Kartakass: Epilogue

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Kartakass: Epilogue

Post by steveflam »

May 1st, 761 Martira Bay

Finally, the party is done with its vacation and now is back to business. The sister from the order comes to meet them
at the Temple of Ezra in Darkon and tells them again of the mission. There is promise of remuneration whether they
retrieve the Key to the Abyss or not. A note of credit is given to the party for the supplies needed as they will be travelling east for
nearly a week before arriving at the Monastery of the Order. After having bought their supplies, the party spends the better part of the day
finsihing up their impending business in the city.

Van is finished his headband and proud of his work, showing it off to his friends. Cornelius' research is not terminated by far, but he is quite
learned in Lycanthropic Knowledges, especially Werewolves. Lucius and Deari are now engaged. Finally, Deari has the approval of Lucius mother
and the wedding is planned after their return from the Monastery. William has begun his tutelage with the famous Doctor and is learning of the different
types of undead creatures, the last one Liches, before he departs with his friends. This will prove to be important as the party soon finds out at the
Monastery. Delsenora spends her time amongst her new friends, splitting her time between them equally, except for William, whom she respects his privacy
at his particular location. She does try to get closer to Cornelius, but the dwarf tends to be too engrossed in his research! The day passes without incident and
soon it is time for bed.

May 2nd, 761, Martira Bay

As always, the party depart their location early, before the dawn. Delsenora is grumpy, but soon the party is well on their way. This is the first time they
travel without their friend Jacob. He is spending his time in research on the core and teaching the young Vistani, Vassili. After a week of hard travel through
rain and sunless days, they arrive at the outskirts of the place. Hobert acts a warning system. He whines and whimpers and refuses to go farther. Concerned,
Deari speaks with him with the aid of a spell and discovers that the dog senses something unnatural about the place. Of course being a dog, it isn't exactly clear
what he means but Deari trusts his judgement. After discussing it is decided that Delsenora will go ahead and scout out the Monastery. The dark elf moves forward.
Removing a flask from her bag, she drinks the whole thing, disappearing from view! Twenty minutes later she returns, face grim.

"Hobert is right. There's Zombies here. A bakers dozen at least. I didn't go inside. They are at the entrance, and standing guard? I didn't think these
undead were intelligent enough to do that. I've usually battled them and they're mindless with no purpose. It's almost as if they were, well, there for a reason."
They do remember that in Barovia, the Count did control his undead. It is William who speaks up with a nice tidbit of information. "It could be the work of an
undead Wizard as well. I read about them recently. They're called Liches and not easy to destroy. I didn't get that far into me reading to learn that part."

Preparing for the worst, spells and items, the party advances and with the help of Lucius, vanquish the Zombies. They're more difficult than was expected,
however. Del checks the door for surprises and surprisingly finds two, one magical. She disarms the easy one, leaving the other to the spellcasters of
the group. It takes the three of them together to break the seal to open the door. Opening it they pass through. Everyone can feel a deep chill running
through their bodies, almost like a feeling of despair. They spend the better part of the day searching the Monastery, but find no sign of life. Deciding to
rest for the night, watches are done. Nothing occurs but the place is very overwhelmingly overbearing. The second day brings more luck in the basement
of the Monastery, or rather more action.

You all feel it and soon after, walking slowly along the hall of the basement the oppression of the deathly chill is almost too much to bear. The only room
not inspected is before the party. Even before Delsenora moves to open it, it opens by itself!! Before you is a room of around twenty by twenty. A hooded
figure sits at a desk. From beneath it's hood red eyes glare at you. Unfortunately, Van and Cornelius flee in terror at it's sight. Lucius, Deari, William and
Delsenora egg on forward, unsure now as two companions have fled. The hooded person speaks in a ratchy voice that grates on your very soul.
"So, you come here for the key, do you? Very well, take it from me, if you dare!"

A bony hand holds up a gold key, which glows with a blue hue. At the same time the other hand points in the party's direction and a tiny ball of
red emerges from its finger, soon growing and almost before the party can act, a fireball. William and Delsenora are quick enough to act, but not
Lucius or Deari. William dives out of the way but Delsenora choses a different tactic. She turns and dives at both Lucius and Deari, knocking them
out of the way. She takes the brunt of the spell, but fortunately, her magical resistance removes some of the damage. Her cloak is a smouldering ruin
and her whole body smokes! She groans in pain, but is glad she saved the two. William has by now cocked his new pistol and and fires a shot at the
thing, knowing full well what it is but no knowledge how to destroy it. Lucius grabs his mace and is about to advance on it when Del moans up to him
"Use this." She shakily removes a ring from her bag and hands it to the man. It's a ....... ring of ........shooting stars... think about 4 balls of
lighting....
She appears to faint after handing him the ring.

