Creating a new Paladin spell.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
sPtJanly
Conspirator
Conspirator

Creating a new Paladin spell.

Post by sPtJanly »

I came up with a new spell for my paladin and I wanted to run it by you guys before I take it to my GM for this weekends run.

Smite Undeath

Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Pal 4
Casting Time: 1 standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: Until next Smite Evil attempt
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

A paladin casts this spell to enhance their Smite Evil ability. They must cast the spell the round before the Smite Evil attempt is made. Normal rules apply for the attack and if it is successful the paladin makes an additional touch attack with all bonuses used in the Smite Evil attack. If the touch is successful then they can channel any or all of the Lay On Hands ability for additional damage to undead. The channeled Lay On Hands, unlike normal damage, is subject to threaten critical damage versus undead at a x2 multiplier.

I know that the lack of savings throw and spell resistance probably stands out, but looking over the PHB paladin description of Lay On Hands it mentions nothing of an allowed save or spell resistance, only a successful touch attack versus undead. Also this a 4th lvl spell that is specifically targeting a type of creature and requires 2 standard actions to take full effect. I think those are enough mitigating circumstances to warrant it. What does everyone think?
I swear Azalin can be killed by the spell Prestidigitation, its all apart of his curse. -Failure
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Creating a new Paladin spell.

Post by brass »

I say allowing you to channel lay on hands through a weapon is fine, but I wouldn't allow such damage to multiply on a crit ( much like sneak attack dice). Maybe move it down to a 3rd level spell if the above changes are made.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Looks kind of weak, actually, to me.

You give up 1 round to cast the spell, then 1 round to use it. In those same two rounds, you could have done a smite evil on the first round and a lay on hand touch attack the second round. Unless I'm missing something, the only benefits are:

- you can stay out of melee range on the first round while you cast, but for a Paladin with lots of hp and armor, that's not really an issue.
- you get to apply the smite attack bonus to the lay on hands
- you might get a crit with the lay on hands (which is a little weird to me, but sure..)

Hardly a 4th level spell, IMHO. Compare to holy sword, for example.

Granted, by 14th level, when the Paladin gets 4th level spells, that can be a massive amount of damage in one hit, (somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100, if he uses all his L.O.H.) but it's a lot of resources to spend to take out a single undead creature (the smite, the spell, 2 standard actions, the lay on hands points). And it might not even take it out. I'm having trouble finding a CR14+ undead quickly in the SRD, but Mohrg's are CR8 and you might not even kill that with this (91hp average).

I would lose the crit clause, extend the duration to 1/round per level (or until discharged) and have the lay on hands hit automatically on the next successful smite. (Might even drop the spell to level 3)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Looks kind of weak, actually, to me.

You give up 1 round to cast the spell, then 1 round to use it. In those same two rounds, you could have done a smite evil on the first round and a lay on hand touch attack the second round. Unless I'm missing something, the only benefits are:
Fair Point.

Maybe as a swift action?
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

I would make it a lower level spell and allow you to use your lay on hands a weapon designated when you cast the spell. Duration 1 minute/level.

2nd level seems about right for that.
sPtJanly
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by sPtJanly »

With all of your suggestions here is my final version that my GM and I agreed on. Thanks for the help.

Smite Undeath

Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Pal 3
Casting Time: 1 Swift Action
Range: Channeled Attack
Target: Creature Attacked
Duration: 1 round/lvl or until discharged
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

A paladin casts this spell to enhance their Smite Evil ability. They may cast the spell the round the Smite Evil attempt is made or hold it as a charge for a number of rounds equal to their level. Normal rules apply for the Smite Evil attack and if successful then they can channel any or all of the Lay On Hands ability for additional damage to undead.
I swear Azalin can be killed by the spell Prestidigitation, its all apart of his curse. -Failure