Dumb question

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ebonshade
Conspirator
Conspirator

Dumb question

Post by Ebonshade »

Clerics of ezra, do they wear armor or not? One of my players noted that some prestigue classes require them to no have armor to use sheild of ezra. The 3rd ed and 3.5 books don't right out say it. Can someone point me to the infamous page xx that says non prestigue clerics of ezra can't use that power while wearing armor?
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Dumb question

Post by The_Confessor »

This weirdness goes back to 2nd edition AD&D. In 2nd Edition, Ezra Clerics could wear metal armor only. In 3rd edition, this got a bit more vague because technically Clerics were proficient in all forms of armor.

However, some prestige classes related to the Church of Ezra limit the cleric to wear either no armor at all, or metal armor only. However, base clerics of Ezra can wear any armor - though most wear metal.

I've never seen a Cleric of Ezra, however, that did not carry a metal shield, armor or none, since this is a symbol of the faith.
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

The 3e Anchorite prestige classes have the Heavy Metal quality, such that anchorites must wear either heavy armor or no armor. They have some handwaving doctrinal explanation for this. ;) Since it's only through the Anchorite prestige classes that you get the Shield of Ezra, iirc, that's probably what your PC has in mind. The anchorite classes are in Van Richten's Arsenal and Heroes of Light.

For non-anchorite-prestige-class Ezran clerics, it may possibly be a doctrinal point, but I couldn't tell you if it is or where it's found.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote: Since it's only through the Anchorite prestige classes that you get the Shield of Ezra, iirc, that's probably what your PC has in mind.
I thought the domain power of the Mists domain was where that Shield of Ezra came from.. not near my books to check.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Nathan of the FoS wrote: Since it's only through the Anchorite prestige classes that you get the Shield of Ezra, iirc, that's probably what your PC has in mind.
I thought the domain power of the Mists domain was where that Shield of Ezra came from.. not near my books to check.
That does sound right, actually, although I'm not near my books to check either.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, I hit the books and sorted it all out.

The "metal armor or none at all" thing goes back to 2nd Edition, Domains of Dread, where Anchorites are introduced for the first time. Those that choose to go armorless show their faith in Ezra's protection. Those that wear armor "garb themselves in steel... setting an example for others." (An example of what is not clear. "You too can wear armor like me!") In 2e, the shield of ezra is a class ability of anchorites achieved at 6th level.

In 3e, the shield of ezra is the Mists domain Granted Power, usable 1/day. No mention that I see of the armor thing in the RCS. Note that Ezra supports 5 different domains, so I suppose it's possible to create a cleric of Ezra who does not have the Mists domain, and hence, no shield of ezra.

There are three Anchorite prestige Classes. The first is Anchorite of the Mists from VRA. Nothing there that affects armor or the SoE, though you must have the Mists domain to take this PrC. Fairly straightforward.

Things get a bit muddier (surprise!) in Heroes of Light. The two PrC's in there (Anchorite Wanderer and Anchorite Inquisitor) both have that "Heavy Metal" restriction that turns off their SoE and Mist Domain spells if they ever wear light or medium armor. (presumably if heavy non-metal armor exists, that would be a no-no too, but it's not clear from the text. All the heavy armor in the PH has metal in it, but who knows what's in the various splatbooks). Thankfully, the text here makes the dogma of the "armor-wearing anchorites" make a little more sense: it's to "demonstrate their zeal to act as protectors and defenders of the faith." Sure, fair enough.

