(4e) Want to make an adventure based on THEM: advice wanted

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

(4e) Want to make an adventure based on THEM: advice wanted

Post by Hell_Born »

I own a DVD copy of an old 1954 Warner Brothers horror movie called "THEM!", and while I know that DMs here are more used to Gothic Horror, I figured that this was still the best place to come for advice. While watching it recently, I remembered that the Monster Manual 2 has stats for Giant Ants as the first entry in it, and as this is one of the movies I've seen that I freely admit is able to actually creep me out, I began to wonder: would it be possible to make a horror-themed adventure pitting a band of PCs against a nest of giant ants?

However, if it is possible, I really need advice on how to put it together, hence why I'm here.

I do know that this would work best against low-level PCs, both because that's when they have their most limited resources and are at their most vulnerable, and because the Giant Ants actually statted are low-level (Worker: 1 Minion, Warrior: 2 Skirmisher, Soldier: 3 Soldier, Winged Drone: 4 Skirmisher, Hive Queen: 5 Elite Controller/Leader).

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, here's a hyperlink to a playlist on Youtube of the complete movie: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 69CBC0629D
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I'd suggest looking for any adventures done for marikith and exchanging them for the giant ants. They even have a Queen.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

There's an obscure Basic/Expert/etc D&D monster called the Hivebrood that might work well for a horror-game version of THEM. If you check out www.pandius.com, I think you'll find that the Mystara community have a 3E conversion of the Hivebrood, or maybe a 4E version's been added since I last stopped by their monster pages.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

If you can get the adventurers into the giant ant hive, you're probably golden for the horror part - many PCs won't be able to see in the dark, and lighting a torch would probably attract a lot of unwelcome attention.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."