2009 Remakes - Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, and More!

Books, movies, television and everything else
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Quarantine was a remake? What of? Not that I've seen it, and from the sounds of this post I'm not missing much.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Apparently, it was based on a much better Spanish film called REC, that came out the previous year.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Wasn't G-Force a cartoon in the 70's or 80's called Battle of the Planets?
It was originally G-Force, Battle of the Planets was the spinoff/sequel. However, it was all drawn from about 4 different animes, lol.
Not quite, Wiccy. Battle of the Planets was the first attempt at dubbing Japanese animated TV show Gatchaman. They edited out a lot of "objectionable content" (a transgered villain, references to human death, some of the more bloody violence, torture etc.) and wound up with a number of episodes left undubbed.

The people who had bought the rights for Gatchaman eventually sold them to TBS who redubbed the whole series and reinstated some of the original material (but not the whole transgendered villain thing... not really anyhow) under the name G-Force.

The robotic companion/narrator was an American addition which they thought would help in epxlaining what happened to all the cannon fodder green guys ("They're androids!").
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

I know this is a few months late, but seeing the thread again reminded me. The new version of Friday 13th stunk, IMO. It became just the steriotypical no-plot gorefest, the original was much, much better.

The most annoying thing was that a number of people leaving the theater (mainly 13-14yr olds) were saying what a great film this was. Many of these people probably haven't even seen the original, which is sad. :(

BTW were there any details of the remake/reboot of Universal's Dracula? Has this project officially been canned?

EDIT: Just found some info on whatever happened to the Dracula project. According to Rotton Tomatos.com, the project was originally supposed to come out in 2006, seems to have been shelved for a couple of years and is starting up again this year. The original director and script (which sounded pretty good actually) have been replaced by an entirely new script and new director, with the plot line involving Jack the Ripper and the Bloody Countess Elizabeth Bathory. Shesh. :roll:

This coincides with the release of a sequel to the Original novel, called "Dracula: The Un-dead" which is written by a descent of Stoker and endorsed by the Stoker family. Here's the website:
http://www.draculatheun-dead.com/

See the thread about it here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=6251
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Zettaijin wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Wasn't G-Force a cartoon in the 70's or 80's called Battle of the Planets?
It was originally G-Force, Battle of the Planets was the spinoff/sequel. However, it was all drawn from about 4 different animes, lol.
Not quite, Wiccy. Battle of the Planets was the first attempt at dubbing Japanese animated TV show Gatchaman. They edited out a lot of "objectionable content" (a transgered villain, references to human death, some of the more bloody violence, torture etc.) and wound up with a number of episodes left undubbed.

The people who had bought the rights for Gatchaman eventually sold them to TBS who redubbed the whole series and reinstated some of the original material (but not the whole transgendered villain thing... not really anyhow) under the name G-Force.

The robotic companion/narrator was an American addition which they thought would help in epxlaining what happened to all the cannon fodder green guys ("They're androids!").
I have all of Science Ninja Team gatchaman on dvd from Japan. it cost me a arm and a leg, but I got it, lol. As for the villain, it was a SHE in Gatchaman, it was changed to a transgendered in the 1990's reboot/homage. 2 of the scacecraft viewed in G-Force were taken from Mazinger Z (without seeing Mazinger again I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones though) and a scene was lifted from a Osamu Tezuka movie.

Oh, and there are also tumours that Hollywood are remaking Laputa (AKA - Castle in the Sky) which I really hope doesn't turn out to be true...

As for Fri 13th, I did see it when it came out and thought it was a hundred times better than I thought it would be, but it was to condenced and the best 2 parts of the original series (the first 2 movies) were glossed over in the first 20 minutes. A shame really seeing how I was hoping for more of the plot. Perhaps this was one movie Rob Zombie might have succeeding in making good (I'm not a fan of any of his movies despite having always loved his music, lol).
Swallow your soul!