Mr. Mangrum's Timeline

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

I'm also interested (In BlueBomber's, Band's and Cure's timelines)! May you send them to me via E-Mail? Besides the Gazetteers, the only book I have in RL 3e is Champions of Darkness, so I could make a small timeline based on it, but I guess it is one of the most hated RL books ever, and few of you would be remotely interested... Am I right?
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

I have emailed a copy and I link to it (minus formatting) here in the forum follows: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... nova+vaasa
The cure for what ails you
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

WolfKook wrote:Besides the Gazetteers, the only book I have in RL 3e is Champions of Darkness, so I could make a small timeline based on it, but I guess it is one of the most hated RL books ever, and few of you would be remotely interested... Am I right?
I would like the additional detail. And perhaps you might unearth a temporal incontinuity which would oblige a reinterpretation of the Sheriff Von Zarovich. (It would be nice if he happened to be dated from a little after Strahd went into hibernation and to the night or two after the count returned from hibernation, the implication being that he was in fact a fraud profitting off of the Lord's absence.) In any case, the better we know the facts, the better we can then twist them to our liking.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Well, ah, see here is the thing. I was about to post my timeline here when I noticed that it was missing Gaz 3. I don't know why that Gaz was missing from the timeline. I suspect it was Lord Godefroy who erazed it from my computer so no word about him gets out. :wifred:

Or it could have been d’Honaire "convincing" me that I had already include Gaz 3 in the timeline months ago when I really had not. Or I could have just been distracted by something bright and shiny.

In any case, give me a couple of days to correct the problem. I have already been through the Dementlieu chapter and added it to the timeline. I should be able to finish the rest of it in a day or two. So, I went it is done I will post it here in this thread. After I have posted, if anyone wants an email copy of it, just send me a PM with your email address.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

cure wrote:I would like the additional detail. And perhaps you might unearth a temporal incontinuity which would oblige a reinterpretation of the Sheriff Von Zarovich. (It would be nice if he happened to be dated from a little after Strahd went into hibernation and to the night or two after the count returned from hibernation, the implication being that he was in fact a fraud profitting off of the Lord's absence.) In any case, the better we know the facts, the better we can then twist them to our liking.
Excellent. I think I'll be able to post it a little later than HMB :)
William Blake
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Here is the timeline. I used the Barovian Calendar only for the years, and made no distinction between false history and real.

Gaz1 Gazetteer Volume 1
Gaz2 Gazetteer Volume 2
Gaz3 Gazetteer Volume 3
Gaz4 Gazetteer Volume 4
Gaz5 Gazetteer Volume 5
Gaz4we Web enhancement for Gazetteer Volume 4

-1388 Forlorn: The beginning of the Forfarian calendar and the establishment of the Kingdom of Firfair by the great King Caral FirFair. The land had been faced with invasion by the Blars, warlike tribe from the north. Caral convinced the clans to work together to drive off the Blars. He slew the chief of the Blars at the battle of Deargleitir (“Red Hillside”). [Gaz1]

-436 Forlorn: After an invasion and occupation by the Merionites, the Forfarians threw out the invaders but did not reestablish the kingdom of FirFair. The Barony of Forfar was established by Clan ApBlanc and Donnan ApBlanc became the first Baron. [Gaz1]

-345 Hazlan: The Nameless King led the Mulan and the Rashemani slaves to Hazlan and conquered the nonhuman, Vossath Nor. [Gaz1]

150~ Mordent: Mordentshire was first settled. [Gaz3]

155~ Borca: Lech Cosco seized a monastery of Andral on a hill and named it Lech’s Mountain. The site would eventually become the city of Lechburg. [Gaz4]

168 Barovia: First founding of the state Church of Andral [Gaz1]

180s Mordent: Jacques Renier settled in Mordentshire. [Gaz3]

205 Forlorn: In the winter, the Baron of Forfar, Gillian ApBlanc, joined with the other Barons of the Western Highlands to attack the March of Goteer. [Gaz1]

206 Forlorn: Gillian ApBlanc celebrities the marriage of his daughter, Flora to Rivalin ApTosh in the spring. Rivalin joined with the forces invading the March of Goteer. He killed the Earl of Goteer, DunDugan, in battle but was killed during the invasion. [Gaz1]

207 Forlorn: In the winter, Flora gives birth to her child, fathered by Rivalin who had become a vampire. The townsfolk try to kill Flora and her monstrous child, but she escapes into the woods where she gives the child to a group of druids. Later the townsfolk capture her and hang her from a large oak tree in the forest. [Gaz1]

222 Forlorn: The druid Rual is found dead beside the same oak tree where Flora ApBlanc was killed. [Gaz1]

230~ Barovia: Appearance of the Neureni Horde. The Neureni advanced from the west as far as Vallaki. The Neureni invasion was stopped by the General-Princess Nicoleta von Zarovich. [Gaz1]

231 Forlorn: The grove surrounding the large oak tree catches fire, reducing every tree in the grove except the large oak tree to ashes. [Gaz1]

250 Forlorn: Baron Gillian ApBlanc and his wife both die in the same year with no heir. Blane ApFittle was given the title of Baron. [Gaz1]

250~ Tepest: The Seduction of the Fey occurred. The fey tried to ruin humanity by offering control of raw magical power to the wise women of each clan. Most refused, but those that did not were twisted into hags. [Gaz5]

251-263 Barovia: Nharov Gundar led his people from the “land where the sun dies” to settle in Gundarak. [Gaz1]

314 Barovia: The assassination of Izabela Dilisnya over a disputed silver mine begins the War of Silver Knives between the Dilisnya, Petrovna and Katsky noble families. [Gaz1]

316 Barovia: Count Barov von Zarovich commands the noble families to end the War of Silver Knives. [Gaz1]

320 Barovia: The Terg invasion of Barovia comes from the east. Led by their leader Dorian the Unstoppable they quickly conquered most of Barovia. [Gaz1] Leo Dilisnya is born, the youngest son of Pidlwik Dilisnya. [Gaz4]

320~ Valachan: A tan-skinned tribe of humans called Vaasi begin the Pacification of the dark skinned natives of Valachan. [Gaz4]

325 Borca: Barovian armies had forced the Tergs back from Borca. [Gaz4]

326 Barovia: Winter siege of Krezk by Strahd von Zarovich I. [Gaz1]

340~ Valachan: Yutow the Provider sacrifices himself to end the Pacification, and mergers the two races into one. [Gaz4]

