Discussing all things Ravenloft
Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Tail, Wing, Fang and Claw

Post by Buzzclaw »

Buzzclaw wrote:Linorms are good fits for
Linnorms, sorry.

Also, with all this discussion of Dragons as embodiments of greed I found something that fits; Ghost Dragons with bodies made of treasure :shock:

http://web.archive.org/web/200906021317 ... /20070307b
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by MichaelTumey »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:
Vorpal Dragon wrote: Can one blame WOTC in making their flagship creature the most powerful (by default, and ignoring Gods)? In Western Lore, I have not heard of one magical dragon, but what about other cultures? Did the Chinese and Japanese cultures have any such dragons? That I'm not sure about that.
You've never heard of magical dragons in Western Lore? Well, dragons are a sort of hobby of mine. There are a lot of dragons in Western Lore. Some of my favorites include:

The traditional Tarrasque, fought by Saint Martha.
The nameless dragon in the story of Beowulf.
The Lambton Wyrm - this is probably my favorite! Very Ravenloft.
Tiamat - the ancient Babylonian god. Not the Dragonlance diety.

But don't take my word for it. Here's a gigantic list of historical and popular dragons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dr ... _mythology
8)

Anyway, the best use of a dragon in Ravenloft I had was presenting the dragon in a very medieval fashion. I looked at alot of old woodcut pictures of dragons and fashioned my monster after those. It wasn't the CGI, giant lizard, super-intelligent creature presented in alot of fantasy games.

My dragon had three heads - one was human, one was a baboon's head, and one was a serpents. It's hind quarters were goat's legs, and its forepaws were those of a lion. It lived down in the bottom of a cave, the source of a blight that was infecting the entire village of Vallaki.
The linnorns of the Pathfinder Bestiary seem to best replicate the description of worm type dragons as found in Celtic lore of the British isles, these being flightless and often breath-weapon-less snake-like reptiles with poisonous bites, like the Stoor Worm. As well as living in underwater caves, these worms are often found on remote isles in the sea or within lakes.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I've been kicking around the idea of a dragon who's dragon-dom is essentially a weapon of last resort. A crime boss, smuggling drugs, people, and weapons across the Core. Apparently a bespectacled, doughy man of late middle age, he would make a very unnassuming villain. When confronted, of course, polymorph comes off, and then it's PC-devouring time.

I'd like to see a dragon in Ravenloft as something more than just a big-nasty-winged-lizard-with-maybe-some-magic-powers. I like my dragons more arch-villainy than that, and I think Ravenloft doesn't really seem like the place to do that with dragons, so much. It's more the realm of human evil, and when you use things that are more evil than humans could possibly ever be you run the risk of cheapening the experience. (That's why I don't allow drow PC's anymore, and severly limit my use of demons and other evil outsiders.)

I dunno. I like the idea of Ebb, and definitely her mate, and am thinking about doing something with that, although I'm not sure what. (Azalin and Ebb send her eggs into fosterage with carefully chosen people in a selection of other domains, to give him a powerful ally in those domains decades down the line?)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

One of the dread possibilities was the kobolds of Falkovnia are somehow allied with Ebb (or see her as a deity and supplicate before her).

What starts off as a quisling little kobold uprising could turn into total war if a shadow dragon or two entered on the weaker side.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

HuManBing wrote:One of the dread possibilities was the kobolds of Falkovnia are somehow allied with Ebb (or see her as a deity and supplicate before her).

What starts off as a quisling little kobold uprising could turn into total war if a shadow dragon or two entered on the weaker side.
The question here is, what do a tribe of kobolds have to offer a shadow dragon it would move outside of its lair a considerable distance away to help them? Worship perhaps?
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

