Nightmare adventures

Discussing all roleplaying games
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nightmare adventures

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Does anybody know about RPG accessories, of any system, that deals with adventures in nightmares? There are, of course, RL's Nightmare Lands, and Heroes of Horror has a section about it, and I suppose Call of Cthulhu has something about Lovecraft's dreamlands; anything else? I'm looking especially for something the style of Nightmare on Elm Street.
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, here's a good place to start:
http://rpg.geekdo.com/geeksearch.php?ac ... mare&B1=Go
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Nightmare adventures

Post by Lovecraftforever »

Jack the Reaper wrote:Does anybody know about RPG accessories, of any system, that deals with adventures in nightmares? There are, of course, RL's Nightmare Lands, and Heroes of Horror has a section about it, and I suppose Call of Cthulhu has something about Lovecraft's dreamlands; anything else? I'm looking especially for something the style of Nightmare on Elm Street.
Pick up Call Of Cthulhu, any edition. Lots of material on dreams and nightmares. 2ed Ravenloft had some weird rules for dream/nightmare quests but I can't remember what book its in.

I believe (not sure, correct me if I'm wrong) that while dreaming your stats get mixed up. Str becomes int, etc etc.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
d'Ysmaul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by d'Ysmaul »

NWoD Changeling has some very detailed rules for dreaming. It's split between the core book and one of the last three (I think Dancers in the Dusk, but I could be wrong.)
"Ravenloft is a land worth living in. It is a land worth fighting for. Don't surrender it to the night."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

d'Ysmaul wrote:NWoD Changeling has some very detailed rules for dreaming. It's split between the core book and one of the last three (I think Dancers in the Dusk, but I could be wrong.)
NWOD's dreams are an extension of Mage's astral plane, and the Astral Realms supplement for Mage has rules for dreams (not sure how it compares to Changeling; haven't got more than that setting's core book).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Hey fellows! Take a look on this couple of articles that I've found:

http://madavid13.blogspot.com/2009/10/h ... dream.html
http://madavid13.blogspot.com/2009/10/h ... dream.html

What do you think? A real pity nobody have done any official thing like this yet.
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
GrimGent
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by GrimGent »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:NWOD's dreams are an extension of Mage's astral plane, and the Astral Realms supplement for Mage has rules for dreams (not sure how it compares to Changeling; haven't got more than that setting's core book).
Actually, that's only true if you wish to incorporate MtA into your own campaign, what with WoD being a toolbox and all that. Mages and changelings both have their own perspectives on dreamscapes which are equally valid but incomprehensible to each other, as mentioned in Dancers in the Dusk: instead of the Oneiros and such, the fae deal with what they call the Skein, the totality of all dreams past, present and future. The Astral generally sounds like so much mumbo-jumbo to changelings who have no dealings with those realms, but on the other hand they consistently do things with dreams that frankly shouldn't be possible according to mages.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

You might want to check how I handle the idea of adventures in a Dreamscape in my PbP game, the more-or-less official Dave Arneson's Blackmoor memorial campaign:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

In the design notes on the game, I explain pretty much how I set a Dreamscape adventure up without relying too much on expensive books:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/view ... dreamscape

Note: This is not me trying to google-boost my page; I seriously think our approach is workable.
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Nice work Rafe, I reckon I can use some of your advice on my campaigns.

Planning on doing something similar for the Frat anytime soon? Love to take part on another of your games :D
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Le Noir Faineant

Hehe, thanks, I am afraid it will take a while until I can return to the Frat as a DM, but if so, you are certainly on my list (you know, I keep such a thing :D ).

If you are willing to experiment something new, though, I will gladly put you on the waiting list for the LFC. :)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rafael wrote:Hehe, thanks, I am afraid it will take a while until I can return to the Frat as a DM, but if so, you are certainly on my list (you know, I keep such a thing :D ).

If you are willing to experiment something new, though, I will gladly put you on the waiting list for the LFC. :)
Makes me sad that I was too busy to join!

The LFC looks wonderful, epic. Very beautiful layout, cool characters, nice story!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Le Noir Faineant

:D :D :D

Glad you like it! That's especially important to me since I enjoy your own game here so much! :)

You know whenever you want to join us, there will be a place for you! :)

The LFC is a bit more than a "normal" game, though. It's basically what the Frat is doing for RL done for Blackmoor.

I also authored a small booklet on BM already.

Shameless self-plug:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/pdfs/maidentimeline1.pdf
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack of Tears »

There was an excellent game put out some years ago all about Dreamwalking and protecting humanity from the horrors of Nightmare creatures and the like. It was called Shattered Dreams and in fact can be found on ebay for under 10 bucks:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=shatte ... m270.l1313