15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: 15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mangrum wrote:BTW, we've lost touch with Chris over the years, but I know he posts here on occasion. If you see this, Chris, jump in, and then drop us a line!
The last thing I have is his gmail account, from when we worked on the NoS. Is it what you have?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

And Andrew Hackard just joined our membership, great! Welcome!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Andrew Hackard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Hackard »

Howdy, all! I can't believe it's been 15 years since my first contributions to the Kargatane, which led in short order to joining their "exalted" ranks. And that experience -- still one of the best things I've ever done -- led to getting a job at Steve Jackson Games, a job I never would have had the confidence to go after, much less the skills to obtain, without all the groundwork on the BoS series and the website and everything else.

There are certainly regrets. Working at SJ Games curtailed the time I had for writing, which meant my contributions to the final BoS netbooks were meager indeed. I certainly wish the situation with Arthaus had gone differently. And as life happened and we got further from the heady glory days of the Kargatane, we all drifted apart to a certain extent, and I miss the days (and nights!) of frequent email and ICQ conversations, especially at this time of year when we would all pretty much drop whatever else we were doing to get the last nails hammered into the newest BoS.

But all that is minor compared to the fiendships (er, friendships) I made in those years of work. I take special pride in knowing how many people were nurtured in the Kargatane netbooks and have gone on to success as writers, editors, and game designers . . . including a couple that we NEVER would have guessed! That, I think, is the contribution I'm proudest of -- much like parents watching their children move out of the house and into their new lives. I still remember the fun times when a submission would come in and get six immediate YES votes (although I do admit that the NO votes were sometimes pretty entertaining in their own right!).

Finally, I have to thank Stuart, John, Joe, Chris, and Charles for asking me to join them, and Andrew, Andrew, and Matthew for joining us in later years. And, of course, Barry, who was there at the start. I could not have asked for a greater bunch of collaborators and friends.
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

Wlecome back!
I'm returning after about year or two absence and what I see? That all Big Names have returned. That fifteen yewars has passed since first book of S____! MNy dear, I remeber how I downloaded it on University's computer, took it home home and read! Those were the times!

I had no chance to say thank you and I do so, now. Thank you very much, gentlemen. Both Kargatane and Fraternity, you had created a place, where I could meet a fellow Ravnloft fans and I knew, In was not alone.

One more time, thank you!
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
stu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by stu »

Joël of the FoS wrote:For the others, are you still gaming?
Yep, still gaming - with the same group of people I've been gaming with for the last 17 years (!). Although it has to be said that with 5 of the group having kids under 5 years old, the games are much less frequent now - at best, once a month, and often less than that.

But I haven't played Ravenloft since the campaign I was running back when the BoS series started, and that campaign ended in 1999 (I'll post more on that later). Since then, our group has played Call of Cthuhlu, d20 Wheel of Time, d20 Modern and D&D 4E in various incarnations, and I ran a long Mage campaign (now also finished).

I confess I haven't really kept up with what's going on with Ravenloft and the Shadowfell - although I do periodically check these messageboards to see what's going on!

Stu
Stu, previously of the Kargatane
stu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by stu »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Don't ask me why, that last night, I made a screen copy of the board ;)
Each of the Kargatane actually has a CD archive of the whole site, including the messageboards, as it was at the end of Halloween 2003 - I still occasionally have a browse when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Stu
Stu, previously of the Kargatane
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Andrew Hackard wrote:Finally, I have to thank Stuart, John, Joe, Chris, and Charles for asking me to join them, and Andrew, Andrew, and Matthew for joining us in later years. And, of course, Barry, who was there at the start. I could not have asked for a greater bunch of collaborators and friends.
You forgot me again!