341 DM Barovia: Sergei von Zarovich joined the clergy of Andral and was given the Bright Blade. [Gaz1]

346 Barovia: Count Barov von Zarovich and Countess Ravenia von Zarovich are slain by the Terg. [Gaz1]

347 Barovia: Strahd von Zarovich I defeats the last Terg army near the village of Barovia. [Gaz1]

349 Barovia: Strahd von Zarovich I finishes rebuilding Dorian the Unstoppable’s fortress above the village of Barovia and renames it Castle Ravenloft in honor of his mother, Ravenia von Zarovich. [Gaz1]

350 Barovia: Ba’al Verzi assassins attempted to kill Strahd von Zarovich I but failed. [Gaz1]

350 DM Barovia: High Priest Kir of Andral crafted the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. The high priest died to complete the holy symbol. [Gaz1]

351 Barovia: At the wedding of Strahd’s brother, Sergei, Dilisnya assassins struck and killed the count, his brother and his bride, and all of the guests. Shortly before the wedding, clerics of Andral created the Icon of Ravenloft. [Gaz1]

383 Darkon: The wizard Darcalus rose to power and proclaimed himself king of Darkon. [Gaz2]

398 DP Barovia: Strahd von Zarovich tracked down Leo Dilisnya at the Monastery of Silver Threads. Strahd turned Leo into a vampire and had him locked in a tomb. [Gaz1]

400~ Barovia: In the 4th century the faith of Andral died out. [Gaz1]

422 Forlorn: The minstrel, Lord ApBlanc returns to the village of Birnam and builds an estate on the outskirts. [Gaz1]

425 Barovia: The first of the Unwise Rebellions occurs against the rule of the Dukes of Gundarak and is crushed. [Gaz1]

426 Forlorn: The minstrel ApBlanc marries Isolt ApVay, a cleric of Diancecht. [Gaz1]

427 Forlorn: A son, Gilan, was born to Isolt and Lord ApBlanc. [Gaz1]

428 Forlorn: Another son, Morholt, was born to Isolt and Lord ApBlanc. [Gaz1]

429 Forlorn: A daughter, Brangain, was born to Isolt and Lord ApBlanc. [Gaz1]

437 Barovia: The second of the Unwise Rebellions occurs against the rule of the Dukes of Gundarak and is crushed. [Gaz1]

439 Forlorn: Gilan ApBlanc is killed by wolves. [Gaz1]

446 Forlorn: Morholt ApBlanc is killed in his sleep by a priest of Morrigan, Duncan ApDuguid. [Gaz1]

450~ Invidia: Treholan rose to power in Invidia through his brutal methods. He invited all the other dukes to his estate for negotiations and had his soldiers kill all that attended. [Gaz4]

450~ Dementlieu: Almost 300 years ago, Léon gathered the most intelligent members of each community of Dementlieu and created a council to rule the land, creating the Council of Brilliance. [Gaz3]

453 Forlorn: Isolt ApBlanc commits suicide by throwing herself from a window of the ApBlanc estate. [Gaz1]

470 Barovia: The first Vistani appears in Barovia at the first of the year, led by Madame Eva. Strahd von Zarovich IV made a pact of protection with the gypsies. [Gaz1]

475 Barovia: A young boy named Martyn Pelkar appeared out of the Svalich Woods rambling about the “golden morning lord”. This would be the beginning of the cult of the morning lord. [Gaz1]

493 Mordent: One December night the entire de Boistribue family disappeared with only one servant left behind driven mad with pain. No remains of the family members were ever recovered but investigations believe lycanthropes were to blame. [Gaz3]

501 Barovia: The last of the Unwise Rebellions against the Dukes Gundar is crushed by Duke Boldiszar Gundar, who orders the execution of all nobles not related to his house through marriage. [Gaz1]

502 DP Mordent: Smythe killed the young son of lord Halloway and his new bride. He was discovered by a mist ferryman and made a pack with it to guide victims to the mist ferryman. [Gaz3]

505 Kartakass: Foreign invaders attack Kartakass. The Karatakans claim the Foreigners were from Invidia and call the next century the Invidian Occupation. [Gaz1]

519 Forlorn: Marc ApBlanc returns to his family estate in Birnam. Baron Kyle ApFittle acknowledges his ownership of the estate. In the following decade he declares himself the rightful ruler of ForFar and starts a civil war against the ApFittles. [Gaz1]

525 DP Barovia: Lyssa von Zarovich was born. She is a granddaughter of Sturm von Zarovich. [Gaz1]

528 Barovia: Foreign mercenaries forced their way into Castle Ravenloft. They failed despite the fact that no guards protected the castle’s walls. Rumors began to spread that the von Zaroviches practiced black magic. [Gaz1]

542 Barovia: Azalin appeared in Barovia. [Gaz2]

543 Mordent: The last member of the Holsworth family disappeared in the Sea of Sorrow. [Gaz3]

547 Forlorn: Marc ApBlanc succeeds in defeated the ApFittles and becomes Baron of Forfar. The last ApFittle is executed in the courtyard of ApBlanc castle. Forlorn appears from the mists. First sighting of Agatha in the Lake of Red Tears. [Gaz1]

550~ Barovia: Members of a druidic order from Forlorn settled in Immol. [Gaz1]

554 DP Barovia: Lyssa von Zarovich became a vampire. [Gaz1]

566 Mordent: Lord Wilfred Godfrey marries Estelle Weathermay. [Gaz3]

568 Mordent: Wilfred and Estelle Godfrey have a daughter, Lilia. [Gaz3]

575 Darkon: The land of Arak appeared from the mists. [Gaz5]

576 Valachan: Heinrich von Ostlin united Valachan into one nation. [Gaz4]

577 Darkon: A trio of drow appeared in Arak, bringing with them the worship of the Spider Queen. [Gaz5]

578 DM Mordent: In a fit of rage, Godfrey killed Estelle with his walking stick and killed his daughter too when the little girl tried to protect her mother. [Gaz3]

579 DM Barovia/ Mordent: Azalin and Strahd entered a portal into Mordent. [Gaz2]

579 Mordent: Mordent appears from the mists. When the mists recede the entire Mournesworth family disappeared from Mordent. Lord Wilfred Godfrey killed himself on New Year’s Day after the deaths of his wife and daughter. The mysterious person known only as the Alchemist arrived in Mordentshire. In October a wave of madness and dementia swept Mordentshire. [Gaz3]

579 Darkon: A foreign wizard named Azalin was recruited into a conspiracy against Darcalus Rex. Azalin enters the king’s castle and emerges victorious. He became Azalin Rex, king of Darkon. [Gaz2]

