The Sword Excalibur d20 Revision...

Discussing all roleplaying games
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Sword Excalibur d20 Revision...

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Does anyone happen to know of an official d20 update on the sword of King Arthur? Way back in 2nd Edition there were a couple of versions around but I still have as of yet to see a version that's reasonable in 3e/3.5. Can anyone help me out, especially if you happen to have the information from Relics & Rituals? I'd be much obliged. Thanks!!
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Just posting to say that I have just recently procured a copy of Relics & Rituals: Excalibur, and that I appreciate everyone that took time to look this post over and wanted to lend assistance.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Didn't have the sourcebook and not a fan of Arthur. Sorry! :oops:
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Heh, yeah, that's what I sort of figured with everyone. And yet, I'm kind of surprised that no one here had access to those books, seeing as how Sword & Sorcery put it out, as well as one on Olympus for Greek mythology. I have both of them now, so if anyone has any questions about an Arthurian or Hellenistic campaign and needs some help, please let me know. :)

Also, if you are like me and sort of thought that the Knight's class skills were... lacking, you may find the alternate Knight class an interesting read in R&R: Excalibur. At first level, you get a warhorse, and your horse goes up just like a druid's animal companion does. Pretty nice! (And they get diplomacy as a class skill). :wink:
-Mordentish proverb
elliott20
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by elliott20 »

if you're not too opposed to just using somebody else's interpretation of excalibur, here's what I think of it:

Excalibur

This +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger can only be wielded by someone of the royal bloodline and is of LG alignment. If wielded by someone who does not meet the requirements, the sword bestows two negative levels upon the character which cannot be negated in any fashion other than dropping the sword.

Scabbard gives a DR of 25/+5 and an SR of 25.

In addition to it's holy avenger powers, when drawn it creates a bright sparks as if the spell "Sunburst" was cast by a level 20 caster.

Caladbolg Variant:
The blade wielded by Fergus mac Roich of Irsh mythology. This version of the sword is forged out of adamantite (or the most durable metallic equivalent available in setting) and also has the lightning burst ability. Remove the sunburst ability.
richmier
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: The Sword Excalibur d20 Revision...

Post by richmier »

King Arthur Excalibur sword.
The road to success is always under construction.
pereZScoth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by pereZScoth »

richmier wrote: King Arthur Excalibur sword.
Is that really the Excalibur of King Arthur from the ancient times?

Its awesome, the design its stunning..

I wonder if its for sale?
L.Alexander wrote:King Arthur was one of my heroes - I played with a trash can lid for a knightly shield and my uncle`s cane sword for the Excalibur Swords.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Considering that historians can't agree on whether Arthur even really existed, it's doubtful that we know enough about excalibur (if it existed) to make a factually correct replica. (Sorry to break the news if you thought the Arthurian legend was historical fact. Don't ask about Santa Claus. :) )

That version is for sale, though, if you want one:
http://www.swordsandarmor.com/mall/fant ... alibur.htm
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The design is late medevial sword, not early 6th century...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I like the King Arthur Pendragon RPG for Arthurian/Matter of Britain gaming. I've run several sessions of a game for some guys at school, and they have enjoyed it.

I've seen, but not actually read, the R&R: Excalibur.

As for the historical question of whether there ever was a 'King Arthur', I'm in the camp that says that the figure of 'King Arthur' is based on one or more real Romano-British leaders.

Later legends and literary cycles grew around the historical core, until we end up with fantasy novels and roleplaying games. :)
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:The design is late medevial sword, not early 6th century...

If he was a real person, then I'd expect Arthur's sword to look like a spatha.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)