The Fall of House Pancrazio Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

Magenta's expression is nothing new to Agna -- she has seen other Pancrazio consider her in that same way before. Each time, something in her quails. Now what? But what follows is utterly unexpected.

As Magenta's hands slide caressingly over her, Agna can barely contain her revulsion. It is an ugliness that has no name, only the feeling of snakes crawling over her bare skin. Stop this, stop this! She wants to scream, but Magenta's words stifle her voice in her throat. Even if someone heard, who would care, who would intervene? Cold envelops her, but shivering might only provoke Magenta further.

With each name in Magenta's litany, Agna feels herself shrinking, growing lower, darker, dirtier. Magenta didn't mention Goran -- perhaps she doesn't know he's here, she must not have recognized him with the group. Agna feels slender relief, a hope that she has not been utterly cut off. It matters little, though.

Magenta hurls her threat and departs. Agna leans against the big table, her heart shivering under her sternum. The breakfast she has eaten earlier threatens to climb back up her throat. On rubbery legs, she makes her way to the back door, where she braces against the doorjamb and stares at the sunlight dappling the leaves, listening to birdsong and insect hum, until the feeling of Magenta's hands fades. Seduce them? I've never even kissed a boy. It would be ridiculous, but Gianna and Magenta measure men only to conquer and women only as threats.

Mechanically, Agna puts together a breakfast tray for Magenta. Just before leaving the kitchen, she picks up the cap from the rocking chair and ties it on. She leaves without bothering to check her appearance. When the cap is on, she doesn't want to know how she looks; it makes her feel quite ugly enough.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

As Agna prepares to leave the kitchen she sees a familiar face. It is Emilio. The expression he wears is one of sympathy.

"Oh poor girl. You surely didn't deserve that. I fear that Master Roderigo's daughter is going to live here in the Manor longer than I'd hoped. I detested her as a child and womanhood has only given her new weapons to wield."

Always fatherly to Agna, Emilio steps forward and puts a hand on her shoulder.

"With Mistress Luisa gone I also fear that some of the baser needs of these petty nobles will start to rear their hydra like heads. Here child take this,"

Emilio reaches into his pocket and removes a silver heart shaped locket. The small necklace had a blueish glow to it that was fading.

"I've had this since my beloved Helen...that story isn't for now, but this locket, this,"

He stares at the necklace lovingly, tears welling up in his aged eyes, then he puts the locket around Agna's throat.

"It will protect you from those that would hurt you. When it glows child, Somebody or some thing near you is filled with hate and malice and wishes you harm."

Emilio turns, tears now upon his cheek, and leaves the kitchen through the rear entrance moving outside toward the kennel.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Lothario Enzo appears startled by Harold's Owl, but then straightens himself up.

"Ahem. Well, may I enter? The business I wish to discuss would be better had away from public ears."

Harold notices that Enzo comes no closer than the doorway. Indeed the man still appears shaken by the appearance of the owl and scans the street nervously. With his free hand he shields his eyes from the sun.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"If privacy is your concern, milord, perhaps we would be best advised to talk on the road," Harold suggests. "My house has thin walls, and we can not be certain who would listen through them if we sit inside, behind drawn curtains. If you have your horse here, you can accompany me to the Pancrazio estate. The ride should leave us plenty of time to chat."

'What do you think of him, my Mouser?' Harold thinks to his owl as he starts to close the door. 'Is there something ... wrong?'
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Julian, Tahl, Tristan, Tuke, and Goran arrive outside the meager building that serves as Von Ziyden's church of Ezra. Four windows adorn the facade, the two higher windows stained glass in the Image of the goddess. A chipped alabaster statue of Ezra that looks uncannily like Ivanna Boritsi stands in front of the church, a silent sentinel.

The priest, Calder Bioryer, is also out front of the church. The cleric is pulling weeds from around the building, a serene peaceful look upon his face.

Seeing the approaching group the priest stands and gives them an inviting wave.