580 Darkon: The village of Creeana was abandoned following a rampage by the Whistling Fiend. [Gaz2]

580 Darkon: Azalin Rex gathers an army to invade Barovia, but for unknown reasons the effort faltered. [Gaz2]

585 Keening: The deeper mines into mount Lament were abandoned because of time lapses that affected the miners. [Gaz5]

588 Keening: A fey spellcaster named Tristessa was executed. [Gaz5]

588 Darkon/ Keening: The Scourge of Arak destroyed the entire culture of Arak in one night and ripped the land of Keening away from the rest of Arak. [Gaz2] [Gaz5]

585 Barovia: A band of Thaani refugees appeared near Immol fleeing from Bluetspur. [Gaz1]

591 Barovia: The land of Gundarak appears from the mist to the west of Barovia. Duke Gundar and Count Strahd VII hate each other from the start. [Gaz1] [Gaz4 states 593]

603 Invidia: Bakholis came to power in Invidia. Invidia appears from the mists. [Gaz4]

613 Kartakass: The Invidian occupiers of Kartakass captured a bard named Harkon Lukas who is taken to Dargacht Keep in Skald. There he spoke to the crowd and instigated a riot that resulted in the sacking of Dargacht Keep and the breaking of the Invidian occupation. Kartakass appears out of the mist to the south of Forlorn and Gundarak. [Gaz1]

617 Necropolis: Much of Il Aluk was razed by the Great Fire. It is rebuilt by Baron Vestmar. [Gaz2]

621 Mordent: A band of adventurers uncovered the worship of a demon known as Lou’gal the Smiling One by the Gauldamon family. The heroes destroyed the family elders and scattered the rest of the family into the forests of Mordent. [Gaz3]

622 Forlorn: Goblyns made expansions to Castle Tristenoira. [Gaz1]

625 Valachan: Urik von Kharkov returned to Valachan from traveling and fermented dissent against Heinrich von Ostlin. He was arrested and taken before the elderly von Ostlin. Von Kharkov was able to slip his bonds and kill von Ostlin. Valachan emerges from the mists. [Gaz4]

641 Mordent: Yakov Dilisnya was born the son of Lev Dilisnya. [Gaz4]

643 Forlorn: Loggers from Gundarak began work in the forests of northern Forlorn. [Gaz1]

645 DM Darkon: Lady Kazandra was born in Maykle. [Gaz2]

650s Kartakass: A religious revival swept through Kartakass focused on the cult of the Ancestral Choir. The revival did not last long and faded into obscurity. [Gaz1]

656~ DM Darkon: Ebb appeared in Darkon. [Gaz2]

659 Forlorn: All Gundarakite loggers in Forlorn were suddenly slain by goblyn raiders. [Gaz1]

661 Hazlan: Yorne of the Weeping Eyes, last of the Warrowdine kings died without an heir, resulting in the beginning of the Years of Tattered Banners. During the following decades the Mulan houses waged a bitter war with each other for rulership of the land. [Gaz1]

662 Mordent: Camile Dilisnya was born the daughter of Lev Dilisnya. [Gaz4]

664 Nova Vaasa: Tristen Hiregaard was born, the son of Romir Hiregaard. [Gaz5]

666 Mordent: Yakov Dilisnya suffers a seizure during which he hears the call of the goddess Ezra to become her messenger. The First Book of Ezra is written by Yakov Dilisnya. [Gaz4]

671 Nova Vaasa: Romir Hiregaard committed suicide after his wife died of an illness. Since Romir was Prince at the time, his son Tristen became Prince at only eleven years old. His uncle, Sergei served as regent. [Gaz5] There is some discrepancy here as the appendix says Tristen was 10 not eleven and would put this in 674.

671 Valachan: Urik von Kharkov I was killed by the Cat of Felkovic. The Cat was created by the wizard Felkovic, who had gone mad when his wife left him. The Baron’s son Urik von Kharkov II became the Baron of Valachan. [Gaz4]

673 Hazlan: Hazlik born. [Gaz1]

673 Mordent: The last confirmed appearance of a Gauldamon family member. [Gaz3]

675 Lamordia: First reporting of strange creatures in the Lamordian countryside. [Gaz2]

681 Barovia: Camile Dilisnya married Siegfried Grymig. [Gaz4]

682 Nova Vaasa: Nova Vaasa appears from the mists. The Church of the Lawgiver calls this event the Second Judgment, as Nova Vaasa was pulled from its proper world. The first murder of the Signature Killer occurred this year. The victim was a barmaid at the Clever Grey Malken tavern in Bergovitsa. [Gaz5]

683 Lamordia: Lamordia is first revealed by the mists. [Gaz2]

683 Nova Vaasa: Tristen Hiregaard was knighted by Prince Kethmar Bolshnik. [Gaz5]

684 Barovia or Mordent??: Siegfried Grymig and his mistress are found murdered by poison. In later years, a wildly circulated rumor states that Camile Grymig killed them. [Gaz4]

684 Borca: Borca emerged from the mists. [Gaz4]

684 DM Darkon: Azalin summoned the night hag called Styrix to Darkon and assigned her the task of finding a way out of Ravenloft. [Gaz2]

685 Borca: Construction of the Great Cathedral is started in Levkarest. [Gaz4]

685 Nova Vaasa: The Brotherhood of the Whip rebellion resulted in the sacking of the village of Drataan. [Gaz5]

688 Forlorn: The hamlet of Forfarmax was settle just across the southern border of Forlorn. The village was founded by Hoder MacGranin. [Gaz1]

688 Borca: Camile Grymig remarried to Klaus Boritsi. [Gaz4]

688 Darkon: In the fall the first fatalities due to the plague, Crimson Death, are reported near the Boglands. The plague quickly spread through much of Darkon. By the spring of 689 the worst of the pandemic was over. [Gaz2]

689 Borca: Ivana Boritsi was born to Camile and Klaus Boritsi. Ivan Dilisnya was born. [Gaz4]

689 Darkon: Vlad Drakov and his mercenary band, the Talons of the Hawk, arrived in Darkon. There they slaughter all the inhabitants of the villages of Pound, S’realm, and Glymshire. Undead drove Drakov and his men out of Darkon. [Gaz2]

689 Falkovnia: Vlad Drakov overthrew the wizard-king Falcon the Great and seized the throne of Falkovnia in a campaign called the Bloody Ride. [Gaz2]

690 Falkovnia: The land of Falkovnia emerged from the mists. [Gaz2]

691 Tepest: The harvest of Tepest rotted in the fields, and livestock gave birth to deformed young. Tepest emerged from the mists. During the heavy winter that followed, Sir Tristen Hiregaard of Nova Vaasa sent food supplies to the people of Kelle. [Gaz5]

691 DM Falkovnia: Claude Renier and his family entered Ravenloft in Silbervas. [Gaz3]

691 Falkovnia: A plague of wererats began in Silbervas. Drakov relocated his summer palace to the city to led the fight against the creatures. The campaign would be called the Years of Impaled Rats. [Gaz2] [Gaz3]

