A facelift for La Maison

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A facelift for La Maison

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Brothers Ambrose and Viktor finished the incantation, and the last of the protective spells settled in on the newly restored ballroom of La Maison Soulombre. Dommer Zoltan looked on with grim satisfaction. There was nothing wrong with the spells, or the reconstruction, carried out by charmed locals. The Hazlani diabolist simply always looked grim. Ambrose cast a look about the ballroom, and broke the silence, "You'd hardly know a rift in the fabric of the world blew an interdimensional hole in the floor last year."

Viktor concurred, "Indeed, but I'm still not convinced that these silk drapes and beaded curtains are necessary parts of the containment spell." The professor and the gnome both glared Zoltan. Their zarong-clad colleauge grimly ignored the barb, and grimly signalled to his manservant seated in the corner, who began to pluck out a grim tune on a baglama...
-----------------------------------

Welcome to the newly upgraded Cafe de Nuit, now running phpbb3.0.7PL1!

Hopefully everything made it over OK, and things will be faster and more stable now. If you notice anything missing, please notify GonzoRon via PM or email.

This version of the forum software has a bunch of new bells and whistles, some of which I haven't even played with yet, so feel free to explore, and again, contact me if anything goes wrong.

Some of our skins had to be replaced for the new version. (goodbye, myth2, I'll miss you!) Try out some of the new ones, hopefully you'll find one you like or can get used to. (hi, hermes_gray, nice to meet you.)

Perhaps the most exciting of the new features is the dice-rolling mod. I've only enabled it in the Roleplaying Boards forums, for now. To roll dice, use the code [dice]3d6[/dice], [dice]1d20[/dice], etc. I don't think it handles + well, so add any modifiers separately. To avoid dice tampering, die rolls can only be removed by a moderator. I'm not sure how securely that works, so if anyone finds a way to break it, let me know. You can set the look of your dice (text, or 2 different image sets) in you user control panel, under Board Preferences->Edit Display options. This mod is still in beta-test, so don't be surprised if something goes wrong. If it does, guess who you should contact...

The search table is currently rebuilding, so searching might not work 100% for a day or so.

HuManBing, I don't know why [ center ] doesn't work in signatures, but works everywhere else. sorry your sig will be messed up until I figure it out.

Special thanks to Nerit for pushing for this upgrade (and finding the new skins), and her Shattered City brethren for rallying to the cause!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A facelift for La Maison

Post by steveflam »

OK so I have to redo my choice of boards again? Oi Vey!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Three cheers for Gonzoron!

Hip hip, hooray! Hip hip, hooray! Hip hip, hooray!

Three cheers for Nerit!

Hip hip, hooray! Hip hip, hooray! Hip hip, hooray!

Now to examine this dice-roller. I already observe that it always rolls the raw-dice, so modifiers have to be added subsequently. Any anti-tamper features?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

The Darkonian anchorite cheers abreast the mysterious man (who is possibly wolfish and a bit shadowy, at the least very sadistic)!

Thank you, Gonzoron, so far so good!

And Tarlyn, it's shiny. You get to pick which shiny. This is good.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Nerit wrote:The Darkonian anchorite cheers abreast the mysterious man (who is possibly wolfish and a bit shadowy, at the least very sadistic)!

Thank you, Gonzoron, so far so good!

And Tarlyn, it's shiny. You get to pick which shiny. This is good.
I chose green instead of grey ;)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

At first I was sad that I didn't get my pretty red and black background, but this dark fantasy bg skin isn't bad.

Everything else seems better. Heck, even the window I am writing this message in looks better.

Great job guys, BBQD approves. Now to check out that dice roller...
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:At first I was sad that I didn't get my pretty red and black background, but this dark fantasy bg skin isn't bad.

Everything else seems better. Heck, even the window I am writing this message in looks better.

Great job guys, BBQD approves. Now to check out that dice roller...
Dark Fantasy was also my choice. It's really awesome and I think I'll quickly forget chronicles (though I liked it so much!)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

I always liked the old board, and didn't really have any complaints bout its structure,
have had a question for years however about the main/default skin. Why on a RLoft board, do we have a c.WWII era-looking village from a Medal of Honor game, with what appears to be a prominent Waffen-SS eagle on the side as our main forum logo? I'm not criticizing, just wondering . . .

BTW is there any thought about switching to perhaps Korinna or similar font for a more Ravenloft feel? Just a thought, the new font's a bit tough on the eyes IMO. :oops:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Great job with that guys! I don't need to go find my dice everytime now lol.

But why doesn't work for me? I did something wrong?

[dice]1d20[/dice]
Last edited by VAN on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

You can only use it the game threads Van. So for you, in Cafe de Nuit or Ravenloft Origins ;)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tarlyn wrote:You can only use it the game threads Van. So for you, in Cafe de Nuit or Ravenloft Origins ;)
OK, apparently I need to emphasize this more, since more than one person missed it. Now bolded above.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

LadySoth wrote:I always liked the old board, and didn't really have any complaints bout its structure,
have had a question for years however about the main/default skin. Why on a RLoft board, do we have a c.WWII era-looking village from a Medal of Honor game, with what appears to be a prominent Waffen-SS eagle on the side as our main forum logo? I'm not criticizing, just wondering . . .
A good question. Honestly, I never noticed the eagle before, or pinned the village down to a time period. Always saw it as a sort of generic decrepit village, which one might find in the backwoods of Barovia or somesuch, which I assume is what the original admin (ScS?) was going for. I actually had to bring the graphics over from the old version, since the new version of the same skin looks like this:
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/in ... yle_id=215

I'll edit out the eagle when I have a chance...
ETA: Done! If you refresh your browser, you should see the offending symbol gone. I left a small part that conveniently bears a passing resemblance to our own oroboros symbol. A secret FoS facility perhaps? ;)
BTW is there any thought about switching to perhaps Korinna or similar font for a more Ravenloft feel? Just a thought, the new font's a bit tough on the eyes IMO. :oops:
New font? seems same as the old font to me. Which skin are you using? might be possible to change it.
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

The Clanz skin was originally designed for shooter game guilds/groups/clans, thus WWII decor. This is also the skin that breaks with widescreen viewing, at least for myself, and has had some funky post issues from what I've read in the tech help forum.

Korinna font is not a default font, and so if used it would require viewers to either download it or ignore it (at which point the browser switches to the next font on the list, the "closest" one it has, or a default font). On the other hand, changing fonts in forum skins is relatively easy if one has access to the stylesheet. Also it is pertinent to know which skin you are using.
Nuray Solak
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nerit wrote:The Clanz skin was originally designed for shooter game guilds/groups/clans, thus WWII decor. This is also the skin that breaks with widescreen viewing, at least for myself, and has had some funky post issues from what I've read in the tech help forum.
Hmm... I don't see any problems on my widescreen laptop. Nor have I heard of any posting issues, though I don't use the skin myself. Given the option, I'd like to keep it as the default, since the default is what everyone sees first, it gives a bit of continuity not to change it much. But I'd be interested if you could point me towards any discussion of the posting issues.
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

Seizure Inducing Post Field Expansion! or something like that. I have been lucky, but it was something I noticed regarding the Clanz skin, hehe.
Nuray Solak