TRUE BLOOD on HBO

Books, movies, television and everything else
MadStepDad
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

TRUE BLOOD on HBO

Post by MadStepDad »

Any takers? Season Two started a few weeks ago. I'm curious to know your thoughts. TWILIGHT gets a bad rap from the hardcore set, and - to me at least - True Blood is the grown up version of that movie. Boobs, blood, you know the drill, it's HBO.

I kind of like the series, even though I think it's VERY high-fantasy and overly dramatic at times. But it's like a live game of Urban Arcana or something (vampires? lycanthropes? succubus demons? check, check and (seemingly) check again).

Your thoughts?
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4mBjj_yt4&feature=youtu.be

Conjunction
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/19/grand-conjunction

"BCCW" by MSD
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/33/broken-city-championship-wrestling-madstepdad
Ornum
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Ornum »

I watch it with the wife, as she likes it better than Twilight. I like it enough, I guess. She really likes the book series that it's based on. The show differs from the books, though. Lafayette was killed in the books (it was him in the car and not the fake exorcism lady) is the one big change. Oh, and one character was completely cut out of the books because the show's creators felt it was too big of a stretch, even for a vampire show. His name is Bubba and he's an almost mindless vampire. Yeah, he's actually Elvis and he was turned too late after he died (he was brain dead too long for him to come back fully).

Next episode has the minotaur-like thing that chases Sookie.

And succubus. I should have thought of that after the events in the bar. I've been trying to figure that one out.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I watch it, though these days it's mostly to see how much further they're removing it from the novels. Granted the studio has full rights to make changes to fit the format, they've pretty much reversed what some of the characters are in the Southern Vampire Mysteries (AKA - Sookie Stackhouse series) by Charlaine Harris.

Oh, that's not a Succubus, she's a Maenad, heh. It's revealled early on in the second book (Living Dead in Dallas) where the series is presently. I think it's mentioed around the time Sookie is healed after the attack.

Tara has had massive alterations, form owning a up scale boutique to a drug taking, heavy drinking neverdowell (and she's also white in the books). Jason, well unless they alter his character again there will be massive plot issues to come. Since Katrina has already happened the plots for books 5 through 8 will need reconstructing for the series.

I'm wondering how they're going to handle the other supernatural characters that will be appearing over time, particularly a few that appear very soon.

And yes, Lafayette should be dead now dammit, not spent the last few weeks chained up in Eric (the Vikings') cellar :P

I wouldn;t call the show high fantasy though, it's to dark and gritty.
Swallow your soul!