Ravenloft is the 2011 Campaign Setting

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Ravenloft is the 2011 Campaign Setting

Post by Pamela »

YES! :D
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft is the 2011 Campaign Setting

Post by Isabella »

Is this from Gencon?
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

It is?!?

Details, woman, details! :wink:
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Tweets on the subject...you are looking for 8:30 AM, Pacific Daylight Time, August 7th, 2010, for those for FROM THE FUTURE!!!1!!!! For whom it is presumably no longer the top tweet.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Quote from the Twitter feed:
Should have said that Ravenloft wil be a campaign setting you can hook into your game AND is its own game (like gamma world for example)
Apparently there will be a boxed set, and you can play Ravenloft just from the boxed set--no need for the 4e books. Or you can just treat it as a 4e D&D campaign setting. (I think that's right.) And it will have rules for playing Creatures of the Night. For all of you who want to be sparkly vampires. :P Or just plain vampires, or ghosts, or...I dunno what else. Wolfweres, maybe. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Quote from the Twitter feed:
Should have said that Ravenloft wil be a campaign setting you can hook into your game AND is its own game (like gamma world for example)
Apparently there will be a boxed set, and you can play Ravenloft just from the boxed set--no need for the 4e books. Or you can just treat it as a 4e D&D campaign setting. (I think that's right.) And it will have rules for playing Creatures of the Night. For all of you who want to be sparkly vampires. :P Or just plain vampires, or ghosts, or...I dunno what else. Wolfweres, maybe. :lucas:
No sparkly! :P

Yeah, sorry everyone, I got carried away and forgot to post a link. I was indeed referring to the D&D twitter link that Nathan posted above; I'd still been hoping for it to come out and finally got it right this year. :D

I'm not quite sure about what they mean about it being stand alone, unless it is how you described it, Nathan - which I think would be quite cool. So...anyone know Ari Marmell well enough to see what he's been working on lately... :twisted:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

I just don't know what to say and what to think about this.

One part of me is happy that the game will have new blood and that they will be some novelty in the setting.

An other part of me fear something like Expedition to castle Ravenloft on a greater scope.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Holy poo, I am so excited!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:I just don't know what to say and what to think about this.

One part of me is happy that the game will have new blood and that they will be some novelty in the setting.

An other part of me fear something like Expedition to castle Ravenloft on a greater scope.
Given everything I've seen of 4th edition so far, I'm thinking it will be more towards the latter than the former. :|

Color me skeptical
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

I will watch this development with cautious interest and eagerness.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Be as skeptical as you want but as long as they're actually bringing Ravenloft back (and not just the concept of Domains of Dread), I'm happy. I didn't use everything in 2e or 3e so I see no reason why I'd suddenly stop tinkering now. There's always something useful and as long as it brings in new fans to keep it alive, I'm very, very happy! :D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I'm happy for 4E fans who will now have a hard box of Ravenloft stuff. I hope that it is fun and useful for them. It had better be good if it is to live up to the high standard set by Jester's 4E pamphlet.

I almost certainly won't buy it, though. I dislike many things about 4E. Indeed, many things that I disliked about 3E were magnified in 4E, and new stuff I don't like was added. :P

I suspect that this new incarnation of Ravenloft will be more like 'World of Darkness' mated with that wretched Van Helsing movie than the old school Ravenloft I love. They might surprise me, but I rather doubt it. :azalin:
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'm much more of a Pathfinder fan than a 4e fan, but they're doing some good stuff. Most of the news and changes/tweaks I'm hearing about DDE are really good. I heartily approve of alot of their changes. It sounds like it's not so much 4.5 (as people are calling it) but 3.9, a step-back from the design.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jester of the FoS wrote:I'm much more of a Pathfinder fan than a 4e fan, but they're doing some good stuff. Most of the news and changes/tweaks I'm hearing about DDE are really good. I heartily approve of alot of their changes. It sounds like it's not so much 4.5 (as people are calling it) but 3.9, a step-back from the design.

That does sound promising. I understand the desire to change things about a game to make it your own. Most DMs do that with settings and often rules. I certainly do. I disliked how radical the designers got with 4E, though. It looked as if they'd thrown the baby out with the bathwater. ;)
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)