that's perfectly acceptable to me. On its own, being the holder of a numerically unpopular opinion does not affect my plan for my campaign.

I would consider making changes to my campaign if an objective, systemic flaw were identified in my design. However, so far every critique in this thread has been an expression of the poster's taste or preference. If this thread were describing a play-by-post campaign and the posters were future participants in this campaign, then I would take the feedback extremely seriously and would consider changing the game structure based on player preference. But in this case, the posters are essentially unrelated parties whom I asked for their feedback, and so feedback based on personal playing preferences is purely advisory rather than controlling.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd expect the exact same treatment if it were my opinion in somebody else's thread under identical circumstances.

There is one statement, however, that I'd like to comment on - purely as an observation of discourse. I'll try to be diplomatic. I might fail. But it struck me as very important because I've seen so many discussions break down with exactly this type of assumption.
Jimsolo wrote:It seems like you are trying to bring your real-world views on morality into your game.
My most succinct and diplomatic answer to this is: true, but no moreso than your proposed alternative.

Consider this: if I happened to agree with you, and I instituted a "moral absolute" structure of Good and Evil, then that would somehow not be "bringing my real-world views on morality into the game"? I posit to you that the existence of Good and Evil as objective traits in a DnD game are the implementation of the DnD designers' "real-world views on morality" which they've codified in rules for use "in your game".

There's probably a more accurate term for this phenomenon in standard theory of logic, but for the time being I'll just call it "norming" as a clumsy shorthand. Essentially, one person is assuming their familiar viewpoint is normal, and therefore any unfamiliar viewpoint is a willful deviation from normalcy. This goes even if the person is speaking from a position that requires the prior adoption of a set of assumptions: after sufficient norming, the assumptions become so ingrained that they go unquestioned.

This is perfectly natural and human, but it generates problems in debate when somebody else points it out, because the first response is usually made with some tenor of "why would anybody even question that?"

Here's an example: Much like when a pre-Newtonian observer sees an apple fall from a tree and wonders "what causes it to fall from the tree?" The predominant wisdom has been: "All objects move down; why are you overcomplicating things? It just does. Everybody knows that!" Isaac Newton probably wasn't the first person to voice that inquiry, either - there were probably numerous people in the centuries before him who asked it and then dismissed the question because everybody else thought they were posing an idle or aberrant question.

Here's another, shorter, example: A British college friend saw me studying Chinese characters, and said "That's so hard! Why don't the Chinese just write normally?" I was too young to even know how to respond to such a statement, containing as it did so many massive assumptions of viewpoint-as-fact.

My understanding is this: There is no scientific theory to measure Good or Evil. There is no universal metric by which an observer can quantify Good and Evil, or by which they can accurately judge an individual or an action as Good or Evil. To me, this raises serious questions about whether it exists as an objective absolute, and also whether it's even worth including in a game system. GURPS' core rules have no hard mechanics of alignment.

I have no doubt that people carry subjective outlooks of Good or Evil - hence, GURPS defines categories of actions which each person is willing (or unwilling) to do. I've explained this above.

Working moral relativism into a DnD Ravenloft campaign may well seem like an artificial or unnatural endeavor of "bringing my real-world views on morality into the game". Consider that working moral objectivity into GURPS would be an opposite case of the same, just in the opposite direction. (GURPS is robust enough, however, that you actually can do it without rehauling the system, unlike DnD. I put this down more to the flexibility of the system design rather than the validity or invalidity of any one moral outlook, however.)

One more point, which several posters have made, but which Jimsolo made most recently and thus I quote from him:
Jimsolo wrote:For most other social dynamics, I think that your players will have views on morality that are too far different from your own to make this fun for them.
This is an extremely tenuous argument. Essentially, you are substituting your own speculation for my first-hand knowledge of my players - you "think"; but I "know".

You posted a similar sentiment in herkles' thread, predicting how his players would react to his proposed campaign setting changes. While I understand your goodwill and concern, please beware of reducing this to a simple "appeal to the players". When it comes down to it, this logical appeal is extremely fragile - after all, most GMs will know their own players much better than their message board colleagues will. Such an argument (i.e. a prediction of players' responses) could conceivably apply in limited circumstances when you're speaking with a new GM from a position of great experience, or especially if the thread was a discussion thread for an upcoming campaign soliciting player input.

But obviously this thread is not that scenario...

