SPAM Bots Getting Worse

Discussing all things Ravenloft
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

SPAM Bots Getting Worse

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I'm not versed in phb, but I know there's a simple countermeasure that thwarts bots: the random image. If a string of random numbers and letters given as an image aren't put in an appropriate field at account creation, the account won't be approved. It may be time to implement such a measure.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

AFAIK, we already do that :)

A cool change to the board (if we can make it) would be to ask a simple RL question like "who is the darklord of Darkon?", that would keep these bots/spammers out...

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Indeed, the board already does that, but the captchas generated are relatively simple ones. I think newer versions of phpbb offer better ones. One of the things I intend to look into.

And I don't think we want to include RL specific challenge questions because:
a) it'd be really hard to implement
and
b) it would turn away the newbs coming here for basic info
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

It can be a simple question like:

How many days in a week?
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

So long as you use the captchas only for new account creation and not every time someone does a post I'm all for it.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Troile wrote:It can be a simple question like:

How many days in a week?
Sure, but I'd prefer a question to eliminate humans spammers too. I suspect many are.

That is why I was thinking of a simple question related to Ravenloft. Something 99% would know, or could find easily on the web.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

We can probably come up with a question that's basic enough for anyone who might come here to answer. I agree that it should require at least a trace of Ravenloft foreknowledge, if it's to screen out the jerks.

"What is the name of Strahd's castle?" would be better than an Azalin question, IMO, as even newbies who've only read EtCR, or old-timers who fondly recall how their PCs got slaughtered in I6, will get that one right. Plus, it's a question even a character within the setting could answer -- practically every adventurer in the Core will have heard that Barovia's ruler lives in a big spooky castle called Ravenloft -- so it wouldn't give away the existence of darklords to newbie players whose DMs are keeping them in the dark about the setting's secrets.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

before we get carried away looking for the perfect question (although Rotipher may have nailed it) remember problem "a" above. :)

phpbb doesn't have this Q&A challenge capability and I don't know if I've got the skillz(tm) to hack it to do so. I'll look into upgrading and see if it'll buy us any spam protection.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, you guys have to be more careful... You go suggesting I look into something, and if you accidentally intrigue me, off I go and I won't stop until it's done. :)

I found a phpbb MOD that lets me replace the default captcha with one from www.reCAPTCHA.net , which has a fascinating technique for making really hard to defeat captchas, while doing some good for the world as a side effect. The mod was blissfully easy to install, and I tested it out and it seems to work well.

Sorry, fellow FoS Brothers and Sister, our favorite pastime of spammer banning may be a thing of the past. Let's hope.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

That is absolutely brilliant.

It's like a renewable energy source, only you can only use it for digitizing books. Now what else can we apply the endless quantity of spam for.... hrm....
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

well, 10 days with the new captcha up, and not a single spammer has been reported. Considering our previous rate of several a day, I call that success. I can officially say that recaptcha.net rocks.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Awesome... Good job Gonzoron of the FoS!!! Obviously you have earned the title... :D
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."