Build me a Bad Guy for Night of the Walking Dead

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Build me a Bad Guy for Night of the Walking Dead

Post by Quinntonia »

So I thought that I would make a separate topic for just this, though most of my conversation about this ongoing campaign is nested on the Grand Conjunction Problems Thread.
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=9091

So basically they are about to have their encounter with the "Masked Madman" and they are waaaay to high level for how it is now.

Now, they have already encountered him once, briefly, and I had to give him like ~60 HPs, the baility to jump onto the rooftops and running speed at twice theirs just to make it viable that he got away. Bastards still crit-shot him for 30 points as he was getting away.

So this is a group of six that range in level from 6-9. Make up is a Rogue, Knight-like fighter, Druid, Gnomish Mage, Lamordian Firearms Expert Fighter (muskets and pistols and rapiers, oh my), and finally a dual-weapon wielding cleric.

I am converting for 3.5, so I would need to have mechanics for that.

The problem is, is that I am not terribly good at optimising characters, I am so much more a storyline specific role-player when I play rather than DM that now when faced with the prospect of making a human bad guy with some class levels, I am finding myself stymied. Or at least, I am not sure how to begin.

I'm thinking rogue, maybe assassin prestige class, make him absurdly high level (12? 13? more?) and decking him out with ridiculous amounts of magical items. He also now probably has to fight with either two daggers or a dagger and short-sword. I can also give him a small retinue of ghouls, so maybe souping them up would be helpful?

I don't know, please help.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Build me a Bad Guy for Night of the Walking Dead

Post by Skyrock »

It's not too bad if the Masked Madman gets wiped out quickly - he is just a lonesome mini-boss, and the meat of the module is the zombie lord.

That being said, if you want him to become actually fearsome, henchmen are a must. 3.5 rogues need regular sneak attack damage to stay competitive, and without allies that help them to flank they fare terrible.

The major concern for melee rogues is their squishiness. Suffering from mediocre AC and HP is a problem, especially when you are obviously meant to be the BBEG of the encounter the PCs will focus on. Bracers and means of quick self-healing are a must-have - maybe regeneration / fast healing?
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I can type up more helpful stuff later, but here's a few options for getting some of your things in there.

Boots of Striding and Springing for speed and that height jump to get to roofs you used.

Take the "Quick" character trait (kind of like minor feats with a drawback built into them to balance them out) from Dragonlance. +10 ft movement at -1 hp per character level. You can always blow one of his feats on the feat that gives you +1 hp per level (brain is blanking at the moment) to negate that penalty.

There was an entire dragon magazine article full of sneak attack related feats that were pretty good. I'd need to look up which magazine it was in though. Those tended to be pretty awesome. There were ones for using both weapons on attacks of opportunity for dual wielders, etc.

Vampiric weapons so he heals up after each hit could be useful for extending his life. I think there is an actual "vampiric" enhancement somewhere, but I know Wrathful Healing is a +2 enhancement in Enemies and Allies (otherwise the most useless 3rd edition book ever) that heals you 1/2 damage dealt by the weapon each time.

Instead of ghouls, consider having him work with shadows. The STR drain should help keep him around longer and give him the flanking for his backstabbing. They might even consider the shadows more of a threat and target them first. Easy enough to come up with a reason in RL why he is in control of them or they are following him around.

Since his gear will probably end up with the pcs, you might consider giving him the blindfighting feat and then some smoke sticks or similar items to create obscured vision. Waaaaay easier to deal with than overpowered pcs also armed with ludicrous amounts of magic items. That or give them a bag of devouring with their stuff and they'll probably cram some of his stuff in there and maybe some of their own and that'll handle the problem for you. ;)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Resonant Curse wrote:Take the "Quick" character trait (kind of like minor feats with a drawback built into them to balance them out) from Dragonlance. +10 ft movement at -1 hp per character level. You can always blow one of his feats on the feat that gives you +1 hp per level (brain is blanking at the moment) to negate that penalty.
If you're going to blow a feat anyway, you might as well just take the Dash feat from Complete Warrior (+5 ft movement in light or no armor). You don't have to be a LOT faster than your opponent to outrun them, just faster at all. (by the RAW, at least, until you start having to make endurance checks... This is why I like the PF chase rules).

