Ravenloft 1E

Discussing all things Ravenloft
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Ravenloft 1E

Post by BedrockBrendan »

So they will be reprinting the 1EAD&D core books. Anyone else planning to use the occasion to run the original Ravenloft Module? Has anyone run a regular Ravenloft campaign using 1E instead of 2E or 3E?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft 1E

Post by HuManBing »

From what I can recall, the 2E version of the adventure (House of Strahd) has relatively few changes from the 1E once you get inside the Castle itself. I can't remember if the gypsy fortune teller session has been preserved or not.

The 3E version (Return to Castle Ravenloft) is very different, however.
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

HuManBing wrote:From what I can recall, the 2E version of the adventure (House of Strahd) has relatively few changes from the 1E once you get inside the Castle itself. I can't remember if the gypsy fortune teller session has been preserved or not.

House of strahd was very similar as I recall as well (but it has been years since I read it). Yeah, the 3E module single handedly made me a non-customer of WOTC. It took out all the things that made the original great and put in a bunch of metagamey stuff. Very much against the spirit of Ravenloft in my opinion.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

BedrockBrendan wrote:So they will be reprinting the 1EAD&D core books. Anyone else planning to use the occasion to run the original Ravenloft Module? Has anyone run a regular Ravenloft campaign using 1E instead of 2E or 3E?
While I played with some Ravenloft in 2e, almost all of our true Ravenloft participation was only in 1e - so I can almost say, 1e is the only system I actually played a Ravenloft campaign within (that's why I'm so unsure on Ravenloft canon things, because its been so long since I was seriously using the setting.) The original Ravenloft adventure was great! Some of the later adventures for higher level back in AD&D 1e were not so good.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Mostly, the 2E House of Strahd replaces several generic 1E monsters with critters unique to Ravenloft, and/or more appropriate to the theme (e.g. gargoyle golems instead of young red dragons). The plot and characters are the same, although it does include an alternate-ending option for DMs who are running it in the Ravenloft setting and want Strahd's imprisonment to continue even after he's been defeated.

If you're running the adventure 1E or 2E, and are used to 3E or 4E, don't forget that energy-draining is a LOT more potent in the old editions. There's no saving throw, and no cure short of a Restoration spell, which can only restore one of the two levels lost to a 1E/2E vampire's attack. Deadly, deadly adventure if you play Strahd with drain-and-run tactics.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

HuManBing wrote:From what I can recall, the 2E version of the adventure (House of Strahd) has relatively few changes from the 1E once you get inside the Castle itself. I can't remember if the gypsy fortune teller session has been preserved or not.

I have three copies of the first Ravenloft module, and two of the second. I also have multiples copies of most of the AD&D 1E hardbacks.

I've given serious thought to running an old school Ravenloft game using the two modules linked.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

BedrockBrendan wrote:So they will be reprinting the 1EAD&D core books.
Ehhh... what?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

alhoon wrote:
BedrockBrendan wrote:So they will be reprinting the 1EAD&D core books.
Ehhh... what?
17 April here in the US, to benefit the Gary Gygax Memorial Fund:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx ... c/02410000

...but then, I still have my original copies of the core rulebooks. :azalin:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would love a reprint of 3.5 books.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:I would love a reprint of 3.5 books.
Those are easy enough to find in decent condition online. Just checking now there's a set of all three for $50 on eBay, which is just slightly more than I paid for them new (not including inflation).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I mean with new art and errata. Perhaps a somewhat better format.
Like they did in 2E back in the 90s.

And no, I can't afford to buy them anyway. I would just like if they were available for collectors or "completionists" that want to have the core D&D books from all editions.
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

It is really sad that most people use 3.5 now. 2e and 1e were freakin' the bomb! :)
Blot
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blot »

tarlyn wrote:It is really sad that most people use 3.5 now. 2e and 1e were freakin' the bomb! :)
I loved the Arthaus product that was produced, but never actually got around to playing 3.5.

I figured that now that 5E is comin out I should really make the effort... but I still find 2E so very elegant.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Wonder what 5E will be like? LOL!
Blot
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blot »

Has anybody retro-fitted the 3.5 stuff for 1st or 2nd?