Ravenloft or Ustalav?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeLeon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft or Ustalav?

Post by DeLeon »

Now that Carrion Crown and Rule of Fear have been out for about a year now, I'm curious what the group here thinks of Ustalav as an alternative to Ravenloft for a horror setting. I want to know because I want to start a horror themed campaign for some friends of mine, and I'm trying to decide which setting to use. I'll be using the Pathfinder rules because that is our preferred rules system, and even though Ustalav seems to be designed to provide the setting that is needed for gothic horror, I still feel that the overall setting is too high fantasy oriented for the kind of atmosphere that is available in a Ravenloft world. Therefore, I'm curious what others here think. How many of the Pathfinder fans here have switched to Ustalav, or have any of you switched and why? :?:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Ravenloft or Ustalav?

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Have you checked out X's (I forget his name...Gah!) Mistfinder conversion here on FoS?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
DeLeon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DeLeon »

ewancummins wrote:Have you checked out X's (I forget his name...Gah!) Mistfinder conversion here on FoS?
Yes, I did. Thanks Ewan. :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

While I like what I've read of Ustalav, and admire it as being a kindred spirit to Ravenloft, the Ravenloft fluff is what I've grown to love. I will definitely adapt and borrow Ustalav stuff I like, but I'm sticking with Ravenloft as my world of choice. That's just me, though. If you want to play in Ustalav instead and adapt Ravenloft stuff to it, sure, why not? Ustalav does tend to lean more toward the fantasy horror than gothic horror, but so do some Ravenloft products and campaigns.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'm working on my own Pathfinder Ravenloft update, but likely focusing less on classes and spells. Just races and general rules.

But one thing to consider is pulling Ustalav out of Golarion and making it a domain. An island of Terror. Something I've also thought about writing about. That way you can use both, or visit one when you need a change of tone.
DeLeon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DeLeon »

Maybe it's just me, but from the Ravenloft products I've read (mostly the Sword & Sorcery/Arthaus material), Ravenloft feels more like the classic Universal or Hammer monster films, whereas Ustalav feels more like a Tim Burton setting, like Sleepy Hollow, etc. It could just be my perception though.
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

If you like more fantasy in your horror Ustalav is your only man, but Ravenloft has much more gothic horror. Ravenloft is my favorite I've got to say and Ustalav is mined for material in my campaign.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

DeLeon wrote:Maybe it's just me, but from the Ravenloft products I've read (mostly the Sword & Sorcery/Arthaus material), Ravenloft feels more like the classic Universal or Hammer monster films, whereas Ustalav feels more like a Tim Burton setting, like Sleepy Hollow, etc. It could just be my perception though.
Try reading some second edition Ravenloft ;)