For those at home, the others forgetting me is a long and well established precendent. I suspect it's because I was the last to join and in the wrong timezone to drop in for chats often. Or possibly Andrew intended not to thank me... :)

As you all know, I’m still around a lot. Especially since I started a new job which means I’m sitting at a desk all day instead of working in a lab. I still play Ravenloft using the Pathfinder rules. In fact, I was out running Carrion Crown (Wake of the Watcher, set in Darkon) for my regular group last night.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:- Have you kept up on Ravenloft at all? Seen the latest Dungeon and Dragon magazines?
- What are your thoughts on the recent incarnation of Ravenloft, split up and used for parts in the Shadowfell, rather than as a cohesive world? Travesty or Necessary Reinvention?
I didn’t keep up with Dragon or Dungeon since the change to 4th ed (as I said, Pathfinder is much more my thing), so my knowledge of what’s been happening with the Shadowfell is patchy at best. Like Cermak, I don’t think it was a necessary reinvention, and I prefer RL as a coherent demiplane, but I suppose if it keeps Strahd and Azalin in the public consciousness, then it’s not all bad. (In all honesty, I lean a little bit more towards “travesty,” but this is no time for negativity.
- What would have been your dream project to write for Arthaus that never materialized?
I really regret not finishing off the Gazetteers. There was also the book of pocket domains I wanted to do that never got done. I would have liked to see some of John’s ideas (particularly) turn up. Actually, in an ideal world, I would have liked to see John as actual developer for the line rather than just shadow developer. It probably would have killed him, but I think things would have been stronger for it. I’ve always regarded John with worshipful awe, really.

Chris’ ideas about illithids and VRG to Eldritch Horrors would have been interesting too.
- Any Ravenloft goodies kicking around in your head you've never gotten around to publishing? (we're always looking for Quoth the Raven articles, and you would certainly be welcome!)
Always. Ravenloft has been with me since I was 15 (appropriately enough that was when the Book of Souls came out, although I didn’t discover the Kargatane until a year or two later). Scratch that – it’s more fair to say, my life has revolved around Ravenloft since I was 15. As I accidentally let slip a while ago, I decided to write the Bumper Fun Super Editions of the big 3 books, so that’s what I’ve been doing recently. We’ll see how it goes.
- What's your proudest contribution to Ravenloft? Your biggest regret?
I was going to say Noises in the Night, but a moment’s reflection reveals the answer is actually Mictlan. I still get emails about it (although not that many, it must be said). If I remember correctly, it was the first thing I wrote for submission, the first thing that was accepted, and it was the article the Kargatane decided to release as the teaser for the book. When I saw that, I sat glowing with shock and pride. It was also the article that brought me to their attention, I suppose, for when Joe (I think) left and they needed a replacement. So really, the peak of my life came at 17 or 18. :)

Noises in the Night is a close second though. It really seemed to touch a nerve.

My biggest regret is not following it all up. After the Great Falling Out (a regret in itself, although one I had nothing to do with), I got an email asking if I wanted to write for the Campaign Classics section in Dragon. I was about to start Honours and was going on exchange, so I had to prioritise my studies, but I sometimes think, “I could be working for Paizo now if I’d just decided differently.”

So if there’s anyone out there from Paizo: take me back! I’m sorry!

Actual RL related regret: I wish the Valachan gazetteer had been better received. There were a lot of dualities and uneasy melding in there (like the colonialism) to reflect von Kharkov’s nature, but they didn’t get the cut through they deserved. I worked really hard trying to make von Kharkov and Valachan interesting, and it still ends up in “Worst Darklord/Domain” lists, which is a bit disheartening.

But overall, the Kargatane was a great adventure for me, and something that I’m still really proud of being a part of.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Andrew Hackard wrote: Finally, I have to thank Stuart, John, Joe, Chris, and Charles for asking me to join them, and Andrew, Andrew, and Matthew for joining us in later years. And, of course, Barry, who was there at the start. I could not have asked for a greater bunch of collaborators and friends.

Not only did you forget Ryan, you greatly overstate my role by putting me in there with the others. As most, I'm the "unsettled prophetic inmate in the attic" Stuart mentioned. :)
Andrew Hackard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Hackard »

My apologies to Ryan for forgetting him RIGHT AFTER I saw a message from him on Facebook. I suck.

