Zombie ants . . . possibly in a forest near you . . . .

Books, movies, television and everything else
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zombie ants . . . possibly in a forest near you . . . .

Post by cure »

The cure for what ails you
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Zombie ants . . . possibly in a forest near you . . . .

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Kinda creepy. Makes me wonder if something like that could happen to humans.....
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I would suspect that sort of parasitism (neural invasion causing a change in behavior that benefits the parasite) is exponentially more difficult the more complex the host organism's brain is.

One example is a parasite that infects snails. It causes their eyestalks to bulge out and pulsate with colorful stripes, and it also causes them to ignore noontime sunlight and stay on the tops of leaves, when uninfected snails stay out of sight on the bottom. The change in behavior causes the infected snails to be easily visible to predatory birds, which then see their eyestalks pulsating and swoop down to eat them. The parasitic worm then finds its way into the bird's digestive tract where it can reproduce.

A human brain has so many different centers that control behavior, a parasite would have to be very sophisticated in order to cause the human to engage in behavior that reliably benefits the parasite.

This is assuming natural selection and evolution, of course. If you add in intelligent design (curses, evil spells, mad doctors' labs, etc.) then anything could be possible.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of clandestine experimentations aiming to find mind controlling parasites tailored for humans. Not like we haven't been trying hard to find ways to control and manipulate others for ages now.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Look up the dancing plague of Strasbourg as an essentially unexplained and possible, if unlikely, candidate.
The cure for what ails you
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

What better way for a mad scientist to experiment with an unsuspecting village of people???? :twisted:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:A human brain has so many different centers that control behavior, a parasite would have to be very sophisticated in order to cause the human to engage in behavior that reliably benefits the parasite.
It would also require every human's brain to be wired exactly the same way, which is certainly not the case.

Some real-world parasites can and do affect human behavior, but only indirectly, by making you really really hungry (because they're mooching off your half-digested food), hypersensitive to light (because they're blocking your pupillary reflexes), too dizzy to walk well (because they're mucking with your inner ear), etc.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

cure wrote:Look up the dancing plague of Strasbourg as an essentially unexplained and possible, if unlikely, candidate.
Woa, cool, never heard of that event before.

In RL: Revenge of the Richemulot Pied Pipper?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

HuManBing wrote: A human brain has so many different centers that control behavior, a parasite would have to be very sophisticated in order to cause the human to engage in behavior that reliably benefits the parasite.

The most sophisticated parasite of all...IS MAN

Kidding aside, cordyceps fungus is awesome. Check out David Attenborough's video:
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Cordyceps fungus is indeed interesting. One of the Chinese strains of it has been shown to have some beneficial effects on counteracting the detrimental effects of irradiation (at least in mice): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps_ ... s_research
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Is it similar to very primitive form of zergs or I'm playing too much starcraft?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!