693 Darkon: A bell tower sprouted from the earth near Nartok and went lumbering across the land before tumbling to its doom. [Gaz2]

694 Nova Vaasa: Tristen Hiregaard becomes Prince of Nova Vaasa a second time. He will serve until 698. [Gaz5]

694 Falkovnia: A wererat mauls a Talon officer in Silbervas. The Talons respond by hunting down the wererat population of the city. Later wererat sightings in surrounding domains indicate a mass exodus from Silbervas. [Gaz3] Drakov succeeded in driving the wererats from Silbervas. [Gaz2]

694 DM Richemulot: Claude and his family flee the Talons into the Misty Border. [Gaz3]

694 Richemulot: Richemulot appears from the mists. [Gaz3]

694 DP Richemulot: The Lock and Key society was formed. [Gaz3]

695 Falkovnia/Lamordia: The Winter War. Falkovnia invades Lamordia, but the troops are not prepared for the harsh winter that year. In January of the next year, the Falkovnians withdraw. [Gaz2]

695 Nova Vaasa: The Nova Vassan knight Sir Armand Rivtoff wrote the saga, The Beast of Ehrendton. [Gaz5]

695 Borca: The first service is held in the Great Cathedral as construction continues. [Gaz4]

695~ Darkon: Azalin Rex codified the religious doctrine of the Eternal Order. [Gaz2]

696 Valachan: The Hospice of Sheltered Grace, a Halan hospice near Castle Pantara, collapsed killing many including the then bride of Baron von Kharkov II. [Gaz4]

697 Borca: Camile Boritsi is rumored to have poisoned her husband, Klaus Boritsi and his mistress. Before the end of the year, she remarries Stephan Taroyan. [Gaz4]

697 DP Barovia: The Ba’al Verzi attempted to slay Nicu Moldonesti. Nicu is a vampire and was able to defeat the assassins and seize control over the group. [Gaz1]

698 Borca: Stephan Taroyan flees Borca. Camile remarries Oleh Fortich. Oleh tries to murder Camile but is murdered by her. In the aftermath, almost all of Camile’s branch of the family was poisoned. This included Yakov Dilisnya. To pacify the anchorites Camile erects a statue of Yakov in front of the Great Cathedral. This leads to a debate within the church of Ezra that lead to the First Schism. Felix Wachter lead his faction in a break from the home faith to Mordent. The church develops the Rite of Revelation to identify true followers of Ezra. [Gaz4] [Gaz3]

700s Richemulot: The nobility of Mortigny build the l’Estimé Capitale to use as a town hall. [Gaz3]

700 Darkon/Falkovnia: The first of Falkovnian invasion of Darkon fails. It will be known as the First Dead Man’s Campaign. [Gaz2]

700~ DP Kartakass: The Brotherhood of Broken Blades was founded by the bard Calum Songmaster. [Gaz1]

701 Borca: Praesidia Donella Borovsky issued an edict proclaiming witchcraft to be hag magic. Ivan Dilisnya’s mother died of poison. [Gaz4]

702 Darkon: A band of outcast calibans fled from G’henna into the Forest of Shadows. [Gaz2]

703 Lamordia: Rumors spread that Baron von Aubrecker of Lamordian struck a bargain with Drakov of Falkovnia to provide his army weapons in exchange for not invading Lamordia. [Gaz2]

703 Tepest: Wyan was born near Viktal, the son of a logger. [Gaz5]

704 Darkon/Falkovnia: The Second Dead Man’s Campaign ends in failure. [Gaz2]

705 DP Falkovnia: Vigo Drakov, an illegitimate son of Vlad Drakov is born. Unknown to Drakov, Vigo is not really his son. [Gaz2]

706 G’henna: In the village of Viashpa, a fey sat in the village square every night weeping constantly. Any who approached the fey were tortured and killed. [Gaz5]

706 Borca: The Widow’s Massacre. In the fall, a small force of Falkovnian militia are sent to invade Borca. They attack the city of Sturben causing some damage. However, only a single soldier managed to stumble back to Falkovnia. [Gaz4]

707 Dementlieu: The peasants riot in a major rebellion after 30 peasants are executed by Lord-Governor Bernard Foquelaine. [Gaz3]

707 Dementlieu: Dementlieu appears from the mists. [Gaz3]

707 Dementlieu: Dementlieuvian Annexation. Drakov ordered an invasion of Dementlieu. The Falkovnian army had some initial success, but crumbled in the face of superior weaponry. [Gaz2] The parents of Josephine Chantreaux are killed by Falkovnian soldiers on their farm. Josephine is tortured by the Falkovnians leaving her permanently scarred. [Gaz3]

707 Dementlieu: Lord-Governor Chambon becomes the head of a new Council of Brilliance. The council also includes Claude d’Honaire a resent immigrant from Mordent. [Gaz3]

708 Nova Vaasa: Othmar Bolshnik was born. [Gaz5]

708 Verbrek: Arkandale emerged from the mists. [Gaz4]

709 Kartakass: Vlad Drakov ordered a fort built on the Crimson Road in Kartakass to control trade in the realm. One night a gate was left open and wolves entered the fort and slaughtered all of the soldiers. The fort has been left abandoned since. [Gaz1]

709 Dementlieu: Warden Joan Secousse discovers a stained glass window in the ruined cathedral of Ste. Mere des Larmes that appears to match the likeness of Ezra. [Gaz3]

709 Borca: Ivan Dilisnya murders his sister, Kristina and her husband. Dorvinia is revealed by the mists, though Dorvinians insist that their land emerged from the mists in 684 at the same time as Borca. [Gaz4]

710s Kartakass: Vlad Drakov attempted through the decade to establish Falkovnian trading enclaves in the cities of Kartakass. All such attempts were unsuccessful, as the people of Kartakass drove the Falkovnians out. [Gaz1]

710 Richmulot: Gabrielle Aderre was born to Isabella Aderre. Her mother never told her who her father was. [Gaz4]

710 DM Richemulot: Jacqueline Renier’s mother murders her father, Simon Audaire. [Gaz3]

711 Darkon/Falkovnia: The Third Dead Man’s Campaign ends in failure. [Gaz2]

711 Borca: Camile is poisoned. It is wildly rumored that her daughter, Ivana Boritsi was her murderer. [Gaz4]

711 DP Borca: Ivana Boritsi creates the first ermordenung. [Gaz4]

712 Lamordia: Rudolph von Aubrecker, son of the Baron of Lamordia, died in a shipwreck on the Sea of Sorrows. [Gaz2]

713 Tepest: Refugees from G’henna descended on Briggdarrow. A large inn, the Spider House, was built in Briggdarrow in anticipation of increased trade through G’henna. [Gaz5]