Most of all, the one takeaway I hope you get from my lengthy post is: Thank you for your input - all of you. I have considered the points you've raised, and I'm offering my responses specifically because they're all worthwhile points. Everybody in this thread has responded with a clear "your mileage may vary", which shows a strong level of respect for the possibility that other people's gaming experiences may not match your own. No side is "right" or "wrong" here - I've asked for your feedback and you have given me your opinions on how you would run it. And I've made my decision.

With all the feedback gathered, as described above, I intend to keep on with my planned campaign. This is not an argumentative "defeat" for you or any sort of "victory" for me - it's just how I've decided to run this world after taking your thoughts into account. The first few sessions have been posted at the (increasingly-inaccurately-named) thread Beginner campaign in Darkon (possibly one-shot) and I invite you all to follow along. My players are clearly loving the game already and my strong feeling is they're going to love it even more as it develops.

And in the event that it does go off the rails for whatever reason, at least I shall have the honor of serving as an example of what to avoid. Even the sacrificial robot probe feels a joy at being the first to run out of fuel on an alien moonscape! :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:a) Good and Evil exist objectively in human behavior so posters feel that they would include it in the game, and/or
b) regardless of the truth or falsehood of point A., Good and Evil are portrayed to exist in Gothic horror and so posters feel they are inseparable from it, and/or
c) regardless of the truth or falsehood of point B., Good and Evil are portrayed to exist in Ravenloft and so others feel they is inseparable from it.
I don't think that was my point, but I'm not sure I ever got around to elucidating it. I would put it as follows:

a) Regardless of one's personal beliefs, the D&D system is built on the assumption of good and evil existing objectively.
b) Much of traditional Gothic Horror is built on the assumption of good and evil existing objectively.
c) Ravenloft is built on the assumption of using the D&D system, and also built on the tradition of Gothic Horror, and includes both mechanical and storyline-based features that reflect that.
d) We already know you are dissatisfied with the D&D system, and went to GURPS. That's fine.
e) We also know you don't like the canon Drakov and have remade his background and personality to be more realistic. Also fine.
f) You've cast Azalin as transhumanist and incorporated Sci-fi elements with him and Ebb. OK, not my cup of tea, but sure.
g) Now you're dissatisfied with the premise of objective good and evil and have removed that as well. Also fine.

But my question is: If you've removed so much of what Ravenloft is built around, why still play Ravenloft? OK, we know you love Azalin, (who doesn't?) but isn't there another setting that fits the sort of game you want to run better? All you've kept is a necromancer lich and despotic warlord at war, which could be anywhere.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this or that it won't work. (I've been reading your recap posts, and clearly, it's working for you.) I'm just puzzled as to why you'd want to. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:But my question is: If you've removed so much of what Ravenloft is built around, why still play Ravenloft? OK, we know you love Azalin, (who doesn't?) but isn't there another setting that fits the sort of game you want to run better? All you've kept is a necromancer lich and despotic warlord at war, which could be anywhere.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this or that it won't work. (I've been reading your recap posts, and clearly, it's working for you.) I'm just puzzled as to why you'd want to. :)
Sure thing. I guess where you're asking the question "why?", I'm coming at this from the other side and say "why not?"

It is true that I've had to change a lot about Ravenloft in order to fit my campaign, and one big detail I'm currently wrestling with right now is mapping (the new names of the coastal domains for one nitpicky example, the entire nature of Drakov for one much larger example, etc.). As a purely pragmatic issue, however, making changes to Ravenloft - even comprehensive changes to Ravenloft - is still more economical at this point than creating my own world setting from whole cloth. I've done so before, and I'm definitely going to do so again... but this particular storyline - and the way I want to tell it - is beautifully captured by Ravenloft already. Plus, as you acknowledge, there is the powerful draw of emotional attachment to Ravenloft and its characters.

(Azalin is an icon of academic frustration. I'm the child of Chinese parents. Unsurprisingly, this character speaks to me!)

I guess this just comes down to personal preference as far as "how much change is too much?" - obviously, it's well within MY tolerance limit, but I totally understand if it turns others off. But then again, such an outcome is already obviated by our watchword: "YMMV". And I have absolutely no aim to "convert" others - this is a notebook of my findings, not a proselytizing tract.

As I've mentioned before, the mere existence of Azalin as a lich in a nation like Darkon, already places a major component of Ravenloft significantly out of the ambit of traditional Gothic horror. Liches and the multiracial, magic-using, dragon-lairing "feel" of Darkon are much more associated with Vancian "modern" fantasy than Gothic. I also earlier mentioned Vladimir Ludzig as a strongly steampunk character, the illithids as a Cthulhu-style enemy morphic design, and Gwydion as a strong eldritch Lovecraftian "interloper among human dimensions" type of enemy. The basic setting is definitely flexible and adaptable, and player tastes can happen to accommodate it. But player tastes will vary, and I'm just posting my own narrow slice of experience.

