Dominic d'Honaire, Darklord of Dementlieu (5th Edition)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Dominic d'Honaire, Darklord of Dementlieu (5th Edition)

Post by Jal »

First, let me say that this is my first post on these messageboards. So, here's a short introduction:

"Jal" was the name of my first Ravenloft character, a chaotic neutral half-vistani bard. He came very close to dying during our very first session when he was overrun by ghouls in a country-side inn. After that, Jal, learned the Dark Speech (Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, pg. 85) and became a dirgesinger (Libris Mortis: Book of Undead, pg. 43). Eventually, he would save a sorceress from the fires of persecution and put a stop to the evil reign of a charlatan priest that commanded a powerful dullahan warrior. In the end, he was unable to set the horseman free, choosing instead to become the creature's new master. Though that campaign was short-lived, the dirgesinger remains, to this day, my all-time favorite D&D character that I've ever played.

And now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk about the Darklord:

Dominic d'Honaire is awesome. He's the perfect villain in my mind. He's not particularly strong or physically capable, but he's sinister and cunning. His ability to manipulate others is as devious as it is creepy (or perhaps "disturbing" is a better word). In any case, he's my favorite Darklord, and now that we've got this new edition of D&D, with an entirely new box of toys to play with, I've decided I'd try my hand at re-envisioning his statistics.

The DMG still hasn't been released yet, so I'm not sure if I did this right, but here's my attempt in any case:

The artwork was done by Talon Dunning (http://everwho.deviantart.com).
Last edited by Jal on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:11 am, edited 20 times in total.
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Dominic d'Honaire, Darklord of Dementlieu (5th Edition)

Post by Skyrock »

I think condition immunity against being frightened would also be very apt in 5e.
Maybe also damage resistance to psychic damage?

Crown of Madness is a bit too flashy for my vision of d'Honaire, with that jagged metal crown protruding from the forehead - but the actual effect sure fits.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Ah, true--immunity to the frightened condition would be fitting, as he was immune to "mind-affecting effects" in 3rd edition.

And I agree that his powers are more subtle than that, but perhaps the DM can alter the ability as not to appear so obvious? Blank, expressionless eyes, dulled in color, would work as an alternative, for example.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Welcome and congratulations on a nice addition!
I like the format and the pic is a nice touch.

I would juuust like to add that Dominic as presented is probably CR 5-7, so he would have a +3 proficiency. Feel free to say: He's a darklord so his proficiency bonus is +5.
If I also may, why not give him a ring of protection+2 or similar item to boost his AC a bit and lower his hp a bit (to say 12d8=54)?
Those are obviously suggestions, feel free to ignore them if you so want.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Thanks!

I was basing his proficiency bonus off his HD; I hadn't realized it was supposed to be based off his CR (a problem for me since I'm not sure what his CR should be). Dominate person at will is a strong ability--are you sure he'd only be CR 5-7?

Regarding his hit points and AC: I inflated his HD in an attempt to make up for his low Constitution score and Armor Class. A ring of protection could also work. I had thought about giving him one, but I figured magic items would be rare in Dementlieu (though if anyone would have one, it would certainly be Dominic).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jal wrote: I hadn't realized it was supposed to be based off his CR (a problem for me since I'm not sure what his CR should be). Dominate person at will is a strong ability--are you sure he'd only be CR 5-7?
No. :)
Did that answer your question? But really CR 4-8 is prof+3 and he really doesn't seem as tough as a fire giant. But I believe* that Dominic would be a "suitable" encounter for a 6th lvl party if he has 54 hp.
* as in gut feeling, haven't tested him.

And since all his buck is on the dominate, you need 3-4 test runs to "lock it down". If the dominate goes awry on the fighter the first round, then he's toast. Also remember that dominate person is concentration now. He can only have one person dominated in a battle and just till he gets serious damage.
With his abysmal con save, he has little chance to keep concentration if he's damaged, and with his low AC he has little chance once attacked to not get damage.

So, in light of those, I would suggest:
Dominic uses dominate person at will, at 7th lvl.
Put a note that he doesn't have to keep concentrating on a suggestion, so he can use it truly at will.

PS. Why inflate his HP that much? Dominic shouldn't IMO ever be caught alone, and if caught alone, he shouldn't be hard to take down.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Good suggestions. I inflated his hit points because I wanted his CR to be around that of his 3rd edition counterpart (10). That said, he's likely never to be encountered without a handful of knights (from the Monster Manual). I think toning him down to CR 6 would fit the spirit of Ravenloft.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If I may, if you want to keep his HP at around 70, then rise his con. Along with a ring of protection+2 that would give him a +3 to +4 to concentration, so he won't be as prone to lose concentration.
PS. CR6 (based on his hp) is between the "old" Dominic of 2nd edition and the "new" Dominic of 3rd edition, and actually closer to the 3rd edition one. Yet, I see where you come from. Dominic is not a warrior so if he has fewer than 50 hp, a 5th-6th lvl party can take him down in a single round with two well-placed spells.
For attacks, it's not that much a problem with his ability to pull someone in to take the blow. Throw in a potion of invisibility so he could escape tough spots and leave battle to lackeys and he's in good place.

I say, ultimately, choose how many hp you want Dominic to have. I believe that with ~50 he's CR 6 and with ~70 he's CR 7... if he has a way to keep his concentration.
A potion of invisibility here would go a LONG way. He dominates a PC and becomes invisible.
It could be just a nuisance if the rogue was next to him and found where he ran to, on how fast the fighter throws off the dominate etc OOOOR ... it could be significant problem if the PCs have next to no chance to find him, while their fighter attacks them again and again. Again, even in this case, an area spell would disrupt his concentration and while damaging the party, it would make him lose the dominate.
He certainly is not a stand and fight type. He would lose fast. And I think that's OK and in-theme.

At any case: His CR would give him a +3 proficiency most probably. Give him as many hp as you think between 40-70 and he'll be in that bracket still (I think based on instinct)
My DMGuild work!
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Decided to lower his hit points with the justification that he will likely be able to position himself well enough in combat to avoid being attacked directly most of the time, and if he is, he can use one of his Obedient to deflect one attack per round (with his "Unwilling Shield" ability; which would automatically succeed, since the dominated creature would simply choose to forfeit the saving throw).

Add some choice potions and terrain/escape routes, and he's golden. I can definitely see him leading the PCs on a chase through secret corridors riddled with traps--traps that he, of course, knows how to circumnavigate.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Glad to be of help!
Welcome to the FoS. We're a helpful bunch here.
My DMGuild work!
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Thanks again, I appreciate your input. Was fun putting this guy together--not sure I'll ever use him, though. I'd have to come up with an adventure that could do him justice... unless there's already one published that features him? (The only Ravenloft book I own is the 3rd edition/D&D/Sword & Sorcery campaign setting book).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I like your format Jal.
Do you do it with LaTeX? If yes, could I please have the template?
My DMGuild work!
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

alhoon wrote:I like your format Jal.
Do you do it with LaTeX? If yes, could I please have the template?
seconded :)
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Jal
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jal »

Sorry guys, I'm much more low-tech than that. I used Microsoft Word to create this, haha--copy/pasting images to imitate the 5E statblock.