714 Hazlan: The Red Wizard, Hazlik used his arcane might to subdue the warring Mulan families and end the Years of Tattered Banners. He outlawed all use of arcane magic. Hazlan emerges from the mists to the east of Barovia. The church of the Lawgiver, from Nova Vassi, quickly found converts in Hazlan. [Gaz1]

716 Falkovnia/ Richmulot: The Border War. Richmulot and Falkovnian forces skirmished on their border. The people of Richmulot rally around the Renier clan and force the Falkovnians back. [Gaz2]

716 DM Darkon: Foedus was born in Sidnar. [Gaz2]

716 DP Borca: Ivan Dilisnya married Lucretia Marzeya. [Gaz4we]

717 Nova Vaasa: A religious movement called the Claws of Sehkmaa began, with their high priest called Malken. By the end of the year, the movement was exposed as a criminal organization by Sir Tristen Hiregaard, Captain of the Kantora City Guard. Worship of Sehkmaa was outlawed. [Gaz5]

717 Kartakass: Zhone Clieous becomes Meistersinger of Harmonia. [Gaz1]

717 DP Borca: Lucretia Dilisnya gives birth to twins. She tells Ivan Dilisnya that the births were stillborn, but secretly sends the newborns away. A rumor spreads in Borca that Ivana Boritsi had an illegitimate daughter that she abandoned. [Gaz4we]

718 Barovia: Tara Kolyana was born in Vallaki. [Gaz1]

719 Nova Vaasa: Tristen Hiregaard became Prince of Nova Vaasa a third time. He will rule until 723. [Gaz5]

719 Falkovnia/ G’henna: The Starving March. Falkovnia attempted to invade G’henna. The Falkovnian army is weakened by starvation on the march and is routed by the priests of Zhakata. [Gaz2]

720 Nova Vaasa: Talgaard Bolshnik became the Kantora Strangler, killing dozens of people over the next six years. [Gaz5]

720 Tepest: The cross-Core trade through Tepest reached its peak. [Gaz5]

720 DP Borca: Lucretia Dilisnya gives birth to a son. She tells Ivan Dilisnya that the birth was stillborn, but secretly sends the newborn away. [Gaz4we]

720 Barovia: In the spring, the Black Rose appeared in Barovia and challenged Count von Zarovich X. Later the Black Rose battled Duke Gundar as well, before moving on to Sithicus and claiming the throne. [Gaz4]

720 Sithicus: The mists revealed Sithicus. [Gaz4]

721 Tepest: Wyan married Dympna. [Gaz5]

721 Richemulot: The bell of the Tinctnoires manor is not rung at the correct time and the spirits of their dead ancestors descend on the manor and kill all the inhabitants. [Gaz3]

722 Tepest: Wyan found his wife, Dympna, murdered. [Gaz5]

722 Darkon/Falkovnia: The Fourth Dead Man’s Campaign ends in failure. [Gaz2]

724 Sithicus: Elven rangers led by van Richten battled a horned ancient dead near Hroth. [Gaz4]

724 Falkovnia/Dementlieu/Richmulot: Falkovnia fought against the allied forces of Dementlieu and Richmulot and is defeated. [Gaz2]

724 Dementlieu: Executioner’s Campaign occurs. It is a border skirmish between Falkovnia and Dementlieu. [Gaz3]

725 DP Sithicus: The Black Rose pulled an entire village of halflings from their world into Sithicus through dark magic, and conducted experiments upon them. [Gaz4]

726 Sithicus: In response to halfling raids on their caravans, merchants built the Merchants’ Way, by slashing and burning the forest surrounding the path. [Gaz4]

726 Richemulot: Claude Renier ruler of Richemulot since its appearance in 694 dies. Jacqueline Renier is his successor. [Gaz3]

726 DM Richemulot: Jacqueline Renier murders Claude Renier. [Gaz3]

727 Borca: Workers at the Andaas vineyards discovered unusual toadstools growing among the vines. Only after years of aging the wine, was it discovered that the toadstools were poisonous tainting most of that year’s crops. Unfortunately many bottles had already been shipped across the Core before the discovery was made. [Gaz4we]

727 Borca: Gold Claw Massacre. Falkovnia launches a surprise attack on Dorvinia. Falkovnia Talons seize Lechberg and butcher hundreds of its inhabitants. All of the Talons soon die of toxins so powerful even their corpses remained deadly to the touch. [Gaz4]

727 Dementlieu: Dominic d’Honaire becomes a member of the Council of Brilliance after his father Claude becomes ill. [Gaz3]

728 Tepest: The Ferrier family, from Falkovnia, opened an inn in Kellee. [Gaz5]

728 Dementlieu: Lord-Governor Chambon is removed from office by a faction of nobility. Marcel Guignol is his successor as Lord-Governor. [Gaz3]

729 Nova Vaasa: Kethmar, patriarch of the Bolshniks died suddenly. Prince Othmar Bolshnik assumed the rulership of Nova Vaasa. Because he was only 21, Tristen Hiregaard was asked by Kethmar on his deathbed to become regent until Othmar was 25. [Gaz5]

729 Invidia: Isabella Aderre is killed by a werewolf. The tyrant Bakholis was killed by Gabrielle Aderre and his regime overthrown. [Gaz4] The Kartakans formed trading ties with the Invidians quickly. [Gaz1]

729 Borca, Mordent, Richmulot, Dementlieu: The Treaty of the Five Nations is signed by Borca, Mordent, Richmulot, Dorvinia, and Dementlieu. It is later renamed the Treaty of the Four Towers after the Great Upheaval. The main driving force behind the treaty is Josephine Chantreaux. [Gaz4] [Gaz2] [Gaz3]

730 Invidia: Falkovnia established a trade colony in Karina. [Gaz4]

730 Verbrek: Verbrek emerged from the mist. [Gaz4]

730 Domain unknown: Last reported raid by goblyns outside the border of Forlorn. [Gaz1]

730 Tepest: Wyan entered the clergy and married his second wife, Muirne. [Gaz5]

732 Borca: Praesidia Kristyn Stoyista rescinded the edict of Praesidia Borovsky proclaiming witchcraft to be hag magic. [Gaz4]

733 Nova Vaasa: The regency of Tristen Hiregaard ended when Prince Othmar turned 25. Othmar does not step down at the end of his term but continues in the position of Prince. [Gaz5]

