The great universities of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The great universities of Ravenloft

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Which universities and other assorted centers of learning worthy of note are there in the Demiplane of Dread, all told? What curriculae are they each famous for, and which scholarly titles do they grant to their alumni and staff? Has anyone ever compiled a list of this subject?
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Actually I was working on one. It's in a notebook somewhere in my room, but it's been months since I've seen it. I was thinking of proposing an article on adding a Nova Vaasan military-flavored academy and a few others to the Core.

'Academic' Domains include all of the Mordentish-speaking Domains, Hazlan, most of Darkon, Lamordia, Falkovnia, Dominia, Pardon and most of the Nocturnal Sea(With the sizable exception of Velchor.). Other Domains are too close to the dark ages to be considered possessed of proper schooling; Rokushuma is set in a period of civil strife in Japan not unlike Europe's Dark Ages, though it might once have had proper academies or schooling systems.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

I think Shri Raji might have had one dedicated to Tvashtri, I can't recall clearly if that was a game specific thing we made up, though.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

nope, the Great University of Tvashti is canon. (From RLMCIII, according to the kargatane catalogue).

Other canon ones off the top of my head University of Port-a-Lucine, University of Liffe, the Brautslava Institute, and the late University of Il Aluk.

Previous thread on the subject here:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=3448
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:'Academic' Domains include all of the Mordentish-speaking Domains, Hazlan, most of Darkon, Lamordia, Falkovnia, Dominia, Pardon and most of the Nocturnal Sea (with the sizable exception of Velchor.).
I'd take Dominia and Nebligtode off that list. Dominia doesn't have any native population, so the only education there would be on-the-job medical training which Heinfroth's assistants receive. Likewise, while Meredoth himself is well-educated, the Grabenites are simple rustics with no time to squander on "book learning".

Ghastria, like Dominia, has some well-educated inhabitants. However, its resident population is so tiny that it couldn't possibly support a college, so people from East Riding who want their kids educated probably send them to school in Dementlieu or Lamordia.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

DocBeard wrote:'Academic' Domains include all of the Mordentish-speaking Domains, Hazlan, most of Darkon, Lamordia, Falkovnia, Dominia, Pardon and most of the Nocturnal Sea (with the sizable exception of Velchor.).
Also remove Verbrek, which is technically a (Low) Mordentish-speaking domain. They outright distrust so-called "education" and "book learning."
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

If the Kantora college is so poorly thought of ... that suggests all sorts of nifty little possibilities.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I'm quite certain that Richemulot had an Academy of Sciences (or the French-named version thereof).

Likewise, the Red Academy of Hazlan is the only dedicated mage's college in the Demiplane.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

You're forgetting the Radiant Tower in Falkovnia. A military college is still a college, so a military magical academy also ought to count.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

That's why I said 'educated' instead of 'possessing a university', though I did indeed forget about Verbrek, which has an attitude towards learning much more in line with the Balok speaking domains.

Honestly I dunno if Lamordia is centralized enough to support its own university. They probably go to Lucine or have sort of a scientific master and apprentice sort of deal.

I'm surprised that Darkon has yet to build a new center of learning, honestly. How can Azalin stand Hazlik and Drakov's domains being considered better educated than his?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Darkon's still got the University of Karg. With a significant fraction of the urban population killed in the Requiem and Shrouded Years, Darkon may not actually have enough students around to need a new university.
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

Doesn't Richemulot also have a finishing school for girls as well?
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

After reading this thread, I remembered stumbling across a mention of a questionably-cannon University that I wanted to use in my home game... took me a bit of digging, but I found it again

From the Mordent Cartographic Society's Lamordia page:
Leidenheim, appeared in the novel "Mordenheim" as the town where Victor Mordenheim started his carreer.
While it was the epitome of science, and supported a lot of highstanding scientists, it's university and hospital now lie almost abandoned - thus depriving doctor Mordenheim from the peers whose respect he would so gladly gain, while still reminding him from his past.
Leidenheim is surrounded by the marsh of the Musarde Delta, which originated when Lamordia was drawn into Ravenloft. Most of it's inhabitants suffer from fever attracted from these marshes. There is a cure for this illness, but since no medical expertise (or money for training) is available to procure it, all that can be done is to care for the sick.
Leidenheim is also mentioned in the updated version of the Guide to Ghosts in van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium II.
Likely the University of Leidenheim still functions, though it's fallen from cutting edge to 'that place where you send your kids if you're not willing to spend the money'. Loss of prestige, cutting edge research, many abandoned or decaying annexes and dormitories. Could prove interesting ;)
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Previous thread on the subject here:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=3448
That thread has a very thourough list of Universities of the Core.