"Hello there Lord Pancrazio. Have you all come to share your grief of Luisia's passing? I assure you, I have a shoulder and ear for all of you."

The priest is all smiles as he approaches the party.
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Irving the Meek »

Tuke blinks at the priest's insincere greeting. He can still vividly recall Luisia's animate corpse clutching the cook, ripping into her shoulder, tearing off her ear... I have an ear and a shoulder for you... Curse my overactive imagination. Could you possibly come up with something more wildly inappropriate?

He glances up at the statue of Ivanna Boritsi, improbably dressed as the martyr Ezra. Never mind. Someone already did.

Tuke looks down at Calder with a mournful look on his face, every inch the sad little fool. He clutches Tristan's coat piteously. Never hurts to let him see what he wants to see.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

In VON ZIYDEN-

Other than a pungent smell of cabble weed and brown liquor, Mouser notices nothing out of the ordinary about Lothario Enzo.

"That should be fine, the sun should do my skin good, though my eyes are a bit shy this morning. The drink in the Goat and Whistle tavern is strong indeed. The finest Brim Bubbly I have had in years, though I admit I enjoyed it too much last night."

Enzo gives Harold a wide berth as the nobleman walks back into the street, his hand again acting as a visor from the morning.

"I'll be blunt Tutor, I have been told that the invalid aunt of Roderigo, the so called mute Phebe, has been diagnosed by the clerics as having a terminal disease. One that not even Ezra or the Lightbringer can heal. While i suspect this is a false rumor, it nonetheless shows me and my family the lack of faith the locals have in their lords the Pancrazio's.

"In hushed tones the people whisper more foul and scandalous things about that house. Even you must know that Roderigo's daughter is wanton and a murderess. She hails from my hometown of Sturben and the only reason she was not imprisoned following her husbands death is that Luisa pulled strings, both political and purse. And then she dies. How coincidental...

"My sources also tell me that the elder Saverio is due back at the manor soon from his arcane studies in Lamordia, and plans to take complete control of the families fortune. I tell you this so that you know that your future fortunes are uncertain with them. However, if you were to throw in with the Enzo family, we will make sure that if their house somehow falls, that you do not go to the gutters with them.

"All you have to do is find out if the rumors of the Pancrazio fortune are true. Do they really have more wealth then the king of Darkon? Or as I suspect, have they only been coasting on coppers?" (1)

Lothario Enzo scans the street nervously looking for eves droppers.

(1) Sense Motive check is permitted.
Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

Agna freezes when she sees Emilio, and an ugly flush streaks across her cheeks and ears. Dear Ezra, what did he see, what will he say? His clear sympathy dispels any worry that he might suggest she bear some blame for it, and she sags slightly with relief. Reflexively, she touches the tie at her throat to assure herself her dress is closed; the very thought of what he might have seen Magenta at makes her shudder again, this time with embarrassment.

Kind touch and kind words are like balm. Agna widens her eyes and stares fixedly at the floor for a moment, struggling to dispel the tears that want to rise. For a moment she wishes she was a little girl again who could simply throw herself into his arms and cry until the tears ran dry.

At first, the locket enchants her. She has never been permitted jewelry, and there is no denying what a pretty little piece it is. Then as Emilio continues, she realizes what the locket means to him and she is aghast with worry. It is clearly an heirloom to him and surely too valuable for her to wear, never mind what protection it offers. She tries to protest, "Oh, no, sir -- I mean, thank you, but it's too special, I couldn't possibly--"

As Emilio departs, apparently not hearing her, Agna makes a frustrated sound. Her instinct tells her to go after him, but survival and obedience insist that she deliver breakfast to Magenta, if for no other reason than to stave off another round with her. Fine, then, put out the breakfast and then back to find Emilio as quick as possible. She quickly tucks the locket under her dress for safe-keeping. The metal feels cool against her skin. I don't know you yet, Helen, but thank you.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Upstairs in the manor-

Magenta is lying lazily upon a red velvet chaise lounge in her dressing room as Agna enters with her breakfast. Magenta still wears the white cloth gloves she caressed The outside of Agna's dress with, but little else.