733 Tepest: Gerald Ferrier became the leader of Kellee. Muirne, wife of Wyan, gives birth to a daughter, Lorelei. [Gaz5]

733 Kartakass: Luther Bedarik became the meistersinger of Skald under the patronage of Harkon Lucas. [Gaz1]

735 Barovia: Count Strahd von Zarovich XI assumes the rulership of Barovia. [Gaz1]

735 DP Richemulot: Pierre and Gerard Renier unearth the remains of Simon Audaire, Jacqueline’s father and raised him as an ancient dead. [Gaz3]

735 Forlorn: A band of mercenaries invades Castle Tristenoira to kill the Solleyder. Only two escape carrying with them a freed prisoner. [Gaz1]

736 Kartakass: The Gundarakite Conspiracy. A servant of Duke Gundar attempted to assassinate the bard Harkon Lucas and invade Kartakass with an army of goblyns and the help of Kartakan accomplices. The plot was uncovered and the plotters forced to flee. The evil priestess Radaga was slain in the Arkalias Hills. [Gaz1]

736 Valachan: The Great Epidemic of White Fever sweeps through Ungrad devastating much of the population. [Gaz4]

736 Barovia: Dr. Henrik Dominiani assassinated the current Duke Gundar, and Gundarak collapsed into anarchy. [Gaz1]

736 Barovia: Madame Magda gives birth to her daughter Inza in Gundarak. [Gaz4]

736 DP Richemulot: Balihnda the hag encounters Rudolph van Richten and flees. [Gaz3]

737 Valachan: Lady Adeline built her private estate the Scarlet Maze. [Gaz4]

737 Kartakass: Zhone Clieous again won the meistersinger contest that year over the mysterious singer called Sundered Heart. However, a week after the Sundered Heart returned and denounced Clieous and revealed him to be a werewolf. Sundered Heart, whose real name was Casimir, killed Clieous and became meistersinger of Harmonia. The cult of the Ancestral Choir is revived again. Before the end of the year Casimir was revealed to be a werebeast as well and fled. Eldon Comistev was named meistersinger. [Gaz1]

737 Tepest: Wyan’s wife, Muirne, died in child birth. The child died as well. [Gaz5]

737 Falkovnia: The town of Delmunster and the Halan Hospice of the Doe were decimated by a doppleganger plant. [Gaz2]

738~ Tepest: A married couple of anchorites moved to Tepest from Mordent to try to spread the faith of Ezra and meet with no success. [Gaz5]

738 Sithicus: A Vistani band led by Madame Magda entered Sithicus and were granted protection by the Black Rose. [Gaz4]

738 Nova Vaasa: All statues of Prince Othmar Bolshnik depict him holding the Whip of Right and the Rod of Might from this year forward. [Gaz5]

738 DM Darkon: The night hag Styrix developed the Rift Spanner. [Gaz2]

739 Barovia: Lyssa von Zarovich allied with the mind flayers of Bluetspur to overrun Barovia but the plan failed. [Gaz1]

739 Lamordia: A supernatural disease that caused madness hit Schloss Aubrecker. The disease was spread by fleas. During the outbreak, Henrik von Aubrecker, second son of the Baron, died. [Gaz2]

739 DP Forlorn: The dread treant Azenwrath is slain by the wizard Kyall. [Gaz1]

740 Valachan: Urik von Kharkov II survived a magical assassination attempt. [Gaz4]

740 The Great Upheaval

740 Nova Vaasa/ Hazlan: The Church of the Lawgiver marks the end of the Great Upheaval with a holy day on the first full moon of August. [Gaz5]

740 DP Lamordia: The Smothering of Reason begins to take affect in Lamordia. [Gaz2]

740 Hazlan: After the Great Upheaval, Hazlik reverses the ban on the use of arcane magic and founded the Red Academy and the village of Ramulai to train mages. [Gaz1]

740 The Shadow Rift: Prince Loht began an eleven year search for the Regalia of Arak scattered across the Core. [Gaz5]

740 Barovia: After the Great Upheaval, Count Strahd XI invaded Gundarak and annexed eastern Gundarak into Barovia. He conducts a four month siege of Zeidenburg that is only successful after the defenders are overwhelmed by rats breeding in the village’s mass graves. The fighting ended after the Teufeldorf Massacre when Captain Abel Ivilskova captured and killed the Gundarakite partisans under the pretext of negotiation. [Gaz1]

740 Invidia: Gabrielle Aderre encourages the militia leaders of Invidia to invade western Gundarak. [Gaz4]

741 Tepest: Wyan declared an Inquisition against the fey. In the spring he held his first trial. [Gaz5]

741 Kartakass: Eliska Vokrona won the office of meistersinger of Harmonia. [Gaz1]

741 Nova Vaasa: Sir Tristen Hiregaard restricted work on the Koshka Bluffs after many of the workers vanished or went mad. [Gaz5]

741 Falkovnia: A monstrous gray winged eel rose for Lake Kriegvogel and rampaged through the city of Silbervas, before been driven back into the lake. [Gaz2]

742 Kartakass: Meistersinger Luther Bedarik of Skald pens the scandalous opera, the Soulless Crowd, that denounces Harkon Lucas. [Gaz1]

742 Dementlieu: A bout of insanity overcomes the inhabitants of Chateaufaux. The mayor of town dies and the problems resolves themselves. [Gaz3]

743 Sithicus: All the flowers in the land of Sithicus turned black, and with few exceptions would bloom black for the next nine years. The Ashen Fever appeared in Sithicus for the first time. [Gaz4]

743 Tepest: Wyan’s Inquisition had taken hold in the hearts of all Tepestani. [Gaz5]

743 Richemulot: Girard Cavaillon attempts to broker a deal with the Falkovnian army in a coup to oust Jacqueline. It fails. [Gaz3]

743 Nova Vaasa: The coinage of Nova Vaasa was changed from the seals of the great families to Prince Othmar’s image. [Gaz5]

743 Kartakass: Harkon Lucas defeats Luther Bedarik and becomes meistersinger of Skald. [Gaz1]

744 Tepest: Castle Island appeared from the mists. [Gaz5]

744 Darkon: A coven of green hags was discovered near Lake Stagnus. Lady Kazandra was sent to Martira Bay to help control the local crime scene. [Gaz2]

744 Sithicus: The memory mirrors were shattered. [Gaz4]

745 Borca: Construction of the Great Cathedral is finished. [Gaz4] Ivana Boritsi attended the wedding of Rozalina and Elgin Dezuni. [Gaz4we]

746~ Falkovnia: Vladimir Ludzig arrived in Falkovnia. [Gaz2]

746~ Dementlieu: A printing press owned by Jules D’Aubigne begins printing disturbing messages of its own devising during the night. The house has been boarded up ever since. [Gaz3]

746~ DM Mordent: An attack was made on the House on Gryphon Hill that badly frightened Lord Godfrey. [Gaz3]