More thoughts later, but yes, Rogues are very squishy, even several levels higher than the party. They shine with allies that can flank with them. Spring Attack is also nice, because they can spring in to flanking position, then out to safety, where their opponent will have to take an AoO from the ally if they want to pursue. The downside is giving up on full attacks, but at least you don't get hit by full attacks.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Skyrock wrote:It's not too bad if the Masked Madman gets wiped out quickly - he is just a lonesome mini-boss, and the meat of the module is the zombie lord.

That being said, if you want him to become actually fearsome, henchmen are a must. 3.5 rogues need regular sneak attack damage to stay competitive, and without allies that help them to flank they fare terrible.

The major concern for melee rogues is their squishiness. Suffering from mediocre AC and HP is a problem, especially when you are obviously meant to be the BBEG of the encounter the PCs will focus on. Bracers and means of quick self-healing are a must-have - maybe regeneration / fast healing?

I am definitely giving him some henchmen. Sneak attacking the shit out of things. I want them to be afraid.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Resonant Curse wrote:I can type up more helpful stuff later, but here's a few options for getting some of your things in there.

Boots of Striding and Springing for speed and that height jump to get to roofs you used.

Take the "Quick" character trait (kind of like minor feats with a drawback built into them to balance them out) from Dragonlance. +10 ft movement at -1 hp per character level. You can always blow one of his feats on the feat that gives you +1 hp per level (brain is blanking at the moment) to negate that penalty.

There was an entire dragon magazine article full of sneak attack related feats that were pretty good. I'd need to look up which magazine it was in though. Those tended to be pretty awesome. There were ones for using both weapons on attacks of opportunity for dual wielders, etc.

Vampiric weapons so he heals up after each hit could be useful for extending his life. I think there is an actual "vampiric" enhancement somewhere, but I know Wrathful Healing is a +2 enhancement in Enemies and Allies (otherwise the most useless 3rd edition book ever) that heals you 1/2 damage dealt by the weapon each time.

Instead of ghouls, consider having him work with shadows. The STR drain should help keep him around longer and give him the flanking for his backstabbing. They might even consider the shadows more of a threat and target them first. Easy enough to come up with a reason in RL why he is in control of them or they are following him around.

Since his gear will probably end up with the pcs, you might consider giving him the blindfighting feat and then some smoke sticks or similar items to create obscured vision. Waaaaay easier to deal with than overpowered pcs also armed with ludicrous amounts of magic items. That or give them a bag of devouring with their stuff and they'll probably cram some of his stuff in there and maybe some of their own and that'll handle the problem for you. ;)
Can I just say that you are a genius? Yes, vampire weapons! I would need to look up how they work, but if he can get more healed by being all stabby, that would help the limited HP situation.

As for the gear ending up with the PCs, I like where you are going, but I think i can have his gear given back to the town afterwards, it shouldn't be the hugest issue. Let's keep this in mind but focus first on building out a scary as shit guy and then move to figuring out how to fit him in. I want all options on the table.

Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:Take the "Quick" character trait (kind of like minor feats with a drawback built into them to balance them out) from Dragonlance. +10 ft movement at -1 hp per character level. You can always blow one of his feats on the feat that gives you +1 hp per level (brain is blanking at the moment) to negate that penalty.
If you're going to blow a feat anyway, you might as well just take the Dash feat from Complete Warrior (+5 ft movement in light or no armor). You don't have to be a LOT faster than your opponent to outrun them, just faster at all. (by the RAW, at least, until you start having to make endurance checks... This is why I like the PF chase rules).

More thoughts later, but yes, Rogues are very squishy, even several levels higher than the party. They shine with allies that can flank with them. Spring Attack is also nice, because they can spring in to flanking position, then out to safety, where their opponent will have to take an AoO from the ally if they want to pursue. The downside is giving up on full attacks, but at least you don't get hit by full attacks.
Spring attack! Yes! I love it, maybe some slightly beefed up ghouls keeping the PCs busy as he jumps and springs all over the battlefield wreaking havoc?!

Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Quinntonia wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:I can type up more helpful stuff later, but here's a few options for getting some of your things in there.

Can I just say that you are a genius? Yes, vampire weapons! I would need to look up how they work, but if he can get more healed by being all stabby, that would help the limited HP situation.

As for the gear ending up with the PCs, I like where you are going, but I think i can have his gear given back to the town afterwards, it shouldn't be the hugest issue. Let's keep this in mind but focus first on building out a scary as shit guy and then move to figuring out how to fit him in. I want all options on the table.
I'm pretty sure Wrathful Healing worked exactly as described, no saves or anything since it isn't doing extra damage. I think vampiric is something DC 14 fort save when struck or it drains 1d4 hit points and gives it to the wielder? Wrathful healing was definitely the better option though unless you were using a dagger.

Also, if you really feel like scaring the crap out of them if they have it dragged out combat, throw in Wounding (either 3.0 or 3.5 versions depending on your preference, both are nasty) and Greater Wounding weapons.

Wounding (3.0): +2 enhancement. Wounds don't stop bleeding. 1 cumulative damage for each wound struck until a healing spell or DC 12(?) Heal Check is made. Note there are also "barbed" arrows somewhere that do the exact same thing but aren't magical. So if you want to start off with some sniping, there you go. Just throw him a handful and have them all break when pulled out if you don't want the pcs to have them.

Wounding (3.5): +2 enhancement. 1 temporary con drain per hit. (Note, this adds up fast)

Greater Wounding: +4 enhancement. 2 temporary con drain per hit.

If you want to completely scare the crap out of the players have it be a Wounding and Greater Wounding weapon. +7 enhancement, but really you don't need to give him much more gearwise to scare the crap out of the players, even if he goes down quick. The HP loss alone from that will be pretty quick.
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

I gave my guy poison and he had halfing's from port de hour with darts also he hired.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Image
Thank you. This wil terrify my players as it now haunts my dreams.

Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Resonant Curse wrote:
Quinntonia wrote:

I'm pretty sure Wrathful Healing worked exactly as described, no saves or anything since it isn't doing extra damage. I think vampiric is something DC 14 fort save when struck or it drains 1d4 hit points and gives it to the wielder? Wrathful healing was definitely the better option though unless you were using a dagger.

Also, if you really feel like scaring the crap out of them if they have it dragged out combat, throw in Wounding (either 3.0 or 3.5 versions depending on your preference, both are nasty) and Greater Wounding weapons.

Wounding (3.0): +2 enhancement. Wounds don't stop bleeding. 1 cumulative damage for each wound struck until a healing spell or DC 12(?) Heal Check is made. Note there are also "barbed" arrows somewhere that do the exact same thing but aren't magical. So if you want to start off with some sniping, there you go. Just throw him a handful and have them all break when pulled out if you don't want the pcs to have them.

Wounding (3.5): +2 enhancement. 1 temporary con drain per hit. (Note, this adds up fast)

Greater Wounding: +4 enhancement. 2 temporary con drain per hit.

If you want to completely scare the crap out of the players have it be a Wounding and Greater Wounding weapon. +7 enhancement, but really you don't need to give him much more gearwise to scare the crap out of the players, even if he goes down quick. The HP loss alone from that will be pretty quick.

I like the 3.0 Wounding effect. It is much more like the 2AD&D version I remember. But maybe I have the dagger do some kind of Wounding, with the ongoing HP loss and a 2 points Con reduction? And the his dual wielded short sword can also like the Wrathful Healing thing for his short sword.

OK, that might handle his hit point issues, now what do I do?

Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Try a few single use items (again, to keep stuff away from the PCs or give them limited benefit) like potion of spider climb, haste, etc.).

Boots of Striding and Springing again would be a major suggestion. +10 ft movement and +20 on jump checks and removes height limitation.

Bracers of armor, rings of protection, amulet of deflection, the basic armor boosts.

Could give cloak of Evlenkind or similar items so he can get added chance of getting a drop on them.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mod note: Quinntonia, there's no need to quote an entire post when responding. Please edit your quotes down to the relevant points that you're answering, thanks.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Thanks for the webiquette pointer, will take to heart.