The Fall of House Pancrazio Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Harold follows the others without comment. He frowns as he looks around him, however.
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Goran approves silently as he follows the others while keeping up the rear. He grabs the hankerchief and book that was set back down and quickly stows them in his belt pouch. As the rest of the party enters the westward corridor, he advances to the intersection and holds his position crouched near the wall so he may observe the other three halls.

I saw no boy, perhaps it is mere imagination on the part of the elf. There is more than enough uncertainty in the air already.

The ranger wipes a bit of sweat from his brow with the back of his worn leather glove. He closes his eyes briefly as to not let them betray him in the gloom of the subterranean passages; patiently he begins to listen. (1)

(1) Listen check for anything out of the ordinary, result 16
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

UNDER THE GREEN HOUSE-

As the party advances down the western passage, a soft sobbing sound can be heard. It seems to come from further down the passage.

OUTSIDE PANCRAZIO MANOR-

Agna can tell by Emilio's manner that the old man is very nervous. The majordomo gives Agna another quick smile and than leaves the room.

A few minutes later Agna can see from a window that Emilio has pulled the carriage around and is anxiously checking the already hard worked horses.

Roderigo finds Tuke, wherever the little halfling has gotten off to.

"Tuke! I need to speak with you for a moment. I know that you are Magenta's fool, and her tastes are off color. By that I mean the range of her interests can sometimes be crude or dark. I haven't heard much of your comedy so I am unsure of how...well, "blue" your humor is. I don't want to offend Lord Dilisnya in any way, or any of the guests I am sure he will bring."

Roderigo begins pacing around the room. He is clearly agitated.

"I'm not really sure what I'm asking here. I never had to plan for one of these things. My mother always knew how to handle Lord Dilisnya. The dinners were typically short affairs, with everyone looking very smug and complacent. I recall one dinner when I was aged ten when Uncle Saverio complemented Lord Ivan on his choice of wine. Dilisnya gave him such a malevolent look that Uncle Saverio has gone out of his way ever since to avoid him. I need this dinner to go well. If I am to assume control of this families future and fortunes I need to make the best impression as possible.

"So make your comedy well for the dinner fool, but not too well. I have only a couple of days to make this event go off without a hitch."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Wait a moment," Harold cautions. "Everyone, stop walking."

The old man is visibly wrestling with his impulses, and finally mutters a curse under his breath. "Here," he finally grumbles, stooping to pick up a pebble. "Te autem illumine."

Immediately, the pebble gives off a harsh, white light. "Someone with a better throwing arm than I," Harold growls, "please toss this ahead of us. Let's see what lies beyond the light these torches can provide, shall we?"

(OOC: Casting Light on a pebble. Who wants to throw it?)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Tahl takes the pebble from Harolds hand then throws it down the exact center of the hall way to brighten up as much up front as possible .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

As Tahl throws the pebble down the hall the party can now see some strps leading upwards. The pebble has landed at the base of the first stair. The breeze picks up a little and has a cold sting to it.

Sitting on the second ascending stair is a small boy. He is sitting with his head down and his arms crossed around his knees. He is sobbing.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Beware!" Harold growls. "The child casts no shadow!"

On his shoulder, the owl hoots, then screeches shrilly as she starts to beat her wings.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The loud screech of Harold's owl fills the hallway, bouncing off the walls like a a child's ball.

The little boy looks up at the source of the sound. He is no more than five. His shock of brown hair looks matted and greasy. Suddenly his face twists up in a scowl. The boy opens his mouth unnaturally long, his chin reaching nearly to his navel. The flesh on his face begins to roll and bubble. His eyes turn to milk and roll down his cheeks (1). The sobbing from a moment before is replaced by a Frightful Moan (2).

(1) Fortitude save, entire party
(2) Will save, entire party
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Irving the Meek »

Tuke regards Roderigo with a certain amount of horror in his gaze. Clearly, the man is very much aware of how little control he has over upcoming events. Oh, you poor man. You have no idea how badly I want my next trick to be a vanishing act.

Nevertheless, Tuke puts on a brave face. "Not to worry, sweet master. I know just the sort of thing you have in mind... we can take care of this. I promise." Tuke's eyes dart around the room, looking for some kind of inspiration, until fate - or something darker - causes his eyes to land on a crumpled white sheet on a party table from last night yet to be gathered up. In the shadows of the great room it resembled...

"I know, master! We can hold a seance! I have lots of tricks that'll liven up the night, and Lord Ivan can prove his intelligence and courage to us as he calls down the spirits! I'll be a wonder, I just know it!"
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Roderigo's face curls into a scowl as he hears Tuke's suggestion.

"Tuke, I hardly think that asking Ivan to perform like a fool will help anything. And Seance? I lost a good maid last night and you jest about calling down spirits? My daughter must have employed you for your dark humor. No I think you shall juggle or sing a limerick."

Roderigo abruptly turns away from the halfling and leaves the room.

There is a small table in the room. Upon it is a candle holder with a long white taper unburned and a cloth cover. Tuke can feel sweat beading on his forehead and on his throat. The heat in the room has easily risen ten degrees. Suddenly the candle on the table burns bright and hot, the flame reaching a height of eight inches.

The candle goes out as suddenly as it ignited.
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Tuke swallows hard.

"Fine, fine! I'll juggle! Sweet Ezra, everyone's a critic!"

Without thinking too hard about what he just mouthed off to, Tuke heads out to the orchards to find a bushel of apples to juggle.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

As Tuke grabs the door handle of the room to head to the orchards horrific, burning pain greets him. His palm begins to sizzle from the super hot door handle (1).

(1) 6 fire damage.
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Tuke screams loudly in pain. Pushing away the momentary agony, he gently sings to himself - not the poetry of before, but the lullabye his mother sang to him as a child when he scraped himself. Whatever the song, the Lady hears, and his agony dims.(1) He takes a moment to hum an old trail tune - the one about the goat and the miller's hairy daughter - to buck up his own courage.(2)

He turns and looks at the candle. Fear rises in the back of his throat, but he shoves it down. "If you're looking for respect from a fool, spirit, you've come to the wrong place. Would you like a true seance? Bell, book, candle, and a chance to express all your woes?" A flash of insight races across his mind like a spark in the night. "Isn't Magenta enough of a wild ride for you? Is Phebe too quiet a playmate? I'll make you a deal, spirit - spare me and mine, and I won't just put on a show for Lord Ivan. I'll put on an amusement grand enough to to make the dead cackle with glee."

Cure Light Wounds, 4 damage healed.
Inspire Courage, +1 saves vs. fear.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The room begins to feel a bit cooler. Tuke can feel his heart calm from his tune.
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Tuke nods his head. "Pleased we understand each other, then." He attempts to leave again, palm still stinging and red.