As an added aside, I just got back from an eight-hour playing session with the latest events in a prisoner camp in Falkovnia. My players had some very fascinating and insightful debate about the nature of good, evil, and justice or injustice. One of their major personal enemies (Beredostich) came to his ignominious end, and their reactions to that were extremely thoughtful. At the same time, they had to grapple with the ethics of their own actions in dispatching his underlings. It was even more bittersweet because we had a one-time participant who specially rolled up a Falkovnian female soldier to fight on the opposite team from them - she got a personal audience with Beredostich at the start of the session, and it made them all more thoroughly consider a man whom they had seen to be monstrous.

Didn't help him in the end, though. :)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

These posts reference my campaign journals, linked in my signature lines. The relevant dates are 2013.05.05 and 2013.06.16.

Further ethical complexity about the character of Beredostich and his relationship with Vigo Drakov.

Beredostich falls under the sway of Vigo and it marks his descent into harmful behavior, torture, and sadism. But even throughout, he keeps a quiet remnant of his old humane nature alive - not for the camp inmates, but for Beate Arnitz, the sinecured but talented female officer sent to the camp. The implication from his journal entries is that his association with Vigo led to his increasingly inhumane behavior.

So, then the ethical inquiry focuses on Vigo himself. At the time of this campaign, Vigo is abstractly drawn as a partial non human, so his ethicality would reflect the issue of an apex predator towards its prey - in part, at least. The question of whether this excuses his actions, or merely explains them, is up to the reader and future sessions to explore. If something is not actually human, can it be faulted for behaving in an inhumane nature? The depredations of another, clearly non-human, despoiler (Bukcsa the Ogre Mage) provide another vector of inquiry.
Last edited by HuManBing on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I know I've posted a few times in this thread, and usually with fairly long replies. I have said it so often that I may have forgotten to add my standard boilerplate to this, and if I did, then I apologize. "I'm sure you know your players better than I do, and I'm sure you have their best interests at heart." All the rest, in regards to keeping your players at the top of your priority list, was merely a friendly reminder. Every DM, no matter how skilled, occasionally gets so wrapped up in a cool idea that they forget to consider how their players might view it. The best DMs catch this before it's too late. I'm sure that, with all the thought you've given this, that you're more than capable of figuring out what your players will accept and what they won't. If you thought for a second I had anything less than complete faith in your ability to read your players, I apologize again.

I did want to make one additional clarification.
HuManBing:
I posit to you that the existence of Good and Evil as objective traits in a DnD game are the implementation of the DnD designers' "real-world views on morality" which they've codified in rules for use "in your game".
I think this might be part of the point of contention. I don't think that the DnD designers (or the designers of any of the supplements) deliberately inserted their real world views on morality into their game at all. The same holds true for the majority of game designers. Instead, I think that all the well-crafted games I know of utilize a system of morality which occupies some form of 'common ground,' that most people can agree on, based on the literary conventions the game in question is drawn from (in the case of Cthulu, DnD, Deadlands, and others) or the religious mythos that it is drawn from (for games like Werewolf: the Apocalypse). The 'objective morality' present in my games doesn't necessarily fit with my own real world views on the subject. (How could it? No nuanced view on morality or ethics could be completely codified in a game system, after all.) I think that the game was designed around a set of Good and Evil guidelines that most people could agree on as part of the setting. Just as they agree on, for game purposes, the existence of magic and dragons and a whole host of other things that they may not believe in, in the real world.

HOWEVER, that's just my opinion on the subject, and I only toss that out there for consideration. It's certainly not an intent to change your line of thinking.

Once again, the most important thing is that your players enjoy themselves. As long as they're having a good time, everything else is up for grabs. Given the insane amount of time and thought you've put into this one part of your game, I'm sure that you haven't neglected their feelings, and I'm also sure that they're having a great time. I wish you nothing but the best and hope it all works out for you!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

A very fair point, and well made.

Your own qualifications rightly identify my own point of intellectual withdrawal from the Good-Evil system as used in canon Ravenloft - regardless of whether it's an objectively-common "middle ground" of Gothic horror (which I posit is not the case), or of the sampling populace of GMs (which I cannot competently comment on), my own outlook on the issue is such that I find the terms meaningless and decline to enforce them in my campaign. You could well be right about the whys and wherefores behind the WOTC/TSR alignment implementation, but even if that's true, it still doesn't result in a campaign I'm qualified to run.