Lucius dons the ring and true to Del's information, 4 balls of lightning emerge and hit the cloaked figure, scorching the clothing. Now you all see
a disgusting skeletal being with mucsle and tissue hanging from its bones. It laughs heartily even if it was hit with the brunt of the balls. Williams first
first shot hits it in the forehead, cracking it slightly. His second shot is even better, breaking its jaw. It stills goes through the motions of laughing. Deari
fires an arrow at it, but it bounces off the thing harmlessly. At Lucius' feet, Delsenora has disappeared from his sight. He curses the brash thief
inwardly but admires her courage for sure. It begins uttering a spell, but it stops in midsentence, red eyes blinking and a loud crack can be heard.
William, Luicus and Deari feel almost overbeared by the aura of the being. Delsenora reappears, eyes glaring at the thing. Her hand is behind the thing,
holding an item. The being falls over the desk, still alive or well, unalive. She grins at the party, holding up a red hued mace, unsteady on her feet.
"Nice mace, huh? My dad used to use it, but I borrowed it when he stopped using it.... cough." Her eyes roll up in their sockets and she falls to
the ground. The being can barely move now, raising it's head and glaring at the party with blurry red eyes. It had definitely miscalculated this party.

Lucius takes action as William covers him and Deari moves forward to get Delsenora. The dark elf is burnt badly, skin bubbling on her back. Smoke still
rises from her body. She is breathing, which brings a sigh of relief from the Ranger. Gently she takes the light elf in her arms and carries her back to William.
The sailor keeps a bead on the thing even as Lucius is at it now. He picks up Del's dropped mace and gripping it tightly in his hand he raises it above his
head. It moves up and down methodically, crushing the being's head completely. The man grabs the key and walks over to the others. They don't bother to
search the room and exit the Monastery. Already the feeling of oppression is diminishing. Soon they meet up with Van and Cornelius. The trek back is long
and arduous. Though Lucius does heal Delsenora, her wounds are still sore and she is out of commission for the voyage back to Martira Bay.

Two weeks after they've left, they return to the Temple of Ezra. Father Dentor receives them and after hearing their tale, realises that they had battled
a Lich. Asking a few important questions, he says nothing but puts away the information for his report to his superiors. The sister is in fact in the city
and soon after, the party meet up with her, less Delsenora who isn't recovering from her wounds at all. The Monk thanks the party for their efforts and
retrieval of the key. Each party member receives a credit note of 3,000 for their efforts. As well, you all feel experienced enough to accomplish better
your skills. A week is spent in Martira Bay recovering from the being. William learns that although you may have defeated the Lich, it is far from
defeated. Another week passes in which Delsenora recovers completely and is back to her usual self. During this time the party decides to
venture to Barovia and in particular, Krezk. This time, Lucius' father pays for the expedition as he finally took his father aside and told him of his
predicament. At first his father was unbelieving, but with the help of his friends Lucius made his father understand.

May 29th, 761 Martira Bay

Financed by Lucius' father, the party departs for Barovia for a second time. This will be a very long voyage. During the trip Lucius and Deari reveal
their intention to marry by March of 762! This relieves the party somewhat of the stress of returning to Barovia. Last time they were lucky they'd
been with Tarlyn, but now they were very much alone and knew that if Strahd found out they were in Barovia there would be hell to pay. The trip
takes nearly four months so it is September 7th upon their arrival. The wall of mists is down as they pass from Nova Vassa into Barovia. You
quickly move from east to west across the land to arrive in Krezk safely. Soon you are at lodgings and Lucius ventures to the Temple of Lathander.
He is turned back, because the High Priest is unavailable at the moment but shall be there in three days time.

