3ed Converson Guide

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

3ed Converson Guide

Post by Vlad »

I'm more than 10 years too late probably, but beter late than never I'd think.. I was constantly bugged by playing 2ed modules in 3ed D&D, having to find all the monsters in 3ed books (especially with all monsters being divided over several Monster Manauls, Forg. Realms books and other handbooks). I had been thinking about creating an encounter conversion guide, in which I would have a clear picture per module/book what monsters/NPCs I need (not a conversion of each and every 1-2 Ed book, which looks like a bit too much work..) So I began making a guide, giving all references to each and every encounter in all 1st and 2nd ed. books (not only modules, but also other RL material). It got a bit out of hand (having started last November..) and I ended up with having an excel-list of some 5700 lines. I'm in the proces of checking if all entries are correct, so I hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks.. I think it can also be used for other purposes, like having an list of each and every NPS in 1st and 2nd ed.
I'd love to share the file with the FoS, if you want it (but only when it's ready..)

Cheers,
Vlad
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 3ed Converson Guide

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wow, certainly a labor of love! :)

When it's ready, we'd be glad to host it. It also seems like something that might be useful for Mistipedia. It might be nice to sort the excel sheet by module, and then copy all the info onto that module's page on the wiki.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Yes, I think it could be helpful, although I didn't include each and every item or town from RL. I focused only on NPCs and Monsters that could be encountered. But it gives references to all conversions on either individual level (if a certain specific NPC has been converted into 3ed) or on 'general' level (only the race of the monster, or in many cases the reference in the DMG in case of common people (NPC Commoner, Expert etc)). If no conversion is availiable I either mentioned that or chose the next best option (usually in simple cases, like a common skeleton with one addition power). I didn't convert anything myself, I only gave the references to the 3ed books.

Generally my sheet features the module, page number within that number, name, race, HD, domain, three columns with (as mentioned above) individual, general or alternative reference (book, page, name, HD, what kind of reference (full stats, short description, etc)) and in some cases remarks.

Good to hear you want to host it, I'll send it in a couple of weeks.. just busy the final check on typo's, (in)consistencies etc.

Cheers,
Vlad
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Yes, a worthy addition.
The cure for what ails you
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

I underestimated the time needed for checking all lines.. could take a couple of weeks..
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein