I'M GONNA WRECK IT!!! SPOILERS: WRECK IT RALPH!!!

Books, movies, television and everything else

Did you like the movie and favorite character?

Yes!
43%
No!
14%
Wreck-It Ralph
14%
Fix-It Felix Jr.
No votes
Vanellope von Schweetz
14%
Sergeant Tamora Jean Calhoun
14%
Other (Explain below if you wish!)
No votes

Total votes: 7

A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

I'M GONNA WRECK IT!!! SPOILERS: WRECK IT RALPH!!!

Post by A G Thing »

So anyone want to discuss the movie with spoilers a plenty? :D
I assume it may take awhile so I will wait! :D
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
ScS of the Fraternity

Re: I'M GONNA WRECK IT!!! SPOILERS: WRECK IT RALPH!!!

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Turbo-tastic!

I saw the movie and loved it. I'm an old school videogamer from the Atari age so when I heard that it was based on old games I was pretty psyched to see it. There was a lot of love for the old games. I especially loved how the characters from the 8-bit games were animated. The jerky movements perfectly captured the feel of old video games.

I really liked the appearance of video game characters. I kind of wish a few more could have been jammed in, and maybe a few more licenses. Oh, well.

I saw it in 3D and it is likely the best use of 3D I've seen in a long time. In most movies I have seen the 3D effect fails because the object appears flat even though it appears to be in a different plane as the background. In wreck-it, the fact that the video game effects are supposed to be a little flat helps make the image appear to be real. I'm not sure that makes sense.

The writing was very good. I think it pulled on the right heart strings. There were some nice ironic scenes, such as when Ralph steals the medal while the holographic marine drones on and on about heroism and sacrifice. Maybe I'm losing my touch, but I didn't see the last plot twist coming. [You know what I'm talking about.]

Reilly was pretty good; he has a lot of practice playing the downtrodden underdog. I heard that some people didn't like Sarah Silverman. i thought she was very good, even if she was not stretching her acting ability. Maybe I shouldn't have watched so many episodes of 30 Rock because I kept confusing the character Fix-it Felix Jr. for Kenneth the Page. I think the writers were doing that, too. Jane Lynch was pretty solid. I'd go so far as saying that she's a dynamite lady.

So, all in all, I'd give it four gold medals out of five.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fish Zangief's speedo out of the Lost and Found bin.
Evil Reigns!!!!
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: I'M GONNA WRECK IT!!! SPOILERS: WRECK IT RALPH!!!

Post by A G Thing »

Well with the ball officially rolling I have to say I loved the film too... Grew up with the old games as well and also thought it was great that some of the old characters had jerky motions... It seems though that the more important the character to the plot the less likely it was for the motions to jerk...

As for the performances I loved Riley's performance and felt he played up the frustration and attitude of Ralph just enough to get the feel that he was really tired of it all being the same. That helped a lot considering that you see how he is treated even though it is his job.

Sarah Silverman however turns in the best performance for me on a lot of levels in that Vanellope is the heart of the film. She really makes her character come off just dysfunctional and sarcastic in the right ways to highlight the times when you see how raw a deal she has gotten. While I will agree it did not push her range far she did use it to best effect and I really did forget at times it was Sarah Silverman playing her.

Fix-it Felix Jr was funny and his voice actor surely pulls off his role... I don't watch 30 Rock so I guess I have to at least see a bit of that to understand but in a way I guess it helped not to have that reference unless it undercut some of the jokes. Still it was awesome to watch how such a useful power had its drawbacks in some situations... Nesquick and prison bars...

GI Jane Lynch was also good and to hear the sappy one-liners that she kept spouting as well as to watch her just deal with her... Backstory... PRICELESS! Also where on earth was she hiding that gun?

All these performances plus the nostalgia blinders and eye candy left me wide open for the film to just carry me. I LOL at so many scenes and while I was wondering what was happening I did not sit and think through the film because I was just enjoying it. It definitely made things harder to predict as I also did not see the twist coming and for just a second I even thought maybe I was wrong about a certain rather Tudyk voiced characters intentions.

I'd give it five over-sized Cherries out of five.
I am going to go see if there is a planned playable version of Sugar Rush coming out.
Oreo... Orree O! Oreo... Orree O!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."