You spend three days recouperating from your long trip. Soon it is time and Lucius ventures to the Temple and meets with the High Priest. After
nearly two hours of discussion, the High Priest thanks Lucius for his time and informs him that he will give his decision in two days time. The
priest returns to the Inn unsure and though he appears to be happy on the exterior, inside he is nervous, even dreading the decision of the High Priest.
Two days pass wthout incident and finally it is time to meet with the High Priest. Lucius is early for the meeting and nervous. The High Priest receives him
and after small talk gives his verdict. "It has been decided that you shall be cured of your ailment, Mr Plancturus. I also would like to have this Vassili
come here so he too might be cured. Now, follow me if you would, please."

The man leads Lucius down a hallway then down some stairs. Just as in the diary. Soon they've entered the sacred place, and for twent four hours, Lucius
remains. Only at the end of the twenty four hours does Lucius feel any pain. It feels like he is being ripped in two. Finally, as if he were, well changing
into a lycanthrope, a gaseous from emerges from his body and dissipates into thin air. Lucius knows he is cured, and after all the time he has spent
worrying about his condition, weeps. The High Priest enters and helps up the man. Though cured, he is weak and needs help to get around. Lucius is led to
a room where he can bathe and rest. During his time, the party was sent word that he would be two days before he returned. This only made Deari more nervous
and she couldn't stay in place that whole time, sleeping little. When he did return she couldn't help it but hug him tightly and cry in his shoulder. He tells her he is
now cured and both man and woman hug and cry. Now the effort is put ot get back safely so they can have a wedding and purchase a home in Martira Bay.

The next day Lucius tells the party of the results and they have one loud and drinking party in which the ever reserved dwarf dances on the tables and sings
old dwarf songs! Now the task is to get back home safely for the wedding. The long 4 month trek begins and soon, it is November 15th and Martira Bay is
before you! With a sigh of relief from everyone, you enter the city. Lucius and Deari head for his parents home, while William heads for the safehouse. Van heads to his home to discover his grandfather has died, leaving the mage a book of spells! [5th level spells, 5 of them] Cornelius and Delsenora get rooms at an Inn.

March 17th, 762 Martira Bay
Temple of Ezra
WEDDING DAY!

After much preparation, the Wedding of Lucius and Deari is at hand. A surpirse visit comes from no other than Aggie Farmer, a dear close friend of
Deari's who Jacob helped track down for the occasion. Though nothing is known of her scars, the dark elf presumes from his research she was originally
in Falkovnia at one point, maybe a slave? That matters not now as this is her day! The wedding takes place at the Temple of Ezra, no less. Ceremony quite
beautiful. Jacob, being a priest of the Morninglord presides as the priest. Both Lucius and Deari are magnificent in their attire especiallly Deari. Everyone else in attendance, no less. The old coot Balfour is in attendance, along with Helmut. Vassili is there as well, a year older and having grown quite a bit while the party was gone. Three Weathermays are in attendance as well. One of them, Gennifer, seems to have taken a liking to our favorite sailor and sits next to him, eyes moving
from him to the ceremony to him. Laurie quiet, but smiling and the uncle sits with them, smiling for once and observing Gennifer with a grin. At the back
of the Temple, sits an old man, cane across his knees very observant of the proceedings. A tiny Faerie Dragon rests on the shoulder of one Delsenora
Hun'ana. Father Dentor sits in the Temple with Mr and Mrs Plancturus. All three are smiling and quite happy for Lucius and Deari.

Once the ceremony over, a massive celebration is held at Lucius' parents home. Most everyone gives the happy couple gold, but Jacob gives them the deed
to his home, relating that he is going to be traveling now, with Vassili to Barovia to cure the lad. Then they will wander the lands until they find the Vistani
and see the young man's mother and raunie. The party is well into swing when the dark elf departs with Vassili, not to be seen again for many years by the
party. Turns out Vassili does get cured and in Dementlieu enrolls in University. When he graduates, he becomes the owner of a bookstore. In his spare
time he writes to Lucius and Deari. By then, Hobert has passed on but his name lives on! Lucius and Deari, day for day after their marriage give birth to
a baby boy, naming his Hobert. Two years after that they have a daughter and name her Aggie. I may have forgotten to mention, but you see, Hobert
passed on on the way back from Barovia. A sickness took him, there was nothing that could be done.