As mentioned above, the terms are also far from universal in game systems: I've labored the point before that GURPS has no Good-Evil mechanic and instead opts to describe individuals in terms of what they will or won't do, rather than whether they fall into a category after external judgment. The other universal system I've played with, TriStat dX, also does not implement alignments in any way.

And as a completely personal editorial note, I'd say that everything I've seen in real life strongly suggests that's the case there too.
Last edited by HuManBing on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

What do you mean qualified to run? I mean defining what's moral and immoral is just as vague as good and evil. (maybe I missed something here xD)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Your post indicates that you've missed a lot of issues addressed in this thread and in the thread title. I'll try to clarify in a respectful manner, as befits a valued friend and peer.
Zilfer wrote:I mean defining what's moral and immoral is just as vague as good and evil.
I strongly agree. In fact, that's the whole point of this thread. I have removed morality and immorality and good and evil from my campaign because they're too vague. As I have clearly stated in numerous earlier posts in this thread.

Based on this, your post then logically simplifies to the null equation of: "Stuff A (which you've removed) is just as vague as Stuff B (which you've also removed)". Because I have removed them both, the comparison disproves nothing.
(maybe I missed something here xD)
As addressed above, yes - but I hope my clarification has helped fill in the blanks. Hopefully without hurting any feelings.

I am going to try a new personal rule: If the discussion has reached a point where a new post can be rebutted in its entirety by earlier posts I've made, then I am not going to respond to the new post. There comes a time when circularity reaches diminishing returns.

The lesbians have made me several much-needed Irish Car Bombs and I intend to drink them before they curdle - it may be some time before I respond.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

lol good luck!

No it's probably my fault of only half following the thread. Though Diminishing returns through repetition.... not quite the attitude my step father had. Argument wise i could literally start to count the circle's we had gone in and exact same word for word sentences which has given me argument endurance... Further I hear that 'practice makes perfect'. It's why we continually practice at what we want to get good at no? *off topic I know*

Anyways got you that you removed Morality! I should have thought of that in the first place because of the title. XD Horrible oversight on myself.

Have you removed the Dark Powers entirely from your campaign however since they generally punish or i should say reward with a moral compass they have mapped out.

herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

I am with HuManBing, in my own games I remove the alignment system and morality at least what can be detected IG. Do I still make it a part of the campaigns? yes, but there is no mechanics or IG power to go "this nobleman is evil" instead people have to figure it out on their own and truely wonder if some people are good or evil.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

herkles wrote:I am with HuManBing, in my own games I remove the alignment system and morality at least what can be detected IG. Do I still make it a part of the campaigns? yes, but there is no mechanics or IG power to go "this nobleman is evil" instead people have to figure it out on their own and truely wonder if some people are good or evil.

Well that's kinda out it's supposed to be or at least in my oppinion in normal games.

Sure you can take two lawful good paladin's and place them next to eachother but they may not agree on the same things. What's Lawful to one may not be lawful to another. ect. xD

Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

If you like games with no inherent alignment system, you might want to check out Deadlands. The best games of Deadlands usually involve a moment where you look around and wonder who the heroes really are...

(The original system, of course, rather than the revised d20 nightmare. :) )
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I now have the mother of all headaches in my head and the father of all headaches in my head and they're rolling around my dura mater trying to make lots of annoying crappy little headaches. I am sticking to soda waterfrom now on.
Zilfer wrote:Though Diminishing returns through repetition.... not quite the attitude my step father had. Argument wise i could literally start to count the circle's we had gone in and exact same word for word sentences
I suspect your step father may actually be the same person as my father, "LoudDad". Is he also extremely loud?
Zilfer wrote:Have you removed the Dark Powers entirely from your campaign however since they generally punish or i should say reward with a moral compass they have mapped out.
I have removed the Dark Powers, yes. There are still elements of supernatural and superhuman powers in the campaign (see Vigo Drakov, Azalin) but there is no longer any sense off some neutral impassive tribunal that dispenses justice based on secret scorekeeping. The campaign is running very well as it is, and my players are having great fun with it. The posthumous ethical complexity of their erstwhile torturer, Beredostich, is generating a lot of discussion among the players.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lol I will say he is 50 percent japanese. And is loud often. :D on phone more to come later

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Jimsolo wrote:If you like games with no inherent alignment system, you might want to check out Deadlands. The best games of Deadlands usually involve a moment where you look around and wonder who the heroes really are...

(The original system, of course, rather than the revised d20 nightmare. :) )

Excellent suggestion, I'll look into it. Thanks Jimsolo! :D