Clash of the Titans

Books, movies, television and everything else
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Clash of the Titans

Post by steveflam »

So what did everyone think of it, and be honest!

NO spoiler here. I liked the pegasus and the kraken was da bomb! Medusa was too CGI for my liking. sam Worthignton is pretty good as Perseus. Avatar was better.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Haven't seen it, didn't mean to.
But... a Kraken? In Greek Myth? Do they call it that too?!?!
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yes, but they called it that in the original too. If they left out the line "Release the kraken!" in the remake, it would simply not have been Clash of the Titans. :)

It's a bit of a mish-mash of greek myth, not a textbook retelling.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

I thought it was a great movie! A lot better than I expected, to be honest. I'm a huge fan of Liam Neeson, and really only tuned in to see him as Zeus, but I thought the entire supporting cast was exceptional. Only a few complaints:

1. Sam Worthington needed longer hair (the US Marine look worked in Avatar, but I didn't really "buy" him as a greek/roman hero with that same look)

2. As tarlyn said, the CGI could have used some work in parts (i.e. the scorpion and medusa scenes)

3. It was too short! This movie had great plot, characters, cast etc. It should have been at least 2 hours. I wanted the heroes to face more challenges together.

But definitely, this film was such a pleasant surprise. I was expecting the typical action-movie-with-zero-plot-for-teens and was blow away by how exciting and credible the film was. Definitely a must see. I bet its great in 3D, anybody seen?

BTW, special mention to Ralph Finnes as Hades. He was another great surprise in the role. But why weren't the gods wearing togas? What did you guys think of Zeus' armor?
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yes, but they called it that in the original too. If they left out the line "Release the kraken!" in the remake, it would simply not have been Clash of the Titans. :)

It's a bit of a mish-mash of greek myth, not a textbook retelling.
I was not aware it was a remake. I remembered the title and seeing an old film like that many years ago, it may have been that, but it didn't leave any lasting mark in me.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Haven't seen it and probably won't-- I don't want to shell out for the 3D (which is reportedly pretty bad in this film).

This is perhaps the only forum where I haven't seen threads about this film dominated by bad reviews.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Brandi wrote:Haven't seen it and probably won't-- I don't want to shell out for the 3D (which is reportedly pretty bad in this film).
Most likely because it was filmed in 2D and then hastily converted with the latest tech to cash in the success of Avatar. I don't care how sophisticated the tech is, you're not going to get the same quality as if you'd filmed in 3D to begin with.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Brandi wrote:Haven't seen it and probably won't-- I don't want to shell out for the 3D (which is reportedly pretty bad in this film).

This is perhaps the only forum where I haven't seen threads about this film dominated by bad reviews.
I saw it without 3D Brandi! Was still okay ;)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Actually to be honest, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was better than
Clash hehe! I saw it this weekend ;)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

tarlyn wrote:Actually to be honest, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was better than
Clash hehe! I saw it this weekend ;)
I read the plot and it looked extremely silly, the kind of story that makes me walk away in disgust. But then again, I've always revered Greek Mythology, so I'm not the best person to watch reworkings of them.

I accept others may like it, but I'd be very reluctant to go watch that film, I think. Or read the book.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Ail wrote:I was not aware it was a remake. I remembered the title and seeing an old film like that many years ago, it may have been that, but it didn't leave any lasting mark in me.
Honestly, I liked the original movie better, but it was released when I was in grade school (so I might be just a little nostalgic about it). This revised version was still pretty good, but it felt like it focused more on the action than any strong storyline.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Hehe... I just saw it after two months of its release (I had the luck of finding it was still on in a local cinema).

I didn't like it that much, I thought it was too short, omitted much of the original background story and used too much CGI. The gods are just there as props, and the only ones talking are Liam and Ralph.

Frankly I like the original better. I just saw the original on cable and storywise is much much better. And the stop-motion special effects are always a vintage favorite for me. :wink:
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

It wasn't bad. Totally different to the original film (though the nod, or rather slam, to Bobo-the-Owl made me laugh), but not bad. I felt like it was the pilot episode for a series, however. Probably because it was too short.
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by Nerit »

Ail wrote:Haven't seen it, didn't mean to.
There is a Kraken-like monster in Homer's Odyssey, the Scylla.

Also I absolutely do not approve of Olympian gods in full-plate armor >:(.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Re:

Post by Ail »

Nerit wrote:
Ail wrote:Haven't seen it, didn't mean to.
There is a Kraken-like monster in Homer's Odyssey, the Scylla.

Also I absolutely do not approve of Olympian gods in full-plate armor >:(.
Hey, now that was a memory trip. I read abridged versions of Odissey and Aeneid, and although I remember Cila and Caríbdis (Portuguese spellings) from that time I was really under the impression one was a whirlpool and the other craggy rocks. If I ever knew they were monsters, I forgot... years ago.
So, thanks =)