Jackie Montarri

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Jackie Montarri

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Zilfer wrote:I'm pretty sure her voice does not change. I do remember her having Madame Eva's head because she killed Eva. (who's still alive) <--- just weird and never really got why except that the Zarovan Vistani must be time travelers!
Indeed they are. Or more accurately, they exist outside of time as we know it. See VRG to Vistani for more details.

Another potential gossip about why she's veiled: she's obviously from some foreign land (in the mists?) where the women veil themselves. Never trust a foreigner! (this is Barovia, after all...)
Yeah, the problem is finding a copy without resorting to :lucas: . If you catch my drift. I don't have a spotless record of that in the past though I always prefer books to PDF's. Though I have neither, and would love to get the Van Richten Guides if I could. xD They are 2e aren't they? So a little bit working around but i could use the fluff!

I'm still not sure if I want to use Jackie, maybe i'll introduce her next session. :D We'll see. I need a bunch of hooks for the next game. We'll see if i throw out five hooks if they'll at least bite one. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Zilfer wrote:Yeah, the problem is finding a copy without resorting to :lucas: . If you catch my drift.
My mind wanted to come up with some silly interpretations of that bit of smilie usage, but rather than being a smartass, I'll move on...

The information about the Zarovan and timetravel can also be found in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook/Campaign Setting's section on the Vistani, under the Manusa tasque.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

What about the spell gentle repose, could she either find a wand or pay a spellcaster to keep her heads renewed?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jackie's been around so long, it's unlikely that she hasn't come across that spell previously. If she isn't using it all the time, it presumably doesn't work. Which is only to be expected: a major-league curse applied in vengeance by the most powerful of Vistani tribes shouldn't be something that a stock low-level spell can circumvent.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^maybe each head gets a saving throw and how do you tell if it's made it's saving throw with gentle repose? You probably don't. Though realize a gentle repose spell may work on the head but how long is the duration of a 'day' compared to how long a 'day' is to the head? It may be reduced to hours or minutes. i forget how her curse effect her head. Just a thought. :)

vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

I think gentle repose should be a weakness to her. Similar to the slow spell. Or maybe something that attacks her mental attributes.
my bones among the rocks and roots
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

is this character still looking for her original head or has she given up by now? Does her original head decompose or is it already lost? Could she cast some form of restoration on it if she ever found it? I am curious about different perspectives on her motives.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah i'm kinda curious if anyone let her find her own head, or what's really keeping her away.... or what way to break the curse.

I mean it'd be messed up if she got her real head back and then guess what! It ages 10 years the first day. xD

EDITED by Nathan of the FoS to remove profanity. Please refrain from the four-letter words! Thanks!

Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Is it trite to suggest that her own head IS the Madame Eva head, under a powerful concealing illusion or alteration spell? You get the "hide in plain sight" phenomenon plus the idea that Jackie's vanity will keep her from ever even thinking about that head when she doesn't have to.
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

Does anyone else remember reading about her head being in the black vault? Maybe it was just eluded to.
my bones among the rocks and roots
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

considering how fast her heads are to decompose. would krezk sort of not have any girls or they would all be ugly. would be intresting "great morninglord give me a hideous deformed daughter so jackie doesn't kill her". Of course when if I used Jackie I sort of extend the ammount of time for her heads to decompose to make things make sense for the plots.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

She also travels a lot, and picks up fresh heads when she does.

However, I also alter the aging rate of her heads to ten times normal speed (as opposed to 365 times!).
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ryan Naylor wrote:She also travels a lot, and picks up fresh heads when she does.

However, I also alter the aging rate of her heads to ten times normal speed (as opposed to 365 times!).
I like that. I always figured there would be Van Richten (or another hunter) trying to find what is cutting nice ladies's head all over the core. Because at the suggested rate, that's a a lot of heads each year ;)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^ Your right about that. She'd need a new one each week? And if she still wants to stay beautiful then she's got little time to search for her real head if she's that concerned with how she looks. xD

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

A bit more than one per week: the head gets a negative level each week, and when it gets to zero it tumbles off her neck.

Given the average level is, let's say 2-3, that's still a high number of heads per year. She can also wander headless, but then she's is the one getting a negative level, which she recovers when she wears a new/fresh head.

I think she must do a good job of hiding the bodies (in the mists?), otherwise, there would be rumors/stories of a bogeyman that cut the heads of nice ladies ;) in many places of the Core.

Since it is said she prefers Barovians heads, anywhere from 20-40 women's death a year is a lot of death from one domain.

So slowing the decay of her heads is one possibility, or having Jacqueline having a head that doesn't give her anything (but that doesn't age either) is another solution.

---

Another question, To Sleep with Evil suggests she can travel the mist without risk of errors, or with less risks (?), similar of a vistani's ability, but her Gaz description isn't saying anything about it (same with MCII). Suggestions ?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)