The usual. Slave labor. Meatshields. Food source. Treasure (kobolds are awesome miners). A better lair than the dragon could build itself, since they are also dynamite architects and trapmakers. Catspaws. A disposable army. I can think of lots of uses for a tribe of kobolds. I'm sure a dragon could think of a few more than me. I hadn't really kicked that idea around much, because I try to avoid conflicts that don't involve humans at some point that the PCs can identify with, but it could work.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Jimsolo wrote:The usual. Slave labor. Meatshields. Food source. Treasure (kobolds are awesome miners). A better lair than the dragon could build itself, since they are also dynamite architects and trapmakers. Catspaws. A disposable army. I can think of lots of uses for a tribe of kobolds. I'm sure a dragon could think of a few more than me. I hadn't really kicked that idea around much, because I try to avoid conflicts that don't involve humans at some point that the PCs can identify with, but it could work.
I believe it was written somewhere that the Falknovian rebels (was it Gondegal's?) had attempted or considered allying with the Spawns of the Lizard (the kobolds resisting Drakov and his men). Perhaps that is where the human ally element could come in?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
Jimsolo wrote:The usual. Slave labor. Meatshields. Food source. Treasure (kobolds are awesome miners). A better lair than the dragon could build itself, since they are also dynamite architects and trapmakers. Catspaws. A disposable army. I can think of lots of uses for a tribe of kobolds. I'm sure a dragon could think of a few more than me. I hadn't really kicked that idea around much, because I try to avoid conflicts that don't involve humans at some point that the PCs can identify with, but it could work.
I believe it was written somewhere that the Falknovian rebels (was it Gondegal's?) had attempted or considered allying with the Spawns of the Lizard (the kobolds resisting Drakov and his men). Perhaps that is where the human ally element could come in?
I think your pretty close actually. I think it was Gondegal's men.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Re:

Post by eldritch »

HuManBing wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:There are few in canon / serious writing:
- a Tarnished Dragon from the Forgotten Children netbook
- According to Elena Faithhold, there is a red dragon devasting parts of her land (Nidalia)
- Strahd had a red dragon in his castle (killed by Soth in KotBR) (but could be back as a dracolich)
- another dreamlike dragon in Forgotten Terror
- and of course there is Ebb, Azalin’s shadow dragon, with his mate (Darkon) (Gaz 2)
Joël
(Tiny nitpick: Ebb is a female dragon. The rest of Joël's post is spot-on.)

Seems everyone has overlooked one Ravenloft product that has a dragon mentioned:
Ravenloft II:The House on Gryphon Hill 1986 TSR AD&D I10 9181 page 36
M30:Trophy Room
The walls of this room are lined with the heads of great and savage beasts. The heads of a gorgon, hell hound, lion, owlbear, and peryton line the side walls. Alone on the end wall gleams the sinister head of a black dragon.
In a locked case to the side of the room is Lord Weathermay's hunting equipment, long unused. The equipment includes a longbow +3, 24 arrows +2, and 3 spears +2.

True, this is before Mordentshire was "trapped in the mists" for 2nd Edition AD&D Ravenloft, but it is in the Ravenloft product line.
Last edited by eldritch on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

There's a great idea for a plotline involving cultists trying to find the head and resurrect it somewhere in there...
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re:

Post by eldritch »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Actually, the "dragon" which Lord Soth confronted in Strahd's castle may not have been the genuine article. In the original I6 module, four dragons *statues* in Castle Ravenloft could come to life as (small) red dragons to attack intruders. Given the rarity of such beasts, Strahd's replacable "dragons" might make more sense as golems or oversized Figurines Of Wondrous Power than as true dragons; in the "House Of Strahd" 2E module update, they were replaced with gargoyle golems, IIRC.
Ravenloft 1983 TSR AD&D I6 9075 page 13:
K7. Entry
The ornate massive doors hang open. Fluttering torches cast dim yellow flickers of light from the entry way. Twenty feet into the castle, a second set of doors suddenly swings open effortlessly and the sounds of music flow out. Overhead, in the entryway, four statues of dragons glare down, their eyes flickering in the torch light.
If the PCs enter this room through the west doors, the dragons will not attack. If anyone except Strahd enters this room through the doors, the dragons come alive, drop to the floor hissing and spitting and attack. These small dragons allow adventurers into the castle, but not out of it. Whenever this room is empty, the dragons return to their perches and turn to stone. The dragons never leave this room
4 red dragons: AC-1; MV 9"/24"; HD 9; hp 18, 18, 18, 18 #AT 3; Dmg 1-8 / 1-8 / 3-30; AL CE

Master of Ravenloft 1986 TSR Advanced Dungeons&Dragons adventure gamebook 6 page 71:
You involuntarily close your night-accustomed eyes to the bright glare of torches beyond the doorway. When you see again, your eyes are drawn upward to four statues of dragons mounted above the door. You think you detect a momentary flash in one's eyes and tap it with your sword tip to find that it is indeed a stone statue.

Knight of the Black Rose 1992 TSR page108-109
A small entry hall, no wider than the main doors, greeted them. Near the ceiling, four dragons carved from red stone crouched. They seemed ready to pounce on unwelcome visitors, their gemstone eyes glittering menacingly.
on page 147-152 is found the battle with Soth and the red dragon. The text never mentions it was one of the four carved stone red dragons on page 108 (what happened to the other three?) but it does occur in the same entry way location. The Dragon dies from Soth's spell and remains a corpse not stone, and appears a real mortal red dragon that talks (and Soth speculates might be old enough to have learned spells) throughout the encounter.