And my apologies to Matthew for implying he did any work at all. ;-)

Really, though, the people I should have thanked and didn't were the dozens of contributors to our netbooks and the Secrets website over the years. We were blessed with so many fantastic collaborators, it was kind of mind-boggling. I'm glad several of you took up our mantle after we decided we were burned out; it does my heart good to know that Ravenloft as we all know and love it survives in this little corner of the web.
Joël of the FoS

And isn't it today the wedding anniversary :Strahd: :gabrielle: of one of the Andrews? Wyatt IIRC?
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Looking back, I think one of the best things we did was offer a respectable creative forum that helped some very talented people step up into the careers they deserved. Jaleigh Johnson and Wes Schneider both made their first contributions to the Book of Storms (so, 14 years ago), and today Johnson's gone on to write a string of novels and F. Wesley Schneider is the Editor-in-Chief at Paizo.

If my lasting legacy is ultimately that of the obscure guy who never quite made it himself but helped shove a "couple 'a talented kids" into the limelight, I'm good with that.
Andrew Cermak
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Cermak »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Were there jokes that were camouflaged in a text and were never picked by the fans? (à la Tew Yssup, or with better taste?)
I don't recall any hidden jokes, exactly (and certainly nothing along Tew Yssup lines; we tried to keep things as "all audiences" as a horror gaming site could reasonably manage).

There were some planned jokes we never got a chance to tell, though. For example, my Kargatane "alter-ego," Marcel Vendark, appeared in the Book of Shadows; no one seemed to notice that he didn't really fit in with the others. Most especially, his background placed him in Martira Bay in Darkon instead of in the bookshop in Vallaki. There was a reason for that.

John had plans for a Kargatane novella that would, in part, chronicle the boys from the bookshop trying to meet up, under orders, with a Kargatane agent in Darkon. Another, parallel story, would feature a truly obnoxious party of adventurer cliches trying to track down and bring down that same Kargatane agent. I was brought on board about the same time John was plotting the novella, and I started working on an alter-ego to continue the Kargatane Bookshop tradition. While chatting with John and Hack online, I mentioned that I was planning on having my alter-ego be a total fraud. The Vallaki Kargatane, while undeniably crazy, were at the very least possessed of genuine occult power; mine was going to be different, a good-natured charlatan, caught up over his head, trying to fake his way through and somehow succeeding.

John really liked the idea, and it got incorporated into his plans for the novella. My alter-ego would actually be one of the adventurers, a thief and con-man. His group would find the Kargatane agent, Marcel Vendark, before the Vallaki boys, and after a massive battle my stand-in would be the last man alive. Immediately after the chaos subsided, the Vallaki boys would storm in, looking for "Marcel Vendark," and to save his own skin my alter-ego would claim that identity as his own. From then on, "Marcel" would be desperately trying to avoid being found out while also desperately trying to steer the Vallaki Kargatane away from all of the despicable things they were so enthusiastically pursuing.

But, since we didn't want to spoil the reveals in advance of the novella, my "alter-ego" write-up instead ended up being the write-up for the ill-fated Martira Bay contact. If the novella plans had worked out, I would have eventually done a write-up for my "real" stand-in.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Mangrum wrote:If my lasting legacy is ultimately that of the obscure guy who never quite made it himself but helped shove a "couple 'a talented kids" into the limelight, I'm good with that.
I would think Carnival alone indicates "making it" in some sense, John. It's still one of the best supplements in the line, if not in the top 20 RPG supplements generally.
Andrew Hackard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Hackard »

There was one in-joke I threw in that I don't think ever quite got figured out. Most of our Kargatane alter egos had names that were anagrams, or close anagrams, of our own names. Mynilar Sannom's, however, was an anagram of someone else's name, and the character writeup reflected that.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I noticed that. I just thought at the time you hadn't realised the anagram tradition. :)