Now the weird part is that neither of these PrC's require you to have the Mists domain. Instead, they grant it to you as a Prestige Domain (in exchange for swapping out an existing domain). Why it couldn't just be a bonus domain like other PrC's I've seen, I don't know. note that this reinforces the possibility of an Ezran cleric without the Mists domain (not sure if that cleric would be called an anchorite or not.) However, even though both of these PrC's grant the Mists domain at 1st level, they both separate out the SoE as a separate ability (while referring you to the RCS for details!). Since both PrC's are limited to a single alignment, they reprint the text of the alignment-appropriate version of the SoE, and the abilities are identical to those in the RCS (RLPH is the same too). But unlike the RCS/RLPH, the PrC versions operate 3/day. Maybe this is a benefit of the PrCs, though if it were me, I would use the word "increased" [to 3/day]. Oddly, the Wanderer gets this enhanced SoE at 1st level, but the Inquisitor doesn't until 3rd level. I would take this to mean that the Inquisitor (if he didn't already have the Mists domain) gets the SoE 1/day at 1st level and increases it to 3/day at 3rd, but it's not at all clear from the text. It's possible that intent is that an Anchorite Inquisitor who doesn't have the Mists domain to begin with doesn't get the SoE at all (just the Mists domain spells) until 3rd level, at which point it shows up at 3/day.

Phew... Any Questions?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
That. And yes, I'm not close to my books but I remember it quite clearly, although I don't remember what the shield for each alignment does.

PS. Anchorite (i.e. Cleric of Ezra) without mists domain is just lame. :( Why would someone play an anchorite without it? What are the other 4 domains?
Last edited by alhoon on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

So the anchorites go for the Heavy Metal Look. :lol: :lol: Seems out of character but whatever. :lol:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Setting the example with armor is probably the example that "The Legions of the Night are coming, protect yourself and be vigilant. This sounds good for LE, LG and LN sects, though I think the TN sect would more than likely view it as unnecessary. I believe Priests of the Lawgiver are also heavily armored, so it may be difficult for people unfamiliar with both faiths to tell them apart, though that shouldn't last long once you start talking to them.

Refresh my memory, but 4E priests are light-armor guys, correct? Armor didn't seem like a big deal to clerics in 2E and 3E, there were very few restrictions to the base class, it depended on specialty priests.

I would think unarmored anchorites would be the exception. The faith is on something of a war footing against the Legions of the Night, which in Ravenloft is a very immediate threat. I would think them different than say certain real-world religions who believe their faith is all the protection they need. In RPGs it is better to carry a big stick, regardless of how softly you speak!
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:PS. Anchorite (i.e. Cleric of Ezra) without mists domain is just lame. :( Why would someone play an anchorite without it? What are the other 4 domains?
Healing, Law, Protection, Destruction. Most likely, it goes by sect:
Mordent/LG: Protection, Mists
Darkon/LE: Destruction, Mists
Borca/LN: Law, Mists
Dementlieu/TN: Healing, Mists

But I didn't see anything that specified that. It might be in one of the "Church of Ezra Revisted" sidebars in the Gaz's. I didn't check. Agreed that it would be lame not to have Mists.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Those that wear armor "garb themselves in steel... setting an example for others." (An example of what is not clear. "You too can wear armor like me!")
Actually the example is "the resolve to face the creatures of the night in open battle." It's like a badge saying they're ready to fight and die for their beliefs.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Those that wear armor "garb themselves in steel... setting an example for others." (An example of what is not clear. "You too can wear armor like me!")
Actually the example is "the resolve to face the creatures of the night in open battle." It's like a badge saying they're ready to fight and die for their beliefs.
Yeah, as I mentioned later, that gets clarified in HoL, but the way it's worded in DoD is a bit vague and funny. Those without armor trust Ezra, those with armor set an example... (that Ezra's protection isn't enough? :wink: )
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Those without armor trust Ezra, those with armor set an example... (that Ezra's protection isn't enough? :wink: )
Well, I guess we know how strong the faith is in those who wear metal armor. :p
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well none of the other 4 domains is as good as mists IMO, especially with that domain power thrown in. A cleric going for destruction/law would actually be a Banite or something and someone going for healing/protection ... well a nice cuddly family/hearth/compassion deity, not Ezra.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Those without armor trust Ezra, those with armor set an example... (that Ezra's protection isn't enough? :wink: )
Possibly they believe Ezra helps those who help themselves?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow