These aren't being designed for Ravenloft per se...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

These aren't being designed for Ravenloft per se...

Post by Steve Miller »

... but I seem to be in a bit of horror mood of late. Click here to check out a couple of artifacts I've written up to see if you find them useful.

Both of the first RPG items I've written for the A to Z Blogging Challenge that we've decided to take part in at the NUELOW Games blog would fit right into a Ravenloft d20 game. (Heck, I'm trying to write these so they can be easily adapted to AD&D2 as well, since I'm trying to make items that work for both OpenD6 and OGL d20--rather like I did with the magic items in "Shadows of Dreams"
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: These aren't being designed for Ravenloft per se...

Post by HuManBing »

Very cool! I can see Amaterasu's cloak being very useful for the Morninglord or Andral faiths, and Bridget's whip has plenty of promise for a Falkovnian relic. Looking forward to more!

And with tongue firmly in cheek, here's an anachronistic entry for the letter C:

Chigurh's coin. This coin has been traveling decades to get here, and I'm going to toss it, and you're going to have to call it, friendo. I can't call it for you, because the coin got here the same way I did. What's at stake? Good question - everything's at stake. You've been putting it up your whole life without realizing it, and now you have to call it.

Get it right, and it's your lucky day - keep the coin somewhere apart from the rest, so it won't get mixed in with the others.

Get it wrong, and you're a dead man walking. I won't tell you you can save yourself - because you can't. I'll effortlessly open every door you hide behind, punching out the locks as if poking them open with a finger. I'll eliminate your friends, contacts, dependents with a thumbprint to the forebrain, and nobody will see or hear me. The two million dollars in cash will give you a head start, but I'll find you, sure as the falcon finds the hare. If you're smart, you'll spend half of it on hookers and drugs and for the rest of it, go all in. You know that if you run, you're only going to die tired.
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

That's not a bad idea there... I may have to "borrow" it. :)

Today's entry in the A to Z series are a couple of feats that should probably fit right into a Ravenloft game, which is why I'm putting this link here.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

These are good stuff! I'm not sure how often you intend to update, but would you be wiling to let us know when you put up new stuff? This seems like some dynamite material!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

For this month, there will be some new RPG item every Mon - Sat at the NUELOW Games blog. If there's something that feels particularly horror oriented, I'll be sure to pop in here and let you fine people know.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I just read D, and I love those plants.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Here's another horror-flavored item.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Steve Miller wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Here's another horror-flavored item.
I would say that I prefer this Lich phylactery from the generic lich phylactery...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

alhoon wrote:I would say that I prefer this Lich phylactery from the generic lich phylactery...
You clearly are a man of refined tastes! :)

Here are two more items that might fit in an RL-style horror game: Ot's Armband of Faithfulness and Paula's Apron Strings.

Comments are welcomed, as always.
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Although talent trees are not used in a typical Ravenloft game, some of this may still be useful for inspiration. Click here to check out the Sin Eater talent tree, as well as the Spirit Armor feat at the NUELOW Games blog.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, the spirit armor feat seems to work well in lieu of the ancestral item feat.
My DMGuild work!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

alhoon wrote:Well, the spirit armor feat seems to work well in lieu of the ancestral item feat.
I have no recollection of the ancentral item feat. I hope I wasn't the one who originally created it. :)