Ravenloft cancelled? Time for action! [APRIL FOOLS 2011]

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft cancelled? Time for action!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote:Perhaps links to pranks from earlier years could be posted for newer members to see. Or have they already been removed.
Well, last year was the "avatar swap":
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6997
The actual avatars are stored here. You can't see them right now, due to directory permissions, but I'll fix that sometime soon:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/April1Avatars/

2009 was the year of the server move:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6200
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6197
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6201
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6203

2008 I believe was the early 1990's HTML nightmare re-design, I believe, which was glorious, but is apparently lost to the Mists.

not sure what was before that...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Re: Ravenloft cancelled? Time for action! [APRIL FOOLS 2011

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Sad news is that despite having me trying to explain the concept that this is a joke to Drusilla for the last 24 hours (which resulted in a new record breaking paper dollie chain) she is still set on campaigning and wants to go dressed as Adam (I dread what she's going to do for the mismatched body parts).
Swallow your soul!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

tarlyn wrote:I didn't see any reference to not mention anything, just the fools in one place and the April in another.

Still a good joke!!!!!!!!!!
No worries. Your timely intervention may have spared several too-trusting souls a few grey hairs. :)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Sad news is that despite having me trying to explain the concept that this is a joke to Drusilla for the last 24 hours (which resulted in a new record breaking paper dollie chain) she is still set on campaigning and wants to go dressed as Adam (I dread what she's going to do for the mismatched body parts).

Maybe taking a head and body count of our members might be a good idea, knowing Drusilla :lucas:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Back from 3 days out of town, and glad to see the joke was appreciated! :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

An'd I'm surprised nobody mentioned the joke with the "CEO" 's name, with the link it hid :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Though I knew about the joke and the link, I didn't get the reference in the email address. What's AduCire mean? Is it a French thing?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

du Cire, the wax golem. I thought it was appropriate for the link when you clicked on the email address, but perhaps it was too far fetched :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ah yes... My English-thinking brain automatically split it as Adu Cire, and not A duCire, so I didn't catch it.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Galeros wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Today is April Fool's is it not?
Son of a....

Congratulations...you got me good! :shock:

This is the only joke I have fallen for in years. :mrgreen:

Good Show!
Ehhh... it was quite obvious IMO.

On the other hand, I can't say that a Ravenloft fans costume party near the WotC would be a bad idea, if the costs weren't so high.
Emails? Bleah...
But a costume party would be a blast. I really think that some of the WotC staff would come over and join us for a drink, and exchange jokes.

We should host one such party.

And I think the best AFJ was the one with the hacker servers. I remember I was so anxious that day to see what the Frat would have readied and now I wish I have saved screenshots.

My personal favorite wasn't the mistakes on Ravenloft or something but the skull cursor.

Another good one was when the FoS staged a disagreement in the forums about a netbook saying that one of them didn't want to give them the CD with the only copy or something. There were people placing bets IIRC on which side would "make a consession" before the joke was revealed. I remember that I was trying to fuel the fire but nobody read any posts besides those of the FoS.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Man oh man, so many fluctuations of emotions! First I was saddened while writing a blog post about Ravenloft memories. Then I was excited to find this site! Then I was saddened that it's been so long since anything official came out. Then I was excited to discover shortly after--on this site's intro--that it was announced for 2011! Then I was sad to read this very first forum post saying it was cancelled... I was so distraught...

Then... friggin April Fools. Twelve days later hurts more to be fooled like this as there was no caution dictating what to be caution in believing. Never looked at post dates. Just read and read and was like OH COME ON!

Kuddos to you guys... bastards. :)
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Oh wow... I feel even more FOOLish not even reading the note in the actual FORUM POST TITLE!

Man I think it's time to call an early night for once... go ahead laugh at my expense...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sorry for the rollercoaster, but welcome! (I guess it's time to un-sticky this thread).

Just so you don't get your hopes up, though, while our "protest" was an april fools joke, the cancellation is not. :( see this thread:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=7504
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

crap....
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Just so you don't get your hopes up, though, while our "protest" was an april fools joke, the cancellation is not. :( see this thread:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=7504
The Fraternity's front page still has a cheerful subtitle text saying something about "Ravenloft in 2011" and how it made its save to stop being an "out of print" edition.

Maybe it should be changed?