746 Invidia: Gabrielle Aderre received a visit from a mysterious gentlemen caller. [Gaz4]

747 Darkon: Corruption on the part of the baron of Martira Bay was revealed. Azalin Rex replaced him with his wife Baroness Reldkasen. [Gaz2]

747 Invidia: In the spring, Gabrielle Aderre gives birth to a son, Malocchio, whose father is the mysterious caller. Malocchio grew to adulthood in the span of months. In the fall, he seized power from his mother. [Gaz4]

748 Barovia: Ardonk Szerieza, a Gundarakite nationalist, began to agitate for the freedom of Gundarak from Barovian rule. [Gaz1]

748 Nova Vaasa: Katya Hiregaard, second wife of Tristen Hiregaard, died while giving birth to their fourth son, Mikhail. [Gaz5]

748 Invidia: Malocchio’s army discovered an underground pack of werewolves in Karina and hunted them down. [Gaz4]

748 Markovia: A colony established by Lamordians completely disappeared. [Gaz2]

748 Nova Vaasa: Lord Adal Keirin of the Rivtoff family died. The entire inhabitants of the Clinic of the Mentally Disturbed disappeared. [Gaz5]

749 Borca: Cezar Vercezzo released his opera, The Blind Gypsy. [Gaz4we]

749 Darkon: Near the end of the year, a prototype of the Doomsday Device was used to transform a Kargat officer named Lowellyn Dachine into Death. [Gaz2]

750 DP Barovia: Strahd poisoned Lyssa von Zarovich. The poison put her into a torpor from which she can only emerge from for a couple of hours each day. [Gaz1]

750 Invidia: The Gundarakite rebels under Gabrielle Aderre storm and hold castle Hunadora. Malocchio sent a small force to retake the castle but it was driven off. [Gaz4]

750 Falkovnia: All the followers of Hala at the Sisters of Mercy Hospice were massacred. [Gaz2]

750 Forlorn: During the summer solstice the druid Shelaugh led an assault on Castle Tristenoira to destroy the Solleyder. They were unsuccessful and few survived. [Gaz1]

750 Necropolis: On the winter solstice, the city of Il Aluk is devastated by an explosion of negative energy. The Shroud settles over the city turning all life it touches into undead. [Gaz2]

750 DM Mordent: The Bright Blade disappeared from Rudolph van Richten’s herb shop. [Gaz1]

750 DP Borca: Iliana Foami hatched. [Gaz4we]

751 Darkon/Falkovnia: Falkovnia invades Darkon again but it ends in failure. The baron of Nartok, Eduard Curwen conspired with the Falkovnians and was executed for treason. Burkhart Volker was captain of the guards that killed the baron. He claimed the barony for himself. [Gaz2]

751 Tepest: The Inquisition had reached its most fevered pitch. In the autumn, Wyan’s daughter, Lorelei was revealed to have consorted with the fey. She had first tried to accuse an innocent girl in her place. Shaken by this event, Wyan spent most of the next two years isolated within his home.
Most of the people of Briggdarrow were abducted by the fey. Only through the heroic efforts of foreigners were they rescued. [Gaz5]

751 The Shadow Rift: The Twilight is temporarily freed from its prison. Prince Loht was crippled by the Twilight before it was forced back into its prison. [Gaz5]

751 DM Falkovnia: Gondegal became the head of the Circle. [Gaz2]

751 Darkon: An underwater menace attacked swimmers in Lake Korst. [Gaz2]

751 Falkovnia: First reports of a new disease afflicting animals in Falkovnia. [Gaz2]

752~ Dementlieu: The chandelier of the Grand Opera Nationale falls into the audience during a performance. [Gaz3]

752 Kartakass: The Beast of the Hills appeared for the first time in the Arkalias Hills. [Gaz1]

752 Sithicus: The Vistani, Madame Magda is murdered. In the fall, Invidia attempted to invade Sithicus along with troops loyal to Azrael. They lay siege to Nedragaard Keep. The siege is ended in the Hour of Screaming Shadows that destroyed both the keep and the sieging army and formed the Great Chasm. Azrael Dak claimed the throne of Sithicus. [Gaz4]

752 Dementlieu: Helené duSuis is appointed a member of the Council of Brilliance. [Gaz3]

752 DM Darkon: Ebb left Castle Avernus, when Azalin did not return. [Gaz2]

753 DP Sithicus: The first report of the Blessed Knight rescuing someone in need near the Great Rift. [Gaz4]

753 Invidia: Gabrielle Aderre gave birth to a daughter, Lucita. Apparently Gabrielle herself does not know which of her two lovers is the father. [Gaz4]

753 Barovia: Count von Zarovich executed the burgomaster of Teufeldorf for the murder of a local Vistani. [Gaz1]

753 Necropolis: A riot occurred in Aluk Meridian. [Gaz2]

753 Nova Vaasa: Prince Othmar caused a national scandal when he began to sit in the Breat Blackstone Throne. The act almost lead to rebellion by some of the great families which was only prevented by a proclamation legitimizing the action by the Paeve Himmelsk Naeve. [Gaz5]

754 Barovia: The cult of Erlin is started by a Gundarakite called Emanuel Maryszkas. [Gaz1]

754 Falkovnia: In Stangengrad, veterans of the Dead Man’s Campaign began to be found dead with their blood turned black. [Gaz2]

755 Darkon: The bandit Galf Kloggin led his band on a raid of castle Avernus. They suffered many casualties but did escape with numerous magical treasures. In the late summer, Azalin Rex returns to Darkon and reestablished control over the kingdom. The siblings, Kasen and Almeta Constantine are made Barons of Delagia by Azalin Rex. [Gaz2] [Gaz3]

755 Barovia: The Gundarakite resistance blew up the Barovian garrison in Zeidenburg with a wagon of smoke powder, rumored to have been smuggled from Invidia. [Gaz1]

755 DP Barovia: Keeva Sixtywinters assumes leadership of the Keepers of the Black Feather upon the dead of Pyoor Twohundredsummers. [Gaz1]

756 Darkon: Azalin ordered the construction of a new highway, the Transumbra Road, through the southern Forest of Shadows. [Gaz2]

756 Tepest: Gerald Ferrier’s wife, Tala, and his eldest daughter were violently murdered. His new born infant disappeared in the attack. The town militia tracked down the killer, a grey skinned monster that attempted to sacrifice the infant. Wyan came out of his isolation to investigate the incident and has renewed his zeal in the Inquisition. [Gaz5]

756 Dementlieu: An explosion at an inventor’s house destroys three houses in Chateaufaux. The cause remains unknown. [Gaz3]