"I wish to look plain when I go to town today. What would you wear? You know nothing of seduction I am sure. Pick something out."

Magenta waves a gloved hand towards the large wardrobe filled with dresses. Many were valuable beyond Agna's comprehension, some were older than Agna herself. (1)

"The man I wish to bed tonight believes me a bad woman...can you imagine?" Magenta lets out a wicked chuckle. "I need to lower his defenses before I lower my dress. Forcing my sex upon him will not work...I need the subtle charm of innocence."

Agna's skin crawls as Magenta speaks. Placing a reflexive hand to the locket around her neck, Agna is relieved to see there is no glow.

"Pleeeaase don't tell me this is what passes for food in this house. Where is that other cook? The ugly one? Hurry with that dress I'm getting cold."

Outside the church of Ezra-

Calder Bioryer approaches Julian hand outstretched.

"It is good to see you Master Julian. i did not see you at the funeral. A shame, the service was wonderful. Lord Ivan Dilysnia even made an appearance. Your grandmother was a beloved woman indeed. Are you handling your grief well child of Ezra?'

Looking to the others, Calder's smile widens.

"Please come inside, share with me your grief. Let me care for you as you shall someday care for me." (2)

(1) Spot check
(2) Sense Motive check (optional)

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"For your eyes, milord, as well as the rest of you, I would recommend drinking plenty of water," Harold says. "Alcoholic beverages dehydrate the body, leading to much of your discomfort on the next day."

The teacher mulls over what the gross nobleman has said, then nods. "I might, in the course of my duties, hear a little something about the family's finances. However ... I would set an additional condition before such trifles of knowledge might spill from my lips."

Harold gives Lothario a flat look. "Milady Phebe must be part of this offer of succor you make me. I would not leave her to fall by the wayside, she is ... very innocent. And I did accept the task of being her tutor. Most of the other Pancrazios are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, as you have said."

(OOC: Sense Motive check: 21. Who'd believe it, a natural 20! ^^)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan nods politely to the priest and waits for Julian to say something

While he waits, still sitting in the saddle, Tristan looks over the church and the grounds. He doesn't speak, but just takes it all in with his eyes.

These Borcans and their churches! Such a lot of wealth used to pretty up a meeting house, it doesn't figure. Why, you'd think they'd spend more of it on their farms, given the sorry state of cultivation in this region. Well, it's not my place to say these things aloud. I might offend Julian, who seems like a decent enough fellow.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

JMaytr wrote:
Outside the church of Ezra-

Calder Bioryer approaches Julian hand outstretched.

"It is good to see you Master Julian. i did not see you at the funeral. A shame, the service was wonderful. Lord Ivan Dilysnia even made an appearance. Your grandmother was a beloved woman indeed. Are you handling your grief well child of Ezra?'

Looking to the others, Calder's smile widens.

"Please come inside, share with me your grief. Let me care for you as you shall someday care for me." (2)

(1) Spot check
(2) Sense Motive check (optional)

Julian takes Calder's hands and returns the smile "Greetings Brother Calder, I am handling my grief well thank you. We would love to come in speak Brother, however I am afraid there is some pressing matters which me must attend to. You see apparently my Great Aunt Luisa returned from the grave last night. I need to see her grave to confirm whether or not it has been disturbed." Julian says to Calder.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The look the cleric gives Julian is one of horror.

"By the gods....I know you to be a champion of our faith so I would not dispute your claim. This is terrible...what cause would make that dear woman leave her grave. Tell e what you can of this sir Julian. How was the undead put back to rest? Are you sure it is destroyed?"

The cleric paces back and forth a moment, fear slowly claiming his reason.

"Of course, of course! we must make haste to the graveyard at once. I shall get my keys and some blessed waters."

The cleric rushes into the church returning mere moments later with three vials of water and a large holy book of the faith.
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Can I make a Knowledge Religion Check to know how long it would take for a corpse to rot my result is a 16
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

(Mike, see the OOC Thread)