Brandon Sanderson, "Mistborn"

Books, movies, television and everything else
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Brandon Sanderson, "Mistborn"

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey,

Quick question: Just found this title, read the wiki.

Is this just an ersatz Ravenloft, or just a very similar premise?

Yours,

Rafe
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Brandon Sanderson, "Mistborn"

Post by Trike »

I haven't read the series, but from looking at the wiki it just seems like a similar premise. There is a lot of high fantasy going on in the series that doesn't fit Ravenloft very much.

However, there are some parts that are very intriguing for Ravenloft material. The Hemalurgy section would be a cool addition.

Also, the Mistwraiths and Kandra would be very appropriate monsters for Ravenloft.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this series, Rafe. I might have to check these out.

Has anyone read them that could offer a non-spoiler style review?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Glad you find it helpful, pal.

Actually, I have been listening to the audiobook these days, and I got to say, not really my cup of tea.

Not bad, but sort of unremarkable, in my opinion.
I think Sanderson tries to emulate His Dark Materials, as well as more obscure stuff like, in fact, Ravenloft.
His problem is, though, quite simply, that his setting is not as strong as his models, and his story is not that original either.
(At least until the point that I have been listening now.)

If you're looking for a holiday read that fits for Ravenloft, I personally would recommend Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint.
That one, endlessly better. :)

Then again, I am not really into the genre any more, and I have displayed weird taste when it comes to books:
For example, I adore the Runelords books by David Farland, which are generally considered crap, so my statement might not be too valid.
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

I know how you feel. My friends are locked on Song of Fire and Ice and The Wheel of Time. But I am endlessly locked in the gravitational pull of classic Roger Zelazny like an envious, dwarf moon.