756 Barovia: S. visits Barovia in mid spring. [Gaz1]

756 Darkon: S visits Darkon in the fall. [Gaz2]

757 Lamordia: S visits Lamordia at the beginning of the year. [Gaz2]

757 Falkovnia: S visits Falkovnia. [Gaz2]

757 Dementlieu: S visits Dementlieu in the spring. Francois de Penible releases his book The Forgotten Sensations in Port-a-Lucine. [Gaz3]

757 Mordent: S visits Mordent. [Gaz3]

757 Richemulot: S vistis Richemulot. [Gaz3]

757 Invidia: S. visits Invidia in the fall. [Gaz4]

757 Nova Vaasa: Bevis Vistin, patriarch of the Vistin family, died leaving his one year old son, Grigor to replace him. Bevis’s wife, Lara acts as regent. [Gaz5]

757 Verbrek: S. visits Verbrek as the year ends. [Gaz4]

758 Valachan: S. visits Valachan at the beginning of the year. [Gaz4]

758 Sithicus: S. visits Sithicus [Gaz4]

758 Nova Vaasa: S visits Nova Vaasa. [Gaz5]
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Hmmm. Hate to say it after all your hard work, Band2, but this seems to be a mix of legitimate and false history. Most of it is valid, but other sections are either pseudo-history of the sort the Dark Powers place in the minds of new domains' residents (like Dementlieu pre-707 BC), or historical inaccuracies (Dorian was a Barovian boyar who betrayed his nation to side with the Tergs, not the invaders' leader) and/or political propaganda (like Sergei's or Morholt ApBlanc's cause of death) introduced by fallible mortals.

Maybe it'd be wisest to create two versions of the timeline: one for what residents of Ravenloft believe history to be, and another for what really went on.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Hmmm. Hate to say it after all your hard work, Band2, but this seems to be a mix of legitimate and false history. Most of it is valid, but other sections are either pseudo-history of the sort the Dark Powers place in the minds of new domains' residents (like Dementlieu pre-707 BC), or historical inaccuracies and/or political propaganda.
Well, I have to say that Band warned about that. Still, I like it very much. Thanks, Band!
Dorian was a Barovian boyar who betrayed his nation to side with the Tergs, not the invaders' leader.
I remember I fell in the same mistake some time ago. If I recall right, reading through te History chapter in the Barovia section of GazI gives the impression that Dorian was the leader of the Tergs... Have to check it, though.
Maybe it'd be wisest to create two versions of the timeline: one for what residents of Ravenloft believe history to be, and another for what really went on.
The "History of the World" article I made for the Player's Guide to Ravenloft is very close to what the "first version" would be: A collection of False History that the residents of RL believe true. I wrote it as if written by a lamordian historian who wanted to put things together, and managed to create a hideous amalgam that I guess could pass for the history of a "real" world. It is not really a timeline, but kind of a story, though.
William Blake
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

WolfKook wrote:
Dorian was a Barovian boyar who betrayed his nation to side with the Tergs, not the invaders' leader.
I remember I fell in the same mistake some time ago. If I recall right, reading through te History chapter in the Barovia section of GazI gives the impression that Dorian was the leader of the Tergs... Have to check it, though.
Gaz I does give that impression ... but then, it also gives the distinct impression that Strahd I was a candidate for sainthood. :roll: My guess is that Dorian's name has been associated with the Tergs in popular memory for so long that the historical records S consulted now tag him as being one of them.

Whoever the real Tergish leader was, he was presumably either already dead (beaten by Strahd's forces), or else too far away to get swept up by the Mists, when Barovia's darklord fell from grace. Hence, his name has been forgotten, while Dorian -- who had ruled the lands that became Ravenloft's Barovia before Strahd's army showed up; that's another reason the locals wouldn't care to remember his treachery, not wanting to admit they'd once been vassals of a turncoat -- is recalled as a Terg and not a Borjian.

The "History of the World" article I made for the Player's Guide to Ravenloft is very close to what the "first version" would be: A collection of False History that the residents of RL believe true. I wrote it as if written by a Lamordian historian who wanted to put things together, and managed to create a hideous amalgam that I guess could pass for the history of a "real" world. It is not really a timeline, but kind of a story, though.
Sounds like a fun read! :D Still, it'd be nice to have a what-people-believe timeline we could consult, distinct from the what-really-happened one, IMO. Maybe a double-column format with the "historical record" events on one side, and the covert (ugly) realities behind them, on the other? IIRC, the old Hollow World boxed set used a similar layout, to track the outer and inner histories of Mystara.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

I guess I made a timeline when I was on the project... I'll search for it and send it to you ASAP.

Edit: Well, I think it's kinda similar to Band's... I just added some parts of Mr. Mangrum's timeline that I assumed would be "public knowledge".

Edit 2: I still hope Van Richten's fans will forgive me for the treatment I gave to the good doctor in the article... I just put myself into character (A *Lamordian* scholar), and tried to think what would he think about the famous monster hunter...
Last edited by WolfKook on Thu May 17, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Blake
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

The timeline was just what was in the Gaz. I made not attempt to explain or correct contridictions with other products.

I did not make any distinction between "false" history and "real" history, because what i wanted was a "Ravenloft" timeline not a timeline of all the prime plains that domains came from. I wanted something that would show if the PCs try to research history what they would find.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Which is perfectly okay and fair. It's a helpful timeline, Band2 -- sorry if I sounded overly picky, there :oops: -- and we appreciate your compiling it.

I'm just saying that, if this thread really is a call for an "Update The Timeline" project, we ought to pull out all the stops and make the results as useful of a reference as possible. That would include drawing a clear distinction between true history, false history, and just plain wrong history.
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:I'm just saying that, if this thread really is a call for an "Update The Timeline" project, we ought to pull out all the stops and make the results as useful of a reference as possible. That would include drawing a clear distinction between true history, false history, and just plain wrong history.
It is, and I totally agree! Better yet, it can be further divided by domain, as Band did!
William Blake
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Maybe it could be laid out in a tabulated format, with columns for each event's date, location, status (real, false, secret, etc), and sourcebook. That way, the entries could be quickly re-sorted to group them in whichever manner the user finds convenient.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Maybe it could be laid out in a tabulated format, with columns for each event's date, location, status (real, false, secret, etc), and sourcebook. That way, the entries could be quickly re-sorted to group them in whichever manner the user finds convenient.
Page number also.

An excel file?

The (possible) problem is that the description can, in some cases, be very long, which may (perhaps) create formatting issues (excel formatting is not my strength).

Also, status might not always be nicely reducible to the suggested categories. Potentially an event could be undecidable as to whether it is or is not false history, or propaganda, and 'secret' in the land of the Mists is a very relative idea, i.e., secret from whom . . . .