During this time, Van soon opens a store, offering to create magical items for a steep price. It soon flourishes as the mage is very good at what he does.
Cornelius, meanwhile becomes a teacher at the University of Martira Bay. He holds that position for many years, in fact. Delsenora still stays in the city,
keeping her contacts and staying close to our favorite dwarf. If only she would grow a beard, then maybe Cornelius would show some interest! William
continues his tutelage under the famed doctor and after a year of study, heads out with George, Laurie and Gennifer. By then both the sailor and the young
woman are romantically involved and within three years are married. They continue their hunting, only stopping for a year so Gennifer raise their first child, a
boy. He's named after the captain of William's fated vessel. Once a year the party reconvenes to commemorate their adventures and dearly departed friends.
That is our tale for now.........................................................
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

First of all, Steve, let me thank you for this epilogue. This is the first time I see a DM actually commit so much to the game as to offer one to himself and his players. It is a very considerate action and I'm very grateful for it :-)

And then, I must say this epilogue is so much more than I expected, with so many surprises too!

I'm very happy with it and I liked it very much. I liked the conclusion for all characters and the way you extended it so many years into the future. Seeing Gennifer and William marry was a very nice surprise too :-). And I of course loved everything you did for Lucius and Deari. Thank you Steve.

Finally, I want also to thank all the others players who made this game so much enjoyable and so much memorable. Casey, Anna, Ewan(?) a big thank you to you. Finally, a special thank you to Dani too who made possible an experience I never before had had in an RPG and allowed for a rich story for my character.

A big thank you to you all and of course I'll keep seeing you around and we may even join in other games later :-D

Alex

P.S.: By the way, is the man with the cane at the back of the Temple Van Richten?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Great Epilogue indeed and full of surprises! I enjoyed it very much!

Thank you all, I had very much fun playing with all of you guys! We were a really nice group!

Just one question what was the mace Del and Lucius used to the lich? It has completely nullify it! :P

The idea of the store was great for Van, totally suits to him! :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:Great Epilogue indeed and full of surprises! I enjoyed it very much!

Thank you all, I had very much fun playing with all of you guys! We were a really nice group!

Just one question what was the mace Del and Lucius used to the lich? It has completely nullify it! :P

The idea of the store was great for Van, totally suits to him! :wink:
I am a big fan of 2nd edition so it is a mace of disruption :P
Jacob actually had one early in his career.

And yes that was VR himself at the back of the Temple with the cane!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rooms at the inn,eh? With connecting doors......

Drow+ dwarf= drorf

Drorfs are, of course, a core race tm in 4E. They will be in PHB6.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

That was some good reading, Steve.

Even though the prospects of the game ever restarting again are slim to none from what I understand, thanks for letting the carrot dangle in front of our eyes a while longer.

This was probably the best pbp I have played to date, and easily the rival of many live games I have played as well. I am very happy to be able to see it go with a smile on my face.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:That was some good reading, Steve.

Even though the prospects of the game ever restarting again are slim to none from what I understand, thanks for letting the carrot dangle in front of our eyes a while longer.

This was probably the best pbp I have played to date, and easily the rival of many live games I have played as well. I am very happy to be able to see it go with a smile on my face.
Don't forget ewan's game! It's pretty up there and his other one as well!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

tarlyn wrote:Don't forget ewan's game! It's pretty up there and his other one as well!
Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying Ewan's game. I can say what I said and mean it as this game has come to a conclusion, whereas Ewan's game has not.

Don't worry Steve, there is still plenty of opportunity left for someone else to steal that title. :wink:
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

As has been said before thank you for the wonderful experience, and for my first pbp game I enjoyed it alot. Everyone did an excelent job in roleplaying and I had a great time.

I hope to roleplay once more with each of you, ( When I have the time again to do such. ) and have enjoyed the conclusion of the game, and the little details that are written here.

BigBadQDaddy, Tarlyn, Ail, Ewancummins, Van, Thank you all...

(Special thanks to Alex for the side roleplaying and the continuing friendship shown! :) )
Last edited by A G Thing on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Drof! Amazing! :P
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:Drof! Amazing! :P
Are you telling me, ewan, that Cornelius was interested in Delsenora? LOL!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:
VAN wrote:Drof! Amazing! :P
Are you telling me, ewan, that Cornelius was interested in Delsenora? LOL!
Hehehe...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

And THIS is the biggest surprise of the game!!! :P
- W H A T ! ? !
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Yeah, it even surprised the DM :-P

lol...
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)