House of Strahd 1993 TSR AD&D 2nd ed. RM4 9418 page 29:
7. Entry
....Overhead, in the entryway, four statues of horned and winged monstrosities glare down, their eyes flickering in the torchlight.

As Rotipher pointed out they are changed to Gargoyle Golems in House of Strahd, but it also lists the supposed "original description" from Ravenloft 1983 module:
Margoyles (4): AL CE; Int low; AC 2; MV 6, Fl 12 (C); HD 6; hp 40 each; THAC0 15; #AT 4; Dmg 1d6/1d6/2d4/2d4; SA Surprise; SD +1 weapon to hit; MR nil; SZ M; ML elite (13); XP 975.
The Margoyles are not actually statues, but their stony skin texture gives them the appearance of statues. They do not noticeably move or breathe. The margoyles won't even react if attacked, unless actual damage is caused to one of them. They are completely indistinguishable from statues until they move to attack.

Not an original description at all, as you can see from the actual 1983 Ravenloft module entry above. LOL! why would they fake the original version in the remake? The text in the description is largely the same but the game stats are completely new even in the "original description" panel.
Where did they get all of that from?

The Silver Anniversary Edition of Ravenloft module 1999 TSR (Wizards of the Coast) TSR 1397 page 21 entry description is largely the same as House of Strahd, but has different Gargoyle Golems game stats and a similar but different DM monster description, but no mention of dragons (or margoyles) at all. Clearly they Retconned these "Dragons" right out of Ravenloft.

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft 2006 D&D (3.5 edition) Wizards of the Coast page 93:
The small entry chamber is illuminated by flickers of fire in the mouths of two coiled stone dragons that form an archway at the room's far end. their mouths direct the light in your direction, cloaking the room beyond in darkness.
the new stats and half page description of their tactics and abilities for these two stone dragons (what happened to the original four red dragons?) are on page 128 along with this general monster description:
These stone dragons are relatives of gargoyles. They are serpentine in shape, longer than true dragons, with shorter legs and more slender bodies. Thye appear to hold torches wrapped in their tongues within their gaping mouths, but these are actually organs that enable them to breathe cones of fire.

In the Castle Ravenloft Boardgame 2010 Wizards of the Coast has no mention of the original red dragons in the entry way however it does contain a dragon. The Adventure book page 8 Adventure 6 Destroy the Dracolich, the dracolich Gravestorm is described as Strahd's most powerful ally.
An undead dragon called a dracolich has answered Strahd's call. Now it rampages through the countryside every night, destroying everything in its path. You decide to enter the dungeon crypt to find the lair of the dracolich. And then, if luck is with you, you plan to destroy it before it can attack Barovia again. The cleric of Barovia provided this advice:" find the creature's phylactery. It holds the dracolich's evil essence. destroy the phylactery, and your task will be much easier to accomplish.
Joël of the FoS wrote: - Strahd had a red dragon in his castle (killed by Soth in KotBR) (but could be back as a dracolich)
Joël
Perhaps someone did think of the dragon coming back as a Dracolich!

Does anyone have Strahd's Possesion 1994 Strategic Simulations, Inc. TSR PC video game and does it have a description of the Red Dragons in the entry way to Castle Ravenloft?
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

Jester of the Fos posted his Castle ravenloft 5E update on the thread about 5E and it appears the red dragons are back
K7. Entry
Creatures: 4 red dragons (use 4 harpies)
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

Buzzclaw wrote:
Buzzclaw wrote:Linorms are good fits for
Linnorms, sorry.

Also, with all this discussion of Dragons as embodiments of greed I found something that fits; Ghost Dragons with bodies made of treasure :shock:

http://web.archive.org/web/200906021317 ... /20070307b
What a cool concept ghost dragons unwilling to give up their hoard so they become it so to speak. very cool. I think they should have added the only way to destroy it would be to scatter the treasure hoard or spend a significant portion.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah I remember them being gargoyles however if it is dragons.... then (insert word here) yeah!

:D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

Jimsolo wrote:There's a great idea for a plotline involving cultists trying to find the head and resurrect it somewhere in there...
perhaps a Mordenheimer could covet this item as a super rare golem part or wants to create a zombie dragon golem. Would a wizard dare to resurrect a